Keto was the right choice for me

Options
13»

Replies

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it worked for you, and I wish you the best.

When I tried it, it was one of the most miserable experiences I had on a diet. Before I decided to prematurely terminate my planned 1 month keto experiment I was barely eating 400 calories a day, not because I wasn't hungry (I was starving), but because it got to a point where I would rather starve than eat anything from the list of allowed foods.

As a person who does not like meat, and does not like fat unless it's attached to some kind of carb, that experiment was horrible.
    Why on earth would you think keto was a good choice for you?!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

When I tried it, it was one of the most miserable experiences I had on a diet. Before I decided to prematurely terminate my planned 1 month keto experiment I was barely eating 400 calories a day, not because I wasn't hungry (I was starving), but because it got to a point where I would rather starve than eat anything from the list of allowed foods.

As a person who does not like meat, and does not like fat unless it's attached to some kind of carb, that experiment was horrible.

Yeah probably not the best choice for you amusedmoney.
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options

I mean, technically there is vegetarian keto, and I respect people for staying the course with that.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Zhost wrote: »

I mean, technically there is vegetarian keto, and I respect people for staying the course with that.
    But she said she doesn't like fat without carbs, so...

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I started keto about a week ago. I have an under-active thyroid - I take synthroid so that helps. When I eat carbs I want more.....and more....and more..... >:) I love keto because my cravings are gone. I actually feel a sense of calm now. :D I don't find myself dreaming about food or the next meal. :p After I lose 10-15 lbs, I plan on slowly adding in healthy carbs to see how my body handles them. I'll start with fruit - low glycemic and then eventually sweet potatoes and brown rice. I'll always need to keep my carbs in check, but for now I'm greatly reducing them to see how many my body can handle. <3

Thanks for your post.

I have started to slowly trying to add fruit after be in nutritional ketosis for three months but must really be carb sensitive because I seem to feel worse the next day. It may be an age related thing or just a lot of damage after 40 years of abusing carbs so they no longer like me. :)

Keep up your success.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hearing people raving how all their cravings went away, their preferences changed, they no longer even want carbs.. so on and so forth, and being the curious person I am, I decided "I want to have what they're having". Mind you, that was back when I knew nothing about nutrition, and when keto was touted as the ultimate magic, and carbs as the ultimate evil.

I'm not a vegetarian, I do eat chicken breast (hate all other parts) and fish (only white fish, tuna, and salmon - no shellfish or other seafood). I knew I did not like red meat unless prepared a certain way, but I'm okay with fish and poultry, right? Boy was I wrong! I realized how unsatisfying (mentally) animal protein is for me. I realized that I use it as "just something to accompany those potatoes", that "burger" is 2 big pieces of bread and some french fries, and once those are gone it stops being a burger, and even when a meal is predominantly animal protein I HAVE to have something with high carbs to feel content - even if it's just a candy bar to seal the meal.

When you are super obese and have been eating mindlessly your entire life, you learn a lot about yourself and your preferences when you go on a diet. Now I eat moderate carbs and I'm happy. I wish I read those posts that say "keto is a choice, not a necessity for weight loss" back when I was super obese, instead of feeling guilty and blaming myself every time I ate an apple.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No reason for anyone to criticize you for finding success on a keto diet. You are not hailing it as the only way to go, or any spurious claims about its benefits - just that it works for you...and good on you for finding something that does.