June 2013 plank challenge - for abs

Options
124»

Replies

• WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I broke a new personal record and held a 2 minute plank! I'm going for the Triple Diamond by end of month! Nice challenge!

Another good one is to incorporate side planks.
  • egrif1
    egrif1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks Faking Fitness. I'm in for the copper. Will start tonight. This will be a real challenge for me. Do planks REALLY work your core???
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Still in 60x60x60 trying to move up to the next level! :)
  • jan112
    jan112 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have planked every day in June. Started with 60 seconds each plank and am now up to 80. Planning to hit 120 by the end of the month!
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So I originally thought I was bronze, seemed that I was actually at copper at the start of this challenge :blushing:

Good news, I have moved to bronze (yay) and now aiming for SILVER as my final goal. My current sets usually look like this :

45s x 45s x45s (set 1)
    Followed by
    45s x 45s x45s (set 2)

Set 3 is usually an abysmal attempt by just reaching copper level ( or wood or paper level as it may go) :indifferent:

Should I continue to try and develop 3rd set or increase my first 2 good sets? What do you reckon people? I do feel stronger in my original sets and could probably do longer but that last set always gets me.
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    Whoo! I just achieved Copper!

I think doing the Purely Twins plank workout really helped me get here.
  • prillygirl
    prillygirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Is anyone developing calluses under their elbows or is it just me? I had to switch to the straight arm from the forearm plank because of it. My husband pointed out that it may be because I had endometriosis and consequently, a much weaker core. While holding that position, I must be putting more of the weight through my arms. Whatever the case, it's really painful. :frown:
  • scangel89
    scangel89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i'm in but does anyone know a good way to log workouts like planks? i looked in mfp and they didn't have it planks as a strength training exercise. Also what do you mean by you need a low body fat percentage to see results?
  • Herohorse
    Options
    The plank is commonly practiced in pilates and yoga, (according to Wikipedia), so maybe you could log it as that. Or as strength training. (These are all in the cardio section of exercises.)
  • jan112
    jan112 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Well I started with Silver and have planked every day in June so far and now I'm up to Platinum! Thank you so much for this challenge, I feel awesome and I will continue until the end of the month when I hope 2 minute planks feel a little easier!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great news, Jan.

How is everyone else doing with this? Nearly at the end of the month here. I am pleased to say I comfortably made GOLD a couple of days ago.

What has everyone else achieved?
  • Herohorse
    Options
    I met my goal! I got bronze!!! I am excited because I couldn't even do a low plank at the beginning of the month! Thanks for this challenge :smile:
  • DawnG128
    DawnG128 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this was from last month, but I was wondering if anyone ever figured out the best way to log a plank in our app. I have searched through the "strength" section. I am planning to start a small plank challenge myself and just want to be able to log for some accountability.
    Thank you!
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was going for Diamond but only got to 2mins x 2mins x 1min 45secs, with 30secs rest in between. Fairly with happy with that over all though.