• MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself just once a week.
  • jknox2009
    jknox2009 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jknox2009 wrote: »
    I weigh myself most mornings, right after I get out of bed, use the toilet and put my contacts in (so I can actually see the numbers). It's a good motivator to see that next multiple of 5 getting closer, and if it goes up, I usually know why - "Oh, that was last night's dinner with my friends, there's my splurge for the week" or "That's the birthday cake at work, that my coworkers call you rude if you don't take at least a little bit" - gotta love peer pressure, and I'm still figuring out how to get past that part. :P I usually just tell myself that I have to be good today to make up for it, and get back on track. I only log about once a week or so, usually when I hit a low mark, so I don't have to deal with all those little wobbles.

(Interesting thing - we have almost the exact same stats. 5'5" and 27 here too, and I was 222 this morning :) )

jknox2009, I tell my coworkers that I'll have the cake with them if they go to the gym with me and do EVERYTHING that I do so that I can work off that piece of cake. It gives them some perspective and I have yet to have a single person take me up on the challenge. Now they tell me that there is cake but no longer "pressure" me to eat it with them.

I might have to take that approach next time! Most of my coworkers know I'm trying to lose a significant amount of weight, but there's still a culture of junk food around here that I'm fighting against, and that tactic might help. Thanks for the tip!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Weekly, fortnightly or monthly? I'm wondering how often I should weigh myself since me and the scales have a very unhealthy relationship at the minute.... I seem to be a bit obsessed!
    At the minute I weigh myself every day.... Which I know I shouldn't be doing. The smallest gain sets me on a breakdown binge and then the cycle continues. Is once a week still too much? I need to see great results to keep me motivated. (Great results = 2lbs+ per week for me)

Everyday

• Forest91
    Forest91 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but I only log it once a week
  • 02suzzie2014
    02suzzie2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself, the same time at the beginning of every week, for example Monday morning, naked, having been to the toilet and at the same time every Monday. This will allow more accurate results as all the variables are the same. Also create a table of results for a 2 month period lets say, this is far more confident boosting seeing how well you have done over a period of time...
    Weekly, fortnightly or monthly? I'm wondering how often I should weigh myself since me and the scales have a very unhealthy relationship at the minute.... I seem to be a bit obsessed!
    At the minute I weigh myself every day.... Which I know I shouldn't be doing. The smallest gain sets me on a breakdown binge and then the cycle continues. Is once a week still too much? I need to see great results to keep me motivated. (Great results = 2lbs+ per week for me)
  • Mortpes
    Options
    Daily. I weigh not just to be aware of the actual weight but also self monitoring the functions of the heart and kidneys, etc. to be aware of water gain. Recommended by the cardio folks. I am older.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Weekly. The daily fluctuations cause me too much stress. So I decided to stick with Saturday morning. My routine is to get up, pee, weigh naked, log my weight :)
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday in the morning. Right after I go to the bathroom, completely naked, and before my shower. It is just something I like to do. Even a small weight loss excites me!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily. Log daily. If I waited for a new low to log, I'd have about 8 weigh-ins listed.
  • stevebreeze11
    stevebreeze11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some interesting theories here!
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Weekly - every Wednesday morning is check in time. :smile:
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    daily. But I don't let it stress me out (I used to get freaked out by normal fluctuations). I have seen the number vary widely, I just chart it on MFP and move on. Overall I can see the graph go down so daily fluctuations don't bum me out anymore
  • umatej
    Options
    i weigh in every morning. it helps me keep on track.

Me too. At the beginning it was hard to look down the scale but after some time and progress its always nice to jump on it.
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Options
    i am not weighing myself till January 1st 2016. weighing myself is always a hindrance toward me, but however i will do measurements monthly.
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Forest91 wrote: »
    I weigh everyday but I only log it once a week

Same, I keep an eye on my weight every morning just to see how it's looking, but I only log my weight each Saturday morning.

• skinnermotatay
    skinnermotatay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    every week is the best i think, my body can flucuate in weight over the days dependant on exercise, and if i dont eat correctly. usually on a thursday
  • tobyowen2015
    tobyowen2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I don't think it matters how often you weigh yourself. I think it is what you say to yourself about what your weight means that matters.

• barryvetero
    barryvetero Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Everyday - first thing in the morning.
    - Read the following Copied from Huffington Post:

- There are plenty of arguments that advocate throwing away the bathroom scale, but a new study suggests daily weigh-ins may be a key component to weight loss.

The study, published in the scientific journal PLOS ONE and conducted by Elina Helander and co-authors from Tampere Univeristy of Technology in Finland, sampled 2,838 weight observations from 40 people attending a health program and found that when people weighed themselves daily they tended to lose weight, while taking breaks from daily weigh-ins for longer than one month led to weight gain in certain cases.

This isn't the first time the odds have been in favor of the bathroom scale.

"Get out of bed, use the bathroom, then step on the scale. Every day," personal trainer Marshall Roy advised in an article for Be Well Philly earlier this year. "It will give you a very reliable baseline and daily data point. It will fluctuate a little bit day to day, but when you look at all the numbers over the course of a week or month, trends will be obvious."

And a University of Minnesota study, cited by Prevention magazine, surveyed 1,800 dieting adults and found that people who weighed themselves every day lost about 12 pounds over the course of two years, while people who weighed themselves every week lost only 6 pounds.

So if weight loss is one of your New Year's resolutions, be advised: The scale may be a better friend than you thought.
  • barryvetero
    barryvetero Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Use software from Garmin Connect or MyFitnessPal to see trends. You will miss weight loss/gain trends if you only weigh weekly. i.e. Water retention on the weekly weigh in.

3wqox9c8e7ap.jpg
  • 2bowlesamos
    Options
    I was weighing everyday, but I became so stressed out over the numbers. I now weigh every other day, and focus more on how the clothes fit.