Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I like PF. I don't ever see myself as someone who needs to lift weights that are not attached to a machine.

can you explain that a little more- because this sentence kind of makes me head hurt.
    She uses "machines", not free weights.

that part was abundantly clear. I didn't need help with that. but thanks.

so you want to know...why?

Because it's unfathomable as to why someone would want to limit their potential by only using machines for the rest of their life.
    I'm not saying to go pick up a barbell but PF has dumbbells and cable towers which are far superior to weight stack machines.
    Is she doing that for the rest of her life?

When I started lifting back in....1996. I probably thought I would only use machines. That quickly changed. But that's not true for everyone.

And I quote:
    I like PF. I don't ever see myself as someone who needs to lift weights that are not attached to a machine.

Sounds like she plans on forever to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

can you explain that a little more- because this sentence kind of makes me head hurt.

Because it's unfathomable as to why someone would want to limit their potential by only using machines for the rest of their life.
    I'm not saying to go pick up a barbell but PF has dumbbells and cable towers which are far superior to weight stack machines.
    Is she doing that for the rest of her life?

When I started lifting back in....1996. I probably thought I would only use machines. That quickly changed. But that's not true for everyone.

And I quote:

Sounds like she plans on forever to me.
    And in 1996 I didn't see myself that way either...

But whatever. He life, her body, her goals.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Personal Choice. People have right to do what they want to do in their life. Maybe she is not limiting potential. Who knows? She didn't say anything about that. Maybe she likes to be a certain way.

It would be interesting to hear what she has to say.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has free weights including bench press and a squat rack, and plenty of plates. I suggest going in and seeing for yourself what yours has. Works for me and is cheap.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What sm1zzle said is what I will repeat. HUGE fan of Golds. I think they've improved tremendously over the past several years. Went to a new Lifetime Fitness recently and it wasn't as good, poor layout and even the cardio machines weren't up to par with Golds. Golds is cheap too - and the equipment is outstanding. Like sm1zzle said - if you are serious about doing weight training, then PF isn't a good buy and by comparison the costs between the two are marginal.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has free weights including bench press and a squat rack, and plenty of plates. I suggest going in and seeing for yourself what yours has. Works for me and is cheap.

Which again, reiterates the point that not all PF's are the same. The equipment that they have depends on the one who owns that particular franchise. I wish my PF had a bench press and squat rack but it's fairly small and space is really limited. I heard a rumor that they were going to buy the store that's for sale right next door. I got excited thinking that they'd be able to knock down the wall between, move the cardio machines there, expand the weight area but it doesn't look like that's true.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I can haz curves.
  • dbmata
    Options

srsly? What's the matter with you, seagulling this thread too? >_<

Do you have something of value to add, or are you just going to just troll out as usual?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Do you have something of value to add, or are you just going to just troll out as usual?
    lol.
    I asked a simple question.

And yes, I gave the OP some information that may help her with her decision.

Your contribution seems to be to mock mine.
  • dbmata
    Options

lol.

You're just in another thread acting like a seagull. If only we had a sweet block feature. I could stop hating C3PO.

Stop trolling please.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Which again, reiterates the point that not all PF's are the same. The equipment that they have depends on the one who owns that particular franchise. I wish my PF had a bench press and squat rack but it's fairly small and space is really limited. I heard a rumor that they were going to buy the store that's for sale right next door. I got excited thinking that they'd be able to knock down the wall between, move the cardio machines there, expand the weight area but it doesn't look like that's true.

My health insurance includes access to a number of gyms, including all the local PFs. And yowsa are you right. The newer ones (here) have pretty good weights (not like my actual gym, but pretty good). Some of the older ones here have no bench, no squat racks, and ZERO barbells.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to PF and love it. This new one has 4 racks, 4 bench presses, along with a host of other cardio and strength training equipment. Since it is a month to month commitment, try it for a month.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    I recently switched to PF and love it. This new one has 4 racks, 4 bench presses, along with a host of other cardio and strength training equipment. Since it is a month to month commitment, try it for a month.

Have you lifted there? Have you lifted there with some semblance of intensity? Did you get lunked?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options

lol.

You're just in another thread acting like a seagull. If only we had a sweet block feature. I could stop hating C3PO.

Stop trolling please.

Quit threadjacking silly boy. I did no such thing.
  • LukerPslim
    LukerPslim Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i had a black membership for a little over a year. I just recently canceled it because of moving recently. PF is very much a starter gym. its cheap, its got just enough equipment to get by. it is a great place to get started, learn some basic form (the staff is trained) and get your feet wet, so to speak.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Just curious - is the tanning unlimited?? (I know tanning is bad) or you get a certain amount of minutes per month?

UNLIMITED

this was my reaction as well. Why would you only want to be strong within the confines of the movement of a machine built to have a margin wide enough to cater to all shapes and sizes, but offer no functional movement that you would encounter in the real world, while forcing your range of motion into a predestined pattern that could require you to compensate in ways that mess up your form and possibly lead to injury.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options

Exactly!
    I went to one in CT that had a bunch of benches and some smith machines.
    Another on in NH that had a cable tower and dumbbells.
    And the one I belong to in Maine has no smith machine or benches.

(all of that is in addition to weight stack machines and dumbbells)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

Have you lifted there? Have you lifted there with some semblance of intensity? Did you get lunked?

Yes, I lift with intensity and no, I do not get lunked.
  • dbmata
    Options

interesting, ever fail a deadlift and drop it?
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

interesting, ever fail a deadlift and drop it?

dbmata,
    not all PF's are created equal.
    Not all of them set off the alarm.
    I deadlifted at one of the ones I went to and dropped it, grunted, and never got the alarm set off.

I've been to a half dozen different PFs and I've never heard the alarm