SODA - Biggest addiction

Options
I loove the taste of soda, diet or regular and especially when it is ice cold.

I have stopped drinking soda in the past, but after a few months I say "one wont hurt" and then I am back to where I was before.

I know cutting it out would help me tremendously, but I would rather drink soda than eat lolol.

Anyone else struggle(d) with this?? How did you overcome the addiction ;)

THANKS

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Why not just exclusively drink diet soda?
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    T00GlaM0r0US Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They say it's just as bad for you as regular soda; as in retaining water etc.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I suppose it might depend on how much you drink. I sure wouldn't worry about a couple of sodas a day, but if you are drinking excessive amounts then it might be good to try to eliminate it entirely. Learn to love water, tea. Maybe buy one of those Soda Stream machines to make carbonated water and just add a bit of flavor to it.
  • AJ_G
    Options

First off, no it's not, secondly, why do you care about retaining water, fat loss is what is important, not weight loss.
  • tebmsw
    Options
    Hey, I've been in the same situation with diet soda, for about 17 years. I've been off of it for 3 months now. Quitting was rough for the first 4-5 days- I'd crash after lunch and feel achey without my Coke Zero. I've quit before, but I know this time is my last time because my mindset has shifted. I used to think of it as a harmless indulgence. I know now that it is not good for me, definitely not as kind to myself as water. But I also got angry- how many adult women are altering their energy levels so we can endlessly meet the needs of other people. How about my need to rest when I'm tired? So it feels lovely and empowered and good to myself to no longer poison myself with that.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of pop, not even that I liked it that much but working in a restaurant it's free and it gets addictive. Personally I cut it out completely several years ago, when I did try it again I found it WAY too sweet. Now I only drink diet coke once in awhile.
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

First off, no it's not, secondly, why do you care about retaining water, fat loss is what is important, not weight loss.

When you are over 300 lbs, weight loss is important and both water and fat loss will help to motivate someone like me. Why would degrade someone who just wants to get healthier. Diet soda is not healthy, and I know the only thing that I should drink is water (or as much as possible) but I drink so much soda, I could probably go through a 2 liter in a day .. and still probably drink more. Is that healthy? no! Not even if it is diet soda. And, I know that but I have failed at doing it. That is why i am asking for advice or to hear from others. I am not looking to be bashed because I would like to cut it out of my diet. It's not like I am cutting out a healthy food source; also aspartame is said to be very unhealthy.
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    Options
    Hey, I've been in the same situation with diet soda, for about 17 years. I've been off of it for 3 months now. Quitting was rough for the first 4-5 days- I'd crash after lunch and feel achey without my Coke Zero. I've quit before, but I know this time is my last time because my mindset has shifted. I used to think of it as a harmless indulgence. I know now that it is not good for me, definitely not as kind to myself as water. But I also got angry- how many adult women are altering their energy levels so we can endlessly meet the needs of other people. How about my need to rest when I'm tired? So it feels lovely and empowered and good to myself to no longer poison myself with that.

I've heard that energy seems to get better after the first so many days. I was even told by the surgeon a few months ago when I had surgery for a bad case of pnemonia, to limit my soda intake .. so i am just looking for some advice. How did you handle the first few days which tend to be the hardest?
  • AJ_G
    Options

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

also aspartame is said to be very unhealthy.
    It's not...
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of pop, not even that I liked it that much but working in a restaurant it's free and it gets addictive. Personally I cut it out completely several years ago, when I did try it again I found it WAY too sweet. Now I only drink diet coke once in awhile.

I find myself craving it, or filling a large cup several times a day. If there's a straw attached to said cup, forget about it, I will chug it in no time.
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    Options

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

I am starting to really wonder if you are just messing with me ..
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

For aspartame, this was the formerly stickied thread on it:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
  • AJ_G
    Options

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

I'm not messing with you, I honestly want to know what evidence you have to show that diet soda is unhealthy or that aspertame is bad for you
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    Options

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

I'm not messing with you, I honestly want to know what evidence you have to show that diet soda is unhealthy or that aspertame is bad for you

i'm not a scientist, I didn't even understand half of what the previous posted article said lolol, I guess I am just going by what I have read and heard from several different sources (magazines, internet, tv blah blah) which is water weight, leads to cancer (what doesn't these days) and unhealthier than regular soda .. it's hard to know what is what when you hear so many different things....but why is losing water weight not important? like i mentioned, i am over 300 lbs, to me it seems i would/should eliminate any type of extra weight including water weight .. maybe it is just that i need to become more educated on these types of subjects?
  • AJ_G
    Options

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

I guess I am just going by what I have read and heard from several different sources (magazines, internet, tv blah blah) which is water weight, leads to cancer (what doesn't these days) and unhealthier than regular soda

This is part of the problem, you shouldn't take anything you read at face value, especially if it does not cite a scientific source such as an actual peer reviewed research study. Unfortunately, most of what you are going to find in articles in magazines, the internet and on television is complete BS.

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

maybe it is just that i need to become more educated on these types of subjects?

Yes, that's exactly what you need to do. Don't listen to what other people tell you they heard or they read some article. Start doing some research for yourself. It's the only way to know what's factual and what's just misinformation.
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    Options

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

I guess I am just going by what I have read and heard from several different sources (magazines, internet, tv blah blah) which is water weight, leads to cancer (what doesn't these days) and unhealthier than regular soda

This is part of the problem, you shouldn't take anything you read at face value, especially if it does not cite a scientific source such as an actual peer reviewed research study. Unfortunately, most of what you are going to find in articles in magazines, the internet and on television is complete BS.

Diet soda is not healthy
    Based on what evidence?

It's not...

maybe it is just that i need to become more educated on these types of subjects?

Yes, that's exactly what you need to do. Don't listen to what other people tell you they heard or they read some article. Start doing some research for yourself. It's the only way to know what's factual and what's just misinformation.

Seems the only thing you can do when it comes to weight loss is really just to see what works for you. I know I have cut out soda before and it helped weightloss, which would probably be connected to the water weightloss. That to me is motivation because when you are severly overweight you want to be able to see and feel the difference. I have lost over 40 lbs in the past, but allowed myself to gain it back; so i kind of have a clear idea of what works for me when it comes to weightloss. i was reading your profile .. what is IIFMY (may have that wrong)?
  • YukiAsuna
    YukiAsuna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just drink one a day with a meal? That's what I do and I don't find myself craving soda so much anymore.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Try replacing soda with flavored seltzer. You'll still get the bubbly taste.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Honestly, since your main issue is to lose weight (I'm presuming, since you stated you're over 300 lbs), then don't worry about drinking diet soda. It's not going to harm or slow your weight loss efforts in any way. See my profile picture, it's from about 6 weeks ago. I drink 4-5 cans of diet soda daily. I know you're trying to "get healthy" and you think that cutting your soda consumption is a step in that direction, but try to loosen up your idea of "healthy" and realize that there's a LOT of information out there about diet soda, and it's very unclear whether it's harmful to your health or not. What IS clear is that being significantly overweight is unhealthy. I would concentrate on losing the weight, then if you want to try to break your diet soda habit (for whatever reason), then tackle that issue later. It's too hard to do it all at once. Good luck!!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I replaced regular soda with diet soda, then I replaced diet soda with non caffeinated diet soda (sprite) and then I replaced sprite with lime flavored club soda and now I drink water and sometimes club soda when I'm in need of some fizz.
    If you really want to stop sodas you can.