Straight Caffeine Pills - Experience or opinions on them?

Options

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Again, you don't get what the OP needs. Your contribution is great, for a someone who isn't a trained pro. GG GJ.

My bad. You clearly know the OP personally and know exactly what she needs. You too must be a trained professional who can provide credentials and certifications upon request. They should actually make a part of the forum just for you professionals so us non-trained pros don't mess up your chit-chat and recommendations.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Ok so I went ahead and bought "sundown naturals' pure caffeine 200mg 8 hour sustained release. I wasn't talking about those crack energy pills. I know about the benefits of caffeine for training and all that good stuff. I like my coffee with cream so I'd rather not just drink more coffee. By stomach irritation I meant just having to use the bathroom more often that usual cuz I'm regular as is. I get avg 8 hours of sleep, usually over on fiber goals, I exercise plenty and I always eat breakfast. I am under a lot of stress with rehabbing a home and having to relocate but that's not something I can change until it's done. So I was just looking for something to help the work flow going while that's being done. I tried one pill, as directed, this morning and I did feel more alert and awake but no jitters or crash. I don't plan on using these long term (I've found throughout the years it's very hard for me to actually become addicted to things, quit smoking cold turkey no problem, amongst other things) so I'm not really worried about that aspect. Sometimes ppl just need a lil boost even when doing everything else right! I appreciate all the advice!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you take them to stay awake, it's a bad habit. You'll end up needing more and more and then you'll need Benadryl to sleep. This is the poor man's drug addiction, lol.

If you find yourself in the habit of taking pills to stay awake and other pills to fall asleep, break that habit.

Personally, I'd advise against the pills. Whatever it is you need the pills to do can be done without them. Pills you don't need...I always vote No.

But ask your doctor. He may give you the thumbs up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Kalikel - funny thing. I tend to have massive insomnia periods, regardless if I'm on or off caffeine cycle unless I'm training heavily. So I looked at some of those sleep aids... benadryl. Every damn one. Was amusing to think, I could sleep and have a clear head.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    I don't need them to stay awake. Please read previous post!
  • dbmata
    edited December 2014
    Options
    wutevah, I do what I want.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Kalikel - funny thing. I tend to have massive insomnia periods, regardless if I'm on or off caffeine cycle unless I'm training heavily. So I looked at some of those sleep aids... benadryl. Every damn one. Was amusing to think, I could sleep and have a clear head.
    They're all Benadryl. Check prices in the Sleep Aid section and the Benadryl (and generic Benadryl) ones in the Allergy section. Buy the cheapest generic. It's ALL diphenhydramine.

I'm not advising anyone to take the stuff, but if you're going to take it, at least don't pay extra for the parts you throw away,

I'm allergic to my cat, so I've seen the huge price differences for the same damn thing in different boxes with different labels. They further confuse people by selling some pills in 50 and some in 25. These companies and stores are literally banking on the fact that people either won't read the labels and/or can't do basic math.

I buy the cheapest one. :)

I also didn't read all the arguing before I posted and am not trying to get myself in the middle of all that. I don't care if anyone has heard both sides and chooses to take it, anyway. Enjoy. Take so much that you bounce around like Tom Arnold did and I still won't care. I am not on a campaign to make everyone live as I see fit. Just posting my post. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Diphenhydramine, that's strong advice, thanks.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I live to serve.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I buy them. I keep them on hand for when I cannot get coffee and cannot afford the severe headache the withdrawal symptoms hand out to me.

Really, if you're not addicted to a substance, developing one is not a great move.
  • jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes it can kill you i was on fat loss pills and drinking energy drinks i put myself in icu amd they had to flush my system they said another hour i would have a massive heart attack. At age 24
  • dbmata
    Options
    It's not possible to forecast heart attacks.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    They're all Benadryl. Check prices in the Sleep Aid section and the Benadryl (and generic Benadryl) ones in the Allergy section. Buy the cheapest generic. It's ALL diphenhydramine.

I'm not advising anyone to take the stuff, but if you're going to take it, at least don't pay extra for the parts you throw away,

I'm allergic to my cat, so I've seen the huge price differences for the same damn thing in different boxes with different labels. They further confuse people by selling some pills in 50 and some in 25. These companies and stores are literally banking on the fact that people either won't read the labels and/or can't do basic math.

I also didn't read all the arguing before I posted and am not trying to get myself in the middle of all that. I don't care if anyone has heard both sides and chooses to take it, anyway. Enjoy. Take so much that you bounce around like Tom Arnold did and I still won't care. I am not on a campaign to make everyone live as I see fit. Just posting my post. :)

Doxylamine succinate is an alternate sleep aid to Benadryl; it is the "make you sleepy stuff "in Nyquil and Unisom....
  • Kalikel
    Options

Doxylamine succinate is an alternate sleep aid to Benadryl; it is the "make you sleepy stuff "in Nyquil and Unisom....

Knowing I'd seen diphenhydramine, I googled it. Unisom has five different kinds and one of them doesn't use diphenhydramine. So, if your point was to enlighten me, you have done so..and thanks! :) Learn something new every day. Today - check. :)

I'lm going to stick with the cheapest generic diphenhydramine, though. It serves my purposes well.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Knowing I'd seen diphenhydramine, I googled it. Unisom has five different kinds and one of them doesn't use diphenhydramine. So, if your point was to enlighten me, you have done so..and thanks! :) Learn something new every day. Today - check. :)
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Yeah? Does it dissolve like rocks? Any brand rec? Searching Amazon for 200mg pills was an exercise in and of itself. Oh hey, that one works. Oh it's not prime. Looking for another one, add it to the cart. Oh, in the 3 minutes I searched, the first one increased in price by $2.

If you're ever at Walmart, get your caffeine pills there. Costs $2 for the 100-count JetAlert 200mg pills. They're in the pharmacy section, right by the Tylenol.

Amazon's price is at least 3x as much.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    JJ I wasn't referring diet pills or energy drinks. The ones I described release the same amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee over an 8 hr time period.... And Noel like I said I don't become addicted to things easily and have no intention on relying on a small boost....

I'm thinking these forums are so overly dramatic like all other Internet forums.... I remember now why I've been off them for so long... :(
  • jamesgray1
    Options

not before a work out but after, especially if you have to write a paper or two that night.
    But really, it can keep you alert and maybe jittery if that isn't a problem they are better than Coffee
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I go with the sugar free monster energy drinks, they're 0 calorie and even the low carb ones are 15 calories. Sadly the headaches during the come down is hell.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I'lm going to stick with the cheapest generic diphenhydramine, though. It serves my purposes well.

Yes point was to let you and any other sleep sufferers know of options. I researched this only this year and found it enlightening. I usually use Benadryl too- and buy a large size at Costco. Sleep well!