Abs?

Options
I feel like I'm healthy - but I really some advice on how to build abs, as I'm having some difficulty.
Here's some background information- I'm 5'3" and I weigh 115 pounds. I am moderately active; I practice yoga and pilates approximately four to five days of the week and I run at least two days of the week. I eat a semi-plant-based diet (I'm lacto-vegetarian (no meat or eggs in my diet (I receive plenty of protein from other sources such as dairy, nuts, legumes, soy, etc.)))
I would like some feedback/advice. Thanks. x

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well, abs are muscles just like biceps. They are built just like any other muscle would be. They are shown by having a low body fat percentage. Looking at your profile picture, my guess would be that you have a relatively low total lean mass...meaning you need more muscle. If you are lacking in total lean mass (which would include your ab muscles), they aren't going to show no matter how lean you get. And...again, according to your profile pic...I would NOT suggest getting any leaner.
    Try out weight training and adding a bit more lean mass to your body would be my suggestion.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Abs are a muscle. To build muscle you must train the muscle & provide adequate nutrition (calories & proper macros) to support growth and development.

After a sufficient bulking period that yields quality mass development, you can then cut and yield the fruits of your labor with a set of well built & defined abs.

Unfortunately, people often want to skip to step #2 and are left with improperly developed, and unbalanced muscles.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Well, abs are muscles just like biceps. They are built just like any other muscle would be. They are shown by having a low body fat percentage. Looking at your profile picture, my guess would be that you have a relatively low total lean mass...meaning you need more muscle. If you are lacking in total lean mass (which would include your ab muscles), they aren't going to show no matter how lean you get. And...again, according to your profile pic...I would NOT suggest getting any leaner.
    Try out weight training and adding a bit more lean mass to your body would be my suggestion.

I agree with this. You have a low overall weight, but it looks like you don't have a lot of lean mass. If you lift and eat in a slight surplus you can build up your lean mass. Only then should you consider cutting again to lean out and revel the muscle you've built up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Start picking some things up and putting them down.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

**HEAVY THINGS PREFERABLY**

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    abhancer.jpg

Problem solved...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

This.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

^^^ this x1000
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    abhancer.jpg

Problem solved...

That's what I used to get my six-pack. Totally worth every penny!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    abhancer.jpg

Problem solved...

That's what I used to get my six-pack. Totally worth every penny!

You too?!?!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I use a waist cincher for training- I don't want abs- I just want a tiny waist to butt ratio.

It's like the same thing- without all those masculine lines.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This is where I've been going wrong - been corset training all this time when I should have had an ab enhancer =D
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Lift heavy

And repeat as needed.....

• JoRocka
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    This is where I've been going wrong - been corset training all this time when I should have had an ab enhancer =D

dude- what EVER were we thinking.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Sound advice

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    OK, how about some specific, non joke advice. Planks are awesome for your abs without straining your back. Crunches never really got me there no matter how many I did, but planks do it and take much less time. On youtube are tutorials for front and side planks. If you do planks on a regular basis, your abdominal muscles will develop over time. It doesn't turn into a manly 6 pack but you see the softly defined outlines of your abs by doing these. Say, do them every other day.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    OK, how about some specific, non joke advice. Planks are awesome for your abs without straining your back. Crunches never really got me there no matter how many I did, but planks do it and take much less time. On youtube are tutorials for front and side planks. If you do planks on a regular basis, your abdominal muscles will develop over time. It doesn't turn into a manly 6 pack but you see the softly defined outlines of your abs by doing these. Say, do them every other day.

So, the first few replies...?

Also, wtf is a manly 6 pack?