Options
13»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    mrsinctiv wrote: »
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I have 2tsps three times a day. Not sure about it helping with weight loss, but it has a host of other benefits. It certainly can't hurt you.

I didn't flag you, but the Mayo Clinic disagrees with your personal opinion:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/apple-cider-vinegar-for-weight-loss/faq-20058394
    Although occasional use of apple cider vinegar is safe for most people, it won't likely lead to weight loss—and it may pose problems of its own. For example:
    • Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. It may irritate your throat if you drink it often or in large amounts.
    • Apple cider vinegar may interact with certain supplements or drugs, including diuretics and insulin. This may contribute to low potassium levels.
    Remember, there's no magic bullet for weight loss. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume.
    Which is why it's extremely dangerous for people to take medical advice from strangers on the internet.

For sure...due diligence...alternative medicine and western medicine practices are equally suspect in some cases but some want treatment in as naturally a way as possible. Again..DYODD.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Some alternative practitioners recommend using apple cider vinegar to restore alkaline acid balance. The theory behind the alkaline diet is that our blood is slightly alkaline (with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45) and that our diet should reflect this pH level. Proponents of the alkaline-acid theory believe that a diet high in acid-producing foods leads to lack of energy, excessive mucous production, infections, anxiety, irritability, headache, sore throat, nasal and sinus congestion, allergic reactions, and increased risk of conditions such as arthritis and gout.

Despite being an acidic solution, some proponents of apple cider vinegar believe it has an alkalinizing effect on the body. As such, they recommend one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water as a daily health tonic. Although this is a popular remedy, its effectiveness hasn't been researched.
    The body strictly controls its pH. The proponents of the alkaline-acid theory haven't shown any reproducible studies that it has any merit to my knowledge.
    As to the bolded part, there have been studies, just not any showing any efficacy for the claims. Here's one on rats (granted) showing that apple cider vinegar is ineffective as an anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory agent in rats with adjuvant arthritis.
    http://www.nrjournal.com/article/S0271-5317(84)80049-4/abstract
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    camac50 wrote: »
    Has anyone used acv for a weight loss aid? If so, did it work for you...how long did you use it...how much weight did you lose? I have heard that this is really good. I got a 32 oz bottle a week ago. Don't know if I can stand the taste.
    Very curious.

That's how this diet works. Pour some apple cider vinegar on all of your food and you won't eat that much of it. Triple guaranteed to work.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    does nothing for weight loss but if you suffer from candida overgrowth or athletes foot it is a flipping lifesaver.

I also give it to my livestock for coccidia prevention.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Great for sunburns.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If you're going to make a claim about "benefits" it should be backed by science, yes. Anecdata is bunkum.

Yes because before science, human knowledge didn't exist. Humans clung to life by the mearest of threads until the 19th century. Hardly anyone made it past infancy, especially those who used apple cider vinegar without the benefit of a double-blind placebo controlled study.

I don't know about you, but I'm greatly enjoying my considerably increased lifespan and my lack of smallpox.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you're going to make a claim about "benefits" it should be backed by science, yes. Anecdata is bunkum.

Yes because before science, human knowledge didn't exist. Humans clung to life by the mearest of threads until the 19th century. Hardly anyone made it past infancy, especially those who used apple cider vinegar without the benefit of a double-blind placebo controlled study.

I don't know about you, but I'm greatly enjoying my considerably increased lifespan and my lack of smallpox.

No kidding. The previous quote is a ridiculous argument.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love ACV. Of it's a false claim that it burns fat or that it will help with weight loss. Once I did try the mixture of honey or / maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and water and actually liked the taste, because I like sour in general.
    I use ACV for a hair rinse, it makes my hair shiny and it doesn't smell.

The best benefit, which most people don't even know about it how great it is for skin. I use it as a toner, it can be at night, or in the morning, even under make up (it doesn't smell after it dries) and my complexion is so nice after that. Skin is smoother and somehow everything is the same shade :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I have 2tsps three times a day. Not sure about it helping with weight loss, but it has a host of other benefits. It certainly can't hurt you.

Such as? :)

Vinegar actually has lab shown antiseptic properties, this extends to ACV. That is why it can be used to clean. ACV has also shown to help warts. You apply it topically though, not drink it. I personally used this method twice in the past to remove warts from fingers.
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Such as? :)

- I used to have a white coating on my tongue which has completely disappeared since using acv.
    - My excema is barely visible now.
    - No more heartburn.
    - If I'm feeling hungry between meals, I have a dose and it keeps my hunger at bay.
    - My hair is super shiny as rinse it a few times a week with acv.

