How do you beat hunger?

Options
2»

Replies

• Josephfunk
    Josephfunk Posts: 31 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Did my first come back work out, P90X chest and back wow I hurt can't wait to get it back! My work out buddy is a former U.S Army drill instructor so I'm sure to wear myself out trying to keep up there but I will catch up! Going into things watching my knee's carefully this time, I would rather go slow than be stopped.
  • brntwaffles27
    brntwaffles27 Posts: 27
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It took me 3 to 4 weeks to get over craving cigarettes (and I smoked a pack a day as well), and about 3 months of calorie tracking to get the natural self discipline for eating less. (cravings are still there, but very manageable.)

I agree that it's harder to quit a bad eating habit than smoking, but if you have the self control to quit smoking than you can have the self control to eat better.

Good luck :D
  • Josephfunk
    Josephfunk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I cam deal with normal hunger but that overwhelming out of nowhere hunger sucks! hoping it will simmer down to a dull roar.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    LuckyMunky wrote: »
    I found that for me, scaling back the calories bit by bit - a hundred calories every few days -

I didn't do this but I like the concept. Start by reducing the number of calories you need to maintain by 250 per day for a week. See how that goes and keep reducing until you are losing 1-2 lbs a week. Good luck!

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Josephfunk wrote: »
    Hi my name is Joe and i'm new to the forum. I'm once starting again on working myself in better eating habbits. I have failed many times before and would really like to make it stick this time. I went though this when I quit smoking as well I would try and fail over and over again but in time the cravings went away. I'm 5'9 and weighed in this morning to see my starting point and well?... I clocked the scale at 324.6 pounds! My problem is hunger it seems no matter what I do I'm always hungry! If anyone has beat this please share with me I'm done failing damit! I find hunger a worse craving than quiting smoking cold turkey when I smoked a pack a day. On the bright side of things it has been 4 years no with out smoking and those went away but what can I do about hunger? Any help would be great thanks!

I began my journey at 350+, although I'm half a foot taller than you. I've lost significant weight, but I've never allowed myself to go to sleep hungry. Let's see--

(1) I began with a gradual reduction in my calories. E.g., the first few days I logged 3,000 calories! I didn't lose, but at least I didn't gain. I brought that down 100-200 calories/day.

(2) I learned to recognize true hunger. When you're hungry, you actually feel it in your tummy. It's not when you lick your lips visualizing cookies or fries or chocolate.

(3) Liquids can be very filling! I had three large green teas yesterday. That made it challenging to find room for more than half a sandwich when lunch rolled around.

(4) Some foods are "triggers" and make you feel like eating more. Some foods are more filling than their calorie count implies. You'll learn these over time, but generally expect fiber and protein and vegetables to be more filling than fat/sugar combinations or liquid calories.

(5) Exercise grants you a bigger calorie budget, and often you feel less hungry afterwards.

(6) Stop eating when you're full! Don't eat when you're bored. Don't eat out of habit. Don't eat to be polite. Don't eat out of stress. Save food and calories for when you're really hungry.

(7) Wait a few minutes to let the food settle before going back for seconds.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    By eating nutrient-rich, high-fiber foods that are filling. Protein and fats are more satiating than carbs. Fill up on lots of veggies, lean meats, and healthy fats like olive oil and nut butters with moderate whole grains. Not only will you feel better physically, but you'll see how they keep you full better than a big bowl of pasta.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well I will probably get some flack here but I do the low carb high fat and am never hungry. It is a totally different way of eating verses low calorie low fat. I was starving on that way of eating. Now I can go long periods of time with out even thinking of food. IT is difficult to give up the breads but if you look at my food diary you will see I a eating pork skins with cream cheese and olives for breakfast. Or I could eat a 6 OZ pork chop and eat the fat on it if I cold eat that much. I can not as I get too full. Friend me Joe if you have more questions or just look at my foods. I have lost 20 pounds and 10 in the last month.
  • jjuliusjr
    Options
    I would add to the last post. AllOutfo_Bubblegum is right about high fiber foods, or what is called complex carbohydrates. They are more complex than simple foods, that quickly convert to sugar; and it takes more energy to digest them than simple carbs. If you combine a complex carb with a protein for a meal, it helps to regulate your insulin, which is a hormone, that determines whether to use food as energy, or store it as fat. It also helps you to feel full, when you combine these foods together. When combined together, it takes longer to digest what you eat, therefore helping you to feel satisfied for a longer period. I would add to the last post that eating 4-6 small meals, (which includes eating snacks like a whole piece of fruit; or cutting up some veggies and munching on them); and by spacing out your meals through out the day in 2 1/2 to 3 hour increments. You also will better control your body's release of insulin. Water, is very important in helping you curb your hunger as well. Many times when we think, that we are hungry, we are really thirsty instead. Only water will satisfy our thirst. Not any other drink will do. Sugary drinks, and this includes healthy fruit drinks, actually make you more hungry. This is due to the insulin response to them. So keep yourself well but not over hydrated, by drinking at least 8-10 8 oz glasses of water; and add 2-3 more glasses, if you do intense workouts that day! I hope this helps you in your journey. B)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    jjuliusjr wrote: »
    I would add to the last post. AllOutfo_Bubblegum is right about high fiber foods, or what is called complex carbohydrates. They are more complex than simple foods, that quickly convert to sugar; and it takes more energy to digest them than simple carbs. If you combine a complex carb with a protein for a meal, it helps to regulate your insulin, which is a hormone, that determines whether to use food as energy, or store it as fat. It also helps you to feel full, when you combine these foods together. When combined together, it takes longer to digest what you eat, therefore helping you to feel satisfied for a longer period. I would add to the last post that eating 4-6 small meals, (which includes eating snacks like a whole piece of fruit; or cutting up some veggies and munching on them); and by spacing out your meals through out the day in 2 1/2 to 3 hour increments. You also will better control your body's release of insulin. Water, is very important in helping you curb your hunger as well. Many times when we think, that we are hungry, we are really thirsty instead. Only water will satisfy our thirst. Not any other drink will do. Sugary drinks, and this includes healthy fruit drinks, actually make you more hungry. This is due to the insulin response to them. So keep yourself well but not over hydrated, by drinking at least 8-10 8 oz glasses of water; and add 2-3 more glasses, if you do intense workouts that day! I hope this helps you in your journey. B)

Such a great reminder...thank you :) When I do this it makes a world of difference ...if I don't eat every 2-2 1/2 hours my blood sugar begins to drop very noticeably. I agree eating a combo of fat/protein/carb makes such a difference and also the complex carb vs. the simple carbs can really keep the cravings away.

I appreciate you posting this... sometimes I stray off the path and this has helped me realize how important it is to stick to this for my body.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Hi Joe. First of all, most of these comments are very long, so I apologize if whatever I say is repetitive of theirs as I didn't read them. However, I wanted to post because I was in your exact situation as far as weight and hunger. I am 25, 5'9", started out at 320.8, and was always hungry. I have dieted many times before and always failed for the same reason. This time I took a different approach. I eat more and drink more.

I drink alot of water, about 10 to 15 cups a day. And i drink it consistently through the day, not just once.

Most importantly though, I eat 6 meals. Generally speaking I have breakfast, usually 5 eggs. It's high in protein, very filling and low in calorie.

Then I generally eat every 2 to 3 hours. Usually a protein bar, but sometimes fruit or some other small snack. I like protein bars (especially Quest Bars) because I find the protein and fiber does well to fill me.

Then I have a relatively large dinner in the afternoon.

This has worked great for me because I feed my body every 3 hours. While I don't eat much, that doesn't seem to matter as much as the fact that I am eating.

Hope this helps.