Apple cider vinegar

Options
Has anyone used acv for a weight loss aid? If so, did it work for you...how long did you use it...how much weight did you lose? I have heard that this is really good. I got a 32 oz bottle a week ago. Don't know if I can stand the taste.
Very curious.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period.

Apple cider vinegar won't help you lose weight, but it's delicious in cole slaw or bean soup, or on chips (fries),
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    camac50 wrote: »
    Has anyone used acv for a weight loss aid? If so, did it work for you...how long did you use it...how much weight did you lose? I have heard that this is really good. I got a 32 oz bottle a week ago. Don't know if I can stand the taste.
    Very curious.
    It's a myth. The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than your burn.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sorry but by itself it doesnt do anything other than taste bad. That might lead to a temporary loss of appetite but thats it. Pretty harsh on your mouth also. It can be used in marinades and other recipes though so you can still use it.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    We had a cup of cider vinegar and honey, mixed with water, every day as children. A recipe from my Grandma apparently - for good health. Never got colds during winter. But I wouldn't use it for weight loss :smile:
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with you all. If you want to lose weight, then try to eat less calories than you burn, look at your calorie intake and balance it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have 2tsps three times a day. Not sure about it helping with weight loss, but it has a host of other benefits. It certainly can't hurt you.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Makes a great hair rinse. My daughter's hair is so much easier to comb out after an ACV rinse.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have 2tsps three times a day. Not sure about it helping with weight loss, but it has a host of other benefits. It certainly can't hurt you.

Such as? :)
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use it in salads, delicious.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    OP, please get your diet advice from the your doctor(s), the NIH or NHS, and the Mayo Clinic—not Dr Oz! http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/apple-cider-vinegar-for-weight-loss/faq-20058394

"Proponents of the apple cider vinegar diet claim that drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar before meals or taking an apple cider vinegar supplement helps curb appetite and burn fat. However, there's little scientific support for these claims."
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Makes a great hair rinse. My daughter's hair is so much easier to comb out after an ACV rinse.

I second this! We use ACV almost exclusively as hair conditioner.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My Rheum doc told me to take a glass of ACV with water every day for my inflammatory arthritis a year ago. I did it and still do. I don't know whether it aids weight loss or not. I counted calories to lose weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Vinegar actually has lab shown antiseptic properties, this extends to ACV. That is why it can be used to clean. ACV has also shown to help warts. You apply it topically though, not drink it. I personally used this method twice in the past to remove warts from fingers.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Wrong it can totally hurt you! you should research some more!

I use it in salad dressings change it up between that and lemon juice just for different flavors
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    After suffering chronic sinus infections for years, I started taking an apple cider vinegar tablet every day (tastes soooo much better than drinking it). I haven't had a cold, sinus infection or the flu for over five years. This is completely approved by my MD. As far as weight loss goes, it has had no effect. But I strongly believe in its health benefits.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has 1-2 tsp every morning before breakfast. I used to have 1 Tbsp but I have since switched to an HCL/Pepsin capsule to aid with food digestion and help with our skin - we both have psoriasis and have heard that ACV helps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

- I used to have a white coating on my tongue which has completely disappeared since using acv.
    - My excema is barely visible now.
    - No more heartburn.
    - If I'm feeling hungry between meals, I have a dose and it keeps my hunger at bay.
    - My hair is super shiny as rinse it a few times a week with acv.

Wrong it can totally hurt you! you should research some more!

I use it in salad dressings change it up between that and lemon juice just for different flavors

yes true. I wouldn't exceed 4-6tsps a day.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My Rheum doc told me to take a glass of ACV with water every day for my inflammatory arthritis a year ago. I did it and still do. I don't know whether it aids weight loss or not. I counted calories to lose weight.

I'm glad my rheumy never told me that--I can't stand vinegar! My rheumy got me on medication and recommended that I exercise. She was right about the exercise.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I use apple cider vinegar often (2-3 x's weekly) when mixing Napa cabbage, carrots & celery for coleslaw…I sometimes will add a tablespoon of low-fat mayo – not sure if it played a part in my 171 pound loss – but I like it!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    We had a cup of cider vinegar and honey, mixed with water, every day as children. A recipe from my Grandma apparently - for good health. Never got colds during winter. But I wouldn't use it for weight loss :smile:

Oh good heavens, I would throw up.

Eat less, move more. That is all.