I'm an idiot: Have at me.....

Options
2»

Replies

• SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to poke anything in your ears as it could damage your hearing. But, according to Embarrassing Bodies' Dr Jessen, nose picking is a good thing :noway: :sick:

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/episodes/episode-guides/embarrassing-bodies-series-4/episode-8--periods/bad-habits/

"Guilty of a bad habit or two? We all have them, and the first to go under scrutiny is how we clean our ears. Most ear problems are actually caused by people cleaning their ears with inappropriate objects including – cotton buds. Surprisingly using cotton buds can actually make more ear wax by irritating the ear and can cause conditions like perforated ear drums. The ear canal cleverly self cleans so the best advice is to leave it well alone, and to clean the outer ear only using a wet flannel. Picking your nose is more hygienic than cleaning your ears and is a good thing to do to keep your nose in tip top condition. But naturally a tissue is the best thing to use for this, and it’s probably better not to do it in public despite the health benefits!"
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    A doc once told me you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. Apparently a drop of olive oil is best for softening the wax and then let nature take its course.

How are you suppose to clean your ears then...?

Your not.

Wax protects your ears from bugs and debris... It's actually supposed to be in there, contrary to popular belief.

If you really need to clean them, use a thin tissue rolled up or have a professional clean them out.

To OP:
    Go to the doc and make sure you haven't damaged anything.

It's damn near impossible to get to your brain unless you break the tympanic membrane.. which I highly doubt you did.
  • scling83
    scling83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I freak out about this happening to me, but thankfully it hasn't yet!
    I won't mock you, cos karma might be in a frivolous mood, and I also have cheap Q-tips...
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    A doc once told me you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. Apparently a drop of olive oil is best for softening the wax and then let nature take its course.

With what's between your legs . . .

ho ho ho.... apparently.... well im off to the store to buy some olive oil, basil, cherry tomatos and some crusty bread to wash my ears out and then have a snack. apparently is a fantastic word to put before "you can put oil in your ear" followed in brackets by (possibly said or read by noone ever)

hahaha.

look i looked it up but you have to do it 4 times a day for a week.

aint nobody got time for thAT
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Your not.

Wax protects your ears from bugs and debris... It's actually supposed to be in there, contrary to popular belief.

If you really need to clean them, use a thin tissue rolled up or have a professional clean them out.

To OP:
    Go to the doc and make sure you haven't damaged anything.

It's damn near impossible to get to your brain unless you break the tympanic membrane.. which I highly doubt you did.

Blech, while there are certainly more disgusting things in the world then poorly groomed ears I'm currently having a difficult time thinking of one while on topic. I use my Q on the outer ear and just a quick swipe at the ear hole (I'm so damn scientific), but not too deep. I grew up a swimmer and had enough ear infections and ruptures from water, swim wax. And cotton balls that I'm hesitant (to say the least) to stick that so far up there that my eyes give me a big how do.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    A trusted friend with a few min to spare and a pair of tweezers? You shouldnt leave it in there, but no way id go to the emergency room for this unless I was in serious pain.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Dude, an ear wax remover, desigined with a safety stop costs about $3.

http://www.colonialmedical.com/ear-wiz-ear-wax-remover-P-4440.html&ref=www.bingshopping.com

AND, , , if you have insurance, it'd be worth your while to pay the $50 copay and get the tip removed at a nearby "Urgent Care" facility.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

You took the words right out of my mouth--that's what I have heard, too (though I've never had anything lodged in my ears).

I do know people who've gotten ear infections from cleaning their ears too vigorously, by pushing dirt and earwax deeper into their ears. Just don't do it.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    There's nothing that could stop me from Q-Tips, nothing. Sometimes cleaning your ears is a semi-orgasmic experience.

That being said, you should go get that pulled out. :)
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Lol, this hasn't happened to me, but I guess it could. I'm pretty obsessive about my ears too. I have a short, cut over the ears haircut and the LAST thing I want is for someone to look over at me & see gunk in my ears. Yuck. I want people to notice my earrings, not earwax. :sick: Go to the doctor or clinic and expect you might get some ribbing for it. Or a lecture. :wink:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    A trusted friend with a few min to spare and a pair of tweezers? You shouldnt leave it in there, but no way id go to the emergency room for this unless I was in serious pain.

If he can get it out easily, fine. But otherwise he should go. Trust me, I worked for doctors for about, oh 15 years. They've seen it all. This is nothing for them.