Thanks to both of you.
  • Randy589
    Randy589 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ACV is great at getting rid of warts when nothing else works. I wouldn't think of consuming it, however.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Randy589 wrote: »
    ACV is great at getting rid of warts when nothing else works. I wouldn't think of consuming it, however.

I can't not stand the smell of it and don't really like the taste, but I have found it helps with a sore throat if I gargle with some or add a tablespoon to really strong tea and honey. Daily drinking it? Nope lol. As for warts- when my friend suggested it over 5 years ago, I thought she was insane. I had a pesky wart on my finger that compound W would not get rid off. I put a piece of cotton soaked in ACV on it, covered with a bandaid for 3 days (replacing cotton as needed). By day 3 it had turned black and two days later my skin peeled and voila! No more wart. Now anytime I hear someone complain about warts I tell them. :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    "The only study to test the idea in people was done in Japan. In the study, 175 obese but healthy people took either vinegar or water daily for 12 weeks. Their diets were similar. They kept food journals. At the end of the study, those who used vinegar had lost slightly more weight. On average, the vinegar group lost 1-2 pounds over the 3-month period. They gained it all back after the study was over."
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/apple-cider-vinegar-and-health
  • eric829_
    eric829_ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I drink a capful diluted in a bottle of water daily. I started it to attempt to reduce my seborrhic dermatitis. It didn't reduce it. It removed it totally!

I've read about other health benefits as well in the Apple Cider Vinegar book by Bragg.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I wear Invisalign braces and I read on a message board that soaking them in ACV helps keep them clean....maybe I should try it, because these things get real gnarly looking after about a week!
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A lot of the Medical websites merely state that no one has really done any extensive research. Here is some more on the subject.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/02/apple-cider-vinegar-hype.aspx
    There is research that supports a benefit to those people suffering from Diabetes.
    I have been told to use it as a digestive aid due to it's high acid content.
    The article does point to the fact, that science is sometimes is a little slow on their discoveries. After all, there are things accepted today as scientific fact that were complete nonsense 20 years ago to those same scientists. Remember, in science,it isn't a fact until it's proven under a very specific set of guidelines and processes, and then reviewed and re-tested by another group, and then published and endorsed by yet another group. It is unlikely that any real scientific research will be done unless there might be some promise that it cured cancer or some life threatening disease. Weight loss is hardly at the top of their list. They likely won't get a Nobel Prize for proving whether or not ACV is or isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are studies that show the human brain can fool the body into believing something is benefiting them, and it may just because the individual believes it. There are limits to this of course, but the brain releases chemicals to the body or increase and decreases the production of certain chemicals based on it's response to certain stimulation. A placebo effect. So, whether or not you believe ACV can benefit you, may affect whether or not that it does to some extent.
    The short answer to the question is: Maybe...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    eric829_ wrote: »
    I drink a capful diluted in a bottle of water daily. I started it to attempt to reduce my seborrhic dermatitis. It didn't reduce it. It removed it totally!

I've read about other health benefits as well in the Apple Cider Vinegar book by Bragg.

Bragg makes & sells ACV. That book is just one big advertisement for their product.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    eric829_ wrote: »

Bragg makes & sells ACV. That book is just one big advertisement for their product.

I've got that book. He's a full on evangelist when it comes to acv and what foods to eat and avoid etc

• camac50
    Options
    Thanks for the toner information. I might start adding acv to my nightly routine before bed.
    I love ACV. Of it's a false claim that it burns fat or that it will help with weight loss. Once I did try the mixture of honey or / maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and water and actually liked the taste, because I like sour in general.
    I use ACV for a hair rinse, it makes my hair shiny and it doesn't smell.

The best benefit, which most people don't even know about it how great it is for skin. I use it as a toner, it can be at night, or in the morning, even under make up (it doesn't smell after it dries) and my complexion is so nice after that. Skin is smoother and somehow everything is the same shade :)

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and didn't see much benefits but I'm a big proponent of adding fermented foods to one's diet just overall. But I think the main benefit (verified by 'science') is that it seems to improve insulin response in many. I didn't do a research project, just a quick google search, but here is one article.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/1/281.full

These data indicate that vinegar can significantly improve postprandial insulin sensitivity in insulin-resistant subjects. Acetic acid has been shown to suppress disaccharidase activity (3) and to raise glucose-6-phosphate concentrations in skeletal muscle (4); thus, vinegar may possess physiological effects similar to acarbose or metformin. Further investigations to examine the efficacy of vinegar as an antidiabetic therapy are warranted.