PLANET FITNESS

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a membership to Planet Fitness? Yeah or nay? Opened one by me and special pricing ends on 31st going to check it out this afternoon. TIA

OP like someone said it depends on what your goals are.

I have PF membership. I use it pretty much only during winter months when roads get icy or for basic upper body workouts.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I belong to LA Fitness. I pay $17.99/month and can use any gym in my area. I did look into PF when one first opened up near me but decided not to join after looking at their so called free weight section.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've trained at one a couple of times, my impression was that if you're after a gym with lots of cardio machines and a some machine weight's and some light fre weights weights then its adequate.

however if your aspirations go beyond this your going to find the limitations of PF fairly quickly. the one I went to had fixed barbells up to 80lbs, which to anyone who wants to do more then causal lifting is next to useless

I don't need a lot from my gym, I don't need loads of machines. I am happy with a bench a squat rack an Olympic bar and 500lbs worth of plates, and a reasonable range of dumbbells
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    KingRat79 wrote: »
    I've trained at one a couple of times, my impression was that if you're after a gym with lots of cardio machines and a some machine weight's and some light fre weights weights then its adequate.

however if your aspirations go beyond this your going to find the limitations of PF fairly quickly. the one I went to had fixed barbells up to 80lbs, which to anyone who wants to do more then causal lifting is next to useless

I don't need a lot from my gym, I don't need loads of machines. I am happy with a bench a squat rack an Olympic bar and 500lbs worth of plates, and a reasonable range of dumbbells

That's all ANYONE needs really- but yet- the one thing EVERY gym should have- PF doesn't carry a single one.
    -
    shameful.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    best tanning deal, but no free weights.

i mean they have dumbbells - but no barbell... so... i dont know. maybe it's great for bodyweight work... btu so is your livingroom.

maybe if you are a runner? and you need an indoor place to run in winter? it could be helpful there. just dont think of it as a complete gym though, cause it's just an abbreviated gym. like you find in hotels.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hubby has a membership there. He got it strictly for AM cardio and tanning since it is close to home. He was also able to save money because he can use the tanning bed there and it ended up $10 less per month than the tanning salon. He needs more weight than what they have so he has a second membership. Just depends on what you are looking for in a gym.

I heard they also have hydrobeds and massage chairs. Really pamper the members.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a membership to Planet Fitness? Yeah or nay? Opened one by me and special pricing ends on 31st going to check it out this afternoon. TIA

I have a membership at Planet Fitness and at Golds.

PF is fine. Lots of cardio equipment and weight machines. There's also free weights such as DB's. Not the place to go if you want to "free" squat or bench..however you can squat or bench with a Smith machine.

I don't mind PF at all but when I want to squat I hit Golds.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

i mean they have dumbbells - but no barbell... so... i dont know. maybe it's great for bodyweight work... btu so is your livingroom.

maybe if you are a runner? and you need an indoor place to run in winter? it could be helpful there. just dont think of it as a complete gym though, cause it's just an abbreviated gym. like you find in hotels.
    I think that's a fair point, like curves.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

this is why I like to say it's a great second gym. Esp open 24 hours- and one membership gets you into ANY gym.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like PF. I don't ever see myself as someone who needs to lift weights that are not attached to a machine. Due to the cheap cost (relative, I know, but when I was broke I joined a gym for $70 a month, so now it seems like pennies), I maintain two gym memberships. One at Planet Fitness, and one at a smaller gym for women that specializes in group classes but doesn't have a lot of cardio equipment.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I like PF. I don't ever see myself as someone who needs to lift weights that are not attached to a machine.

can you explain that a little more- because this sentence kind of makes me head hurt.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just curious - is the tanning unlimited?? (I know tanning is bad) or you get a certain amount of minutes per month?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Just curious - is the tanning unlimited?? (I know tanning is bad) or you get a certain amount of minutes per month?

I believe it is unlimited. But I do not possess the ability to tan so I never used that portion of the black card lol.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Another thing
    runner475 wrote: »

OP like someone said it depends on what your goals are.

I have PF membership. I use it pretty much only during winter months when roads get icy or for basic upper body workouts.

I forgot to add to my previous post - my PF is open 24 hours. I don't know if this is across the nation. Something you may want to look into.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth: they pretty much always have those specials. Don't feel rushed into it now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I like PF. I don't ever see myself as someone who needs to lift weights that are not attached to a machine.

can you explain that a little more- because this sentence kind of makes me head hurt.
    She uses "machines", not free weights.
  • JoRocka
    Options

that part was abundantly clear. I didn't need help with that. but thanks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

so you want to know...why?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Because it's unfathomable as to why someone would want to limit their potential by only using machines for the rest of their life.
    I'm not saying to go pick up a barbell but PF has dumbbells and cable towers which are far superior to weight stack machines.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Because it's unfathomable as to why someone would want to limit their potential by only using machines for the rest of their life.
    I'm not saying to go pick up a barbell but PF has dumbbells and cable towers which are far superior to weight stack machines.
    Is she doing that for the rest of her life?

When I started lifting back in....1996. I probably thought I would only use machines. That quickly changed. But that's not true for everyone.

I also don't know if that poster considers cables "machines"...