weight lifting no idea how or where to start.

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    donnysoule wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    donnysoule wrote: »
    If they have planet fitness in your area, the 30 minute circuit they have set up is a decent workout for beginners and it will introduce you to some of the machines and techniques. While you're doing the workouts, watch what other people do in other areas and slowly, try them out and incorporate the ones you like into a workout regimen. It's amazing how much I've learned and how much my workout routine has evolved just by keeping my eyes open. Best of luck ;-)

Machines are also a great way to injure yourself since so many of them force you into an unnatural path of movement. And do a lot of the work for you so you aren't reaping nearly as many of the benefits.

They have their place- like if you're rehabbing from specific injuries and are under the guidance of a license physical therapist or other medical personnel

Now, I have found that by stabilizing the rest of your body, as a beginner, I was far less prone to injure myself. Built my early strength there then, with a strong core and some confidence, moved on to free weights

I had an opposite effect. Saw a trainer - told machines 2x15, went for a while, lost interest, went back a few years later, same deal 2x15, lost interest - rinse and repeat.

Bought starting strength, barbell, rack etc - been lifting now for a year and a half. I love it :)
    Years wasted because of machines (oh and also being told to do 20 mins on cycling machine, treadmill and elliptical (each!!) before hand. Trainers here are d!cks.

Better off IMO to start off with (light) free weights, right away - get the form down, increase weight progressively, get awesome! :)

• ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    OK I will do that I got some protein powder so I plan to add that to my smoothies as a vegetrain I find I am often low on protien
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    I have no clue about machines I feel like its a bad idea to use them free weights look easier I like how strong lifts has videos to show you how to do them right
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have no clue about machines I feel like its a bad idea to use them free weights look easier I like how strong lifts has videos to show you how to do them right

I'd watch more than just the videos shown on the stronglift site.
    Especially for rows. I kept hunting for other form videos on that since most of them are of dudes with 45# plates on both sides. And yeah, that's not happening for me for awhile yet lol
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    I hope I can do the bar x.x
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

You might need to start lighter on some lifts. E.g. I had a terrible time with squats - eventually I had to swallow my pride and start them at home with a broomstick =D goblet squats with a dumbbell is another good option if the bar is too heavy. OHP is another one that you might need to start light. You might be lucky though and have the ability to do it straight off.

Like 603reader says, check out other videos. I like Mark Rippetoe and Allan Thrall on YouTube but there's loads of others.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

You might need to start lighter on some lifts. E.g. I had a terrible time with squats - eventually I had to swallow my pride and start them at home with a broomstick =D goblet squats with a dumbbell is another good option if the bar is too heavy. OHP is another one that you might need to start light. You might be lucky though and have the ability to do it straight off.

Like 603reader says, check out other videos. I like Mark Rippetoe and Allan Thrall on YouTube but there's loads of others.
    OK cool I am actually watching the videos now
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I personally really like Strong curves, as a beginner I found it pretty easy to understand. There is also a Facebook group for people doing the program where Bret and Kellie, the authors of the book, can answer your questions directly, along with other members who are doing the program. It's great!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    where to start? Start with educating yourself so you'll have more control and confidence when you choose a program to take into the weight room with you.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would strongly suggest a trainer to get you started. If that is not possible, find a friend that lifts and ask to join them for a workout.

Did you read the post?
    She said she can't afford a trainer.

I am starting to wonder why just about every post of yours is so snarky? Jeez!
  • loveliftlaughxo
    loveliftlaughxo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has tons of free workout plans and shows you how to do each exercise.

I personally started with 30 day shred, ripped in 30, and then used the book New Rules of lifting for Women. It took a lot of baby steps for me I remember curling 5lbs in the 30 day shred and wanting to die ha. Good luck!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest a trainer to get you started. If that is not possible, find a friend that lifts and ask to join them for a workout.

Did you read the post?
    She said she can't afford a trainer.

I am starting to wonder why just about every post of yours is so snarky? Jeez!
    I've made almost 1000 posts. I think maybe 30 have been snarky. Especially if you read all of the other info I've provided in this thread, you'd see that I post far more advice than snark