1235»

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I read Eat to Live. It was an interesting read. I think it's a useful exercise to spend some time reading and thinking about some of the nutritional opinions that are on the fringe of the US medical community. Obviously you have to keep in mind that most "authors" have an agenda, but in my opinion with a little critical thinking you can still learn something and add to your level of understanding.

What I have taken away from books and documentaries like Eat to Live (or In Defense of Food, which was also fascinating) is a passion for adding a greater variety of fruits and veggies into my everyday diet. I was raised on the SAD diet thinking veggies were the mushy, colorless lump taking up one-quarter of my dinner plate every day. Now the produce section is part of the foundation of what I eat and I love to experiment with new veggies I've never tried and all the different yummy ways to eat them! And hopefully it has contributed to me being healthier. I still eat meat, and fast food, and frozen meals, etc. I just eat them a little less!

Anyway, I am always reading something, so I never think reading anything is a waste of time :).
    Now THAT is a great book.

Another heavy reader... post more, please! :D

In Defense of Food and Omnivores Dilemma were both amazing!
    Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver was great too.

Animal Vegetable Miracle? Hmm. Haven't heard of that.

btw, did you see the Pollan family cookbook that recently came out?

Not yet. =) something to look forward to!
    Until I saw it I'd forgotten that Michael J. Fox's wife Tracy is Michael Pollan's sister. It has some nice recipes. http://pollanfamilytable.com

I had no idea!
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Why? Mfp is free.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    Why? Mfp is free.
    I'll speak for myself. I read it because I wanted to know more about nutrition. I strive to eat a nutrient dense diet. I want to be as healthy as I can be. I like learning things.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I read Eat to Live. It was an interesting read. I think it's a useful exercise to spend some time reading and thinking about some of the nutritional opinions that are on the fringe of the US medical community. Obviously you have to keep in mind that most "authors" have an agenda, but in my opinion with a little critical thinking you can still learn something and add to your level of understanding.

What I have taken away from books and documentaries like Eat to Live (or In Defense of Food, which was also fascinating) is a passion for adding a greater variety of fruits and veggies into my everyday diet. I was raised on the SAD diet thinking veggies were the mushy, colorless lump taking up one-quarter of my dinner plate every day. Now the produce section is part of the foundation of what I eat and I love to experiment with new veggies I've never tried and all the different yummy ways to eat them! And hopefully it has contributed to me being healthier. I still eat meat, and fast food, and frozen meals, etc. I just eat them a little less!

Anyway, I am always reading something, so I never think reading anything is a waste of time :).
    Now THAT is a great book.

Another heavy reader... post more, please! :D

In Defense of Food and Omnivores Dilemma were both amazing!
    Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver was great too.

Animal Vegetable Miracle? Hmm. Haven't heard of that.

btw, did you see the Pollan family cookbook that recently came out?

Not yet. =) something to look forward to!
    Until I saw it I'd forgotten that Michael J. Fox's wife Tracy is Michael Pollan's sister. It has some nice recipes. http://pollanfamilytable.com

I had no idea!
    I didn't either. I keep seeing The Pollan Family Cookbook and thinking "Ooh, Michael? Oh no, it's Tracy." Maybe I'll check it out.

I recently read Michael's latest one "Cooked". I tried to make his sourdough starter and bread but failed. :'(

Animal Vegetable Miracle was a good read but as a fellow Arizonan I have some issues with a couple of her points. And I'm not going to move so I can 'eat local', though I agree that it's a noble cause.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    Why? Mfp is free.
    I'll speak for myself. I read it because I wanted to know more about nutrition. I strive to eat a nutrient dense diet. I want to be as healthy as I can be. I like learning things.

Agreed :drinker:
    I love this site, but it is not the be all & end all of all health knowledge. I want to know more!