Can someone explain Beachbody TurboFire

Please explain what it's all about and what are good workouts to work up to actually doing it or if I could just start doing it :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    well- first off- what are your goals?
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    I'm 5'4 and 134 lb. So I'm not over weight anymore ,now I would just like to burn off the extra fat and tone up
  • Winterlover123
    Someone got me the program for Christmas, now I'm at a loss for when I should use it and if my beginner workout body is ready to use it or if I need to do other workouts before I'm ready
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Someone got me the program for Christmas, now I'm at a loss for when I should use it and if my beginner workout body is ready to use it or if I need to do other workouts before I'm ready

I suggest giving it a try and stopping if you feel like you're injuring yourself.
  • Lucky dog! I haven't done this program personally but have done T-25 and other beachbody videos. Go ahead and put that video in and get started. If you are anything like myself you will feel like a fish out of water right away. Go at it knowing you will improve with time and make your ultimate goal to complete the workout with confidence. Something to challenge you and work towards.
  • afterthyroid
    afterthyroid Posts: 3 Member
    I did TurboFire when it first came out and had amazing success with it! At first, it was hard for me but I just modified it the best I could and just kept moving and before I knew it I was starting to see that I was doing moves better, keeping up more, being able to give more - it was great! I still to this day when a song comes on that is in Turbo Fire, I find myself doing the moves - in a much lower tone though since I'm at work LOL!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I'm 5'4 and 134 lb. So I'm not over weight anymore ,now I would just like to burn off the extra fat and tone up

Argh. "tone up"
  • Winterlover123
    edited December 2014
  • Winterlover123

Argh. "tone up"

What's your problem?
  • JeffseekingV

Argh. "tone up"

What's your problem?

"Tone up" is made up work. You can lose weight with that program. But I doubt it has the resistance work to "tone up". If you want to make your muscles you already have appear more, it might work (if your macros are in check). But it won't create any more muscles.

I assume you don't want to get "too bulky" right?
  • Winterlover123

Argh. "tone up"

What's your problem?

"Tone up" is made up work. You can lose weight with that program. But I doubt it has the resistance work to "tone up". If you want to make your muscles you already have appear more, it might work (if your macros are in check). But it won't create any more muscles.

I assume you don't want to get "too bulky" right?

Maybe I'm looking for a different word. Get less curvy? It's not that I want to be bulky or very muscly, and I don't want to just lose weight either, I guess I want to look better in my birthday suit? Get lean, maybe?
  • JeffseekingV
    edited December 2014
    All of those programs are basically cardio. I think if it improves your agility, balance etc.. at the same time, then it's all good. But I'd consider it just a calorie burning exercise. Unless you enjoy those things (as I enjoy bball to burn calories), it's easier to watch your diet.
    I think this meme describes my thoughts well
    feb-1389266441gkn84.jpg
    cd8cee0d5afd9f986ac432ff4952b4e6.jpg

These women might be a touch too muscular for your tastes but these are also probably the top 1-5%. If these ladies lifted this much and that's the result, I doubt you'd suddenly bulk up too much by accident.

I think every time a women mentions "toning" and some cardio DVD, I think they are missing out on a very significant part of "toning". And if they don't incorporate some type of resistance training, they set themselves up for failure.
  • Winterlover123
    Thank you for your thoughts :) What do you think of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred?
  • JeffseekingV
    I don't think anything of it. Like I said, to me, it's another variation of the word "cardio". You already have the dvd, just do it.
  • Winterlover123
    Alright, thank you
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I think you should just pop in that dvd and get started. You can always modify the moves if they are too hard. You will get there. As for 30 Day Shred, that was one of the first things I bought when I decided to do the mfp thing for real and "get toned" lol. Get some 3lb, 5lb, 7lb weights. Start with the 3s and work your way up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Okay. You need to be lifting. That's the only way you're going to significantly change your appearance without losing weight and looking exactly the same as you do know.. Which is what more cardio is going to get you.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I feel like TurboFire is most likely to just lose you more weight but not give you better muscle tone (trying not to get yelled at if I say "tone up" lol). Try to find a program that is more focused on strength and less on cardio conditioning - like anything of Jillian's. Also if you like DVDs, let me recommend Kelly Coffey-Meyer. Like Jillian, but less smarmy and also even more strength-focused than Jillian.
    -
    Check at Collage Video - you can watch clips of different videos so look for ones that focus on strength while also keeping your heart rate up.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Okay. You need to be lifting. That's the only way you're going to significantly change your appearance without losing weight and looking exactly the same as you do know.. Which is what more cardio is going to get you.

Yep. I started this whole "fitness thing" with DVD's at home. I thought the ones with "ripped" and "shred" and "tone" in the title would mean that I would eventually look like the people on the video. What they don't tell you is that those people also weight train. But, a weight training video wouldn't work and therefor wouldn't sell. All of those DVD's (I don't care which one or how much $$$ it costs) are just cardio in different forms. So, all they will do is make you smaller (if your diet is correct). Your actual shape will not change if you don't do actual weight lifting. And by weight lifting, I do NOT mean weights that come in the color pink or purple.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Ay what are all these programs? I don't know what any of this t25, xbox 350, 30 day shreds are.