weight lifting no idea how or where to start.

Options
Other than a heavy book or two I have never lifted weights! I know its one of the best ways to reshape the flab, but no idea how to get going! I can't afford a trainer any ideas? I have been looking on YouTube

Replies

• rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest a trainer to get you started. If that is not possible, find a friend that lifts and ask to join them for a workout.
  • blearyspecs
    blearyspecs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Look into a program. The most popular for beginners are Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Buy or borrow a copy of "New Rules of Lifting for Women"
    Read it twice.
    Read stronglifts.com and join the group here for it "Stronglifts 5x5 for Women" (there are dudes in the group too btw).
    You can also read "Starting Strength" but NROLFW covers everything pretty nicely.

You can follow NROLFW or Stronglifts (or a myriad of other beginner programs - Strong Curves, Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass, Jamie Eason's thing (idr the name), AllPro, ICF).

I personally prefered SL because it was simpler and less time consuming. NROLFW sent be back and forth across my gym to complete it and I had to make substitutes based on what my gym had available.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    OK cool I will
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I would strongly suggest a trainer to get you started. If that is not possible, find a friend that lifts and ask to join them for a workout.

Did you read the post?
    She said she can't afford a trainer.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A good place to start would be StrongLifts 5X5. But before anything read, read, read then go to a gym and get some advice from the guys in the "grunt" area.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    That actually looks perfect by the way simple enough for even me to get lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    BillRicks1 wrote: »
    A good place to start would be StrongLifts 5X5. But before anything read, read, read then go to a gym and get some advice from the guys in the "grunt" area.

1. that's a nice stereotype
    2. I wouldn't do that personally since each guy you talk to will probably give you different advice and have very bad form - I've seen so many guys swing and sway their bodies during curls, round their backs during deadlifts, do quarter squats or use the smith machine for squats.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have you joined a gym? You should probably be entitled to a free induction where you can ask to be shown the proper form.

Starting Strength is the book and programme I used when starting out (beginner barbell programme). Strong Curves, Stronglifts 5x5, ICF 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting for Women are some other good beginner programmes.

If you can afford it, a trainer is another good option - as a female though, you do tend to have to be pretty insistent that it's free weights you'd like to do.
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    If they have planet fitness in your area, the 30 minute circuit they have set up is a decent workout for beginners and it will introduce you to some of the machines and techniques. While you're doing the workouts, watch what other people do in other areas and slowly, try them out and incorporate the ones you like into a workout regimen. It's amazing how much I've learned and how much my workout routine has evolved just by keeping my eyes open. Best of luck ;-)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I also vote for StrongLifts -- they have online videos to demonstrate the lifts and it's a self paced program -- it shows you when you can move up and it allows you to stay at the same level if you can't complete something. It also has several advanced levels you can work your way up to should you get really committed to your lifting.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    That actually looks perfect by the way simple enough for even me to get lol

OP, do join the SL group here. The creators of the group have laid out the program even simpler than Medhi (the creator) plus they're knowledgeable as well. It's a great place to ask questions and find new lifting friends
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    donnysoule wrote: »
    If they have planet fitness in your area, the 30 minute circuit they have set up is a decent workout for beginners and it will introduce you to some of the machines and techniques. While you're doing the workouts, watch what other people do in other areas and slowly, try them out and incorporate the ones you like into a workout regimen. It's amazing how much I've learned and how much my workout routine has evolved just by keeping my eyes open. Best of luck ;-)

Machines are also a great way to injure yourself since so many of them force you into an unnatural path of movement. And do a lot of the work for you so you aren't reaping nearly as many of the benefits.

They have their place- like if you're rehabbing from specific injuries and are under the guidance of a license physical therapist or other medical personnel
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    Thankfully there is a free gym where I live so I can do that. I am going to do this stronglifts I like how it shows how to do the exercises as well.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    OK I will look into the group
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    OK I will look into the group

Yay!
    Good luck!
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    Thanks for all the help
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    There is a strong lifts app for free by the way I got it downloaded I love how simple it is. I hate over complicated.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yay! You're going to love it :)

Just had a nosy at your diary (I was in your other thread before) and I'd encourage you to have a bit of a fiddle with your macros if you're going to be strength training.

I think your protein is on the low side for maintaining lean mass. IIFYM.com is a good resource for getting a good macro split or, for a rough guide - anything between 0.8g protein for every 1 lb of LBM AND 1.5g per lb bodyweight (quite a wide spectrum, I go for 1 g per 1 lb bodyweight, personally) and minimum 0.4 g fat per lb bodyweight.

You should manage to progress quite far at deficit, building up your strength rather than muscle (although some muscle can be gained at deficit when you're new to it), losing mostly fat.

Good luck :)
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    donnysoule wrote: »

Machines are also a great way to injure yourself since so many of them force you into an unnatural path of movement. And do a lot of the work for you so you aren't reaping nearly as many of the benefits.

They have their place- like if you're rehabbing from specific injuries and are under the guidance of a license physical therapist or other medical personnel

Now, I have found that by stabilizing the rest of your body, as a beginner, I was far less prone to injure myself. Built my early strength there then, with a strong core and some confidence, moved on to free weights