Apple cider vinegar

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Today I made a vinaigrette! Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime zest, lime juice and honey. It was awesome.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have 2tsps three times a day. Not sure about it helping with weight loss, but it has a host of other benefits. It certainly can't hurt you.

Wrong it can totally hurt you! you should research some more!

For instance...don't just down a tablespoon or two of it on it's own. Made that mistake and thought I'd never breathe again! Potent stuff!

But I agree, it is very good for you. My mom gets organic raw, unfiltered ACV. My grandmother uses it for arthritis, and when I was researching for joint health for my horses, I saw ACV suggested often as a natural supplement.

While I don't think it actually helps you lose weight or burn more calories, I do think it can help suppress your hunger some. Seems to for me anyway, and others have claimed the same. It might not work with everyone though.

Either way, a couple tablespoons a day is excellent for you.
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have 2tsps three times a day. Not sure about it helping with weight loss, but it has a host of other benefits. It certainly can't hurt you.

Why did she get flagged on this?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Leenda62 wrote: »

Why did she get flagged on this?

probably because I said " it can't hurt you" ??

• Christine_72
    Options
    And I also think some people are totally against natural products. If it hasn't been FDA approved or 100% backed by science, then it must be bunkum!
  • sweetdixie92
    Options
    And I also think some people are totally against natural products. If it hasn't been FDA approved or 100% backed by science, then it must be bunkum!

Second you there. I see a lot of bashing of natural supplements. Plus the number of people suggesting that everyone should take medications for every little "problem". It's a shame...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

If you're going to make a claim about "benefits" it should be backed by science, yes. Anecdata is bunkum.

I'm reading most of this thread with a very skeptical eye. Except the posts about coleslaw. Love coleslaw.
  • Christine_72
    edited December 2014
    Options

Second you there. I see a lot of bashing of natural supplements. Plus the number of people suggesting that everyone should take medications for every little "problem". It's a shame...

very true! Personally, I would much rather try natural supplements before taking the man made chemical route.
    I'm talking about non life threatening ailments here, not things such as cancer which some folks think they can cure by taking lots of VitC and doing a juice cleanse :s

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Funny, I've been here a well and I've never seen anyone on here suggest medications....unless they had a personal experience with an illness or its birth control.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

If you're going to make a claim about "benefits" it should be backed by science, yes. Anecdata is bunkum.

I'm reading most of this thread with a very skeptical eye. Except the posts about coleslaw. Love coleslaw.

The antiseptic properties of vinegar are lab verified.
  • sweetdixie92
    Options

very true! Personally, I would much rather try natural supplements before taking the man made chemical route.
    I'm talking about non life threatening ailments here, not things such as cancer which some folks think they can cure by taking lots of VitC and doing a juice cleanse :s

That's what I do. Learned a lot of it from my grandmother who has lived 88 years by going the natural route. Doesn't go to the doctor's or hospital for anything, unless it's truly life threatening.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

The antiseptic properties of vinegar are lab verified.

I have no issue with those claims, there are some other claims in this thread that have me raising my eyebrow, though. Also, would those antiseptic claims apply to ingested vinegar that meets stomach acid?

I love cleaning with vinegar and use it in my laundry.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    dfargher wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Makes a great hair rinse. My daughter's hair is so much easier to comb out after an ACV rinse.

I second this! We use ACV almost exclusively as hair conditioner.

Is the smell off-putting??
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't take it for weight loss. I chop a clove of raw garlic and swallow it with a spoonful of acv, followed by a bit of raw honey--when I'm feeling a cold or sore throat coming on. It seems to help.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Makes a great hair rinse. My daughter's hair is so much easier to comb out after an ACV rinse.

No, you can't smell it.

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Yes because before science, human knowledge didn't exist. Humans clung to life by the mearest of threads until the 19th century. Hardly anyone made it past infancy, especially those who used apple cider vinegar without the benefit of a double-blind placebo controlled study.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

No, you can't smell it.

Nope, when your hair is dry you can't smell it. I also use white vinegar as a fabric softener and I make cleaning products from it. My MIL swears it cured her reflux, but I am doubtful. And I love coleslaw!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

I didn't flag you, but the Mayo Clinic disagrees with your personal opinion:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/apple-cider-vinegar-for-weight-loss/faq-20058394
    Although occasional use of apple cider vinegar is safe for most people, it won't likely lead to weight loss—and it may pose problems of its own. For example:
    • Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. It may irritate your throat if you drink it often or in large amounts.
    • Apple cider vinegar may interact with certain supplements or drugs, including diuretics and insulin. This may contribute to low potassium levels.
    Remember, there's no magic bullet for weight loss. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume.
    Which is why it's extremely dangerous for people to take medical advice from strangers on the internet.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/apple-cider-vinegar-for-weight-loss/faq-20058394
    Although occasional use of apple cider vinegar is safe for most people, it won't likely lead to weight loss—and it may pose problems of its own. For example:
    • Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. It may irritate your throat if you drink it often or in large amounts.
    • Apple cider vinegar may interact with certain supplements or drugs, including diuretics and insulin. This may contribute to low potassium levels.
    Remember, there's no magic bullet for weight loss. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume.
    Which is why it's extremely dangerous for people to take medical advice from strangers on the internet.

Thanks for posting that. It's always good to know the pro's and cons.

• mrsinctiv
    mrsinctiv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

For sure...due diligence...alternative medicine and western medicine practices are equally suspect in some cases but some want treatment in as naturally a way as possible. Again..DYODD.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Some alternative practitioners recommend using apple cider vinegar to restore alkaline acid balance. The theory behind the alkaline diet is that our blood is slightly alkaline (with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45) and that our diet should reflect this pH level. Proponents of the alkaline-acid theory believe that a diet high in acid-producing foods leads to lack of energy, excessive mucous production, infections, anxiety, irritability, headache, sore throat, nasal and sinus congestion, allergic reactions, and increased risk of conditions such as arthritis and gout.

Despite being an acidic solution, some proponents of apple cider vinegar believe it has an alkalinizing effect on the body. As such, they recommend one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water as a daily health tonic. Although this is a popular remedy, its effectiveness hasn't been researched.