Do you log gains?

Options

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I never logged gains, but I never had any real gains over 1lb throughout my 45lb weightloss
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a wifi scale so it records to MFP automatically if I get on it. That being said I usually don't get on it after a high sodium day but I do weigh in at LEAST 2x per week and sometimes up to 4x per week
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Only if I haven't logged for a while and am doing a fresh start.
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I log all gains, however big or small they are.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nope. 9/10 the gains are waterweight. Once I did log a gain, but then it was gone quite quickly and I was able to put it back to the previous weight I was. It's only a downer if you log a gain, leave it as it already is and only log when you have lost.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I log all changes, keeps me honest :) besides I know Im not gonna be perfect all the time but it just makes sure that I can correct it in the next week :) x
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I log gains if they're greater than three pounds or last longer than three days. I know my weight fluctuation patterns really, really well, so I'm comfortable with these metrics for assessing true gains vs water weight.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I look at my weight every day but log once a week roughly regardless of where I am.
    To really track my weight I weight and log on the first of every month religiously also with measurement, body fat etc
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I only log after about 10lbs or if my fat percentage goes down a lot. You should get a scale that also shows your body fat, water, and bone - weight watchers makes one for a reasonable price. I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It gives you an idea if you are just bloated or if you actually put fat weight on. I would go crazy with the up and down numbers on the scale if I weighed myself all the time - once a month is good for me as long as I am eating right. I also go by how my clothes fit, jeans do not lie.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Nope. Being able to see a lag time between check-ins is enough for me to know I've stalled out or put on some water weight.

This for me. I never log gains. Now that I am getting closer to maintenance sometimes there's a whole month between check-ins because I have fluctuated 1-2 lb for weeks. I only log a new low, when it's sustained for 3 days or longer.

Since joining the site I have only had one gain that I probably could have/should have logged, I went on vacation and was up about 8 lb due to tons of rich food and tons of hiking & other exercise, so I was pretty out of whack. It evened out within a month, though so I see no harm.

The only way I'd log a gain is if it was a number on the scale I saw repeatedly for weeks.

• mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I log it all.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    I only log after about 10lbs or if my fat percentage goes down a lot. You should get a scale that also shows your body fat, water, and bone - weight watchers makes one for a reasonable price. I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It gives you an idea if you are just bloated or if you actually put fat weight on. I would go crazy with the up and down numbers on the scale if I weighed myself all the time - once a month is good for me as long as I am eating right. I also go by how my clothes fit, jeans do not lie.

Most of those scales are extremely inaccurate.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I don't. Weight fluctuations are normal and happen on a daily basis. I use another app (Libra) to track my weight fluctuations and to keep an eye on my "trend" (which the app calculate with your overall stats, so you may see your trend going down at the same time you log a slight gain). I log losses when they are significant (more than a pound maintained for a couple of days), and if I have a significant gain (more than a pound for a couple of days), then I work harder to make it down again. It usually don't happen (gain are usually water weight for me), but maybe after the Christmas-New Year's Eve marathon I'll have a real gain, but it will take a week or so to take care of this, so no logging required.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't log weight increases because if I put on 2 kg, and then lose 1 kg I don't want any likes from people when it says on their feed that I've lost 1 kg. It feels wrong.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    jeans do not lie.

Love this!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't log my gains as they dishearten me and make me feel like there's no point. Besides, my gains have only ever been 1-2lbs of water weight until now, though I've now gained about 2-3lbs of actual weight due to a couple weeks overeating. I feel like it would encourage me more to see a loss in my graph after a long flat line, rather than seeing my graph go up and then back down to what it was at before.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't log my gains as they dishearten me and make me feel like there's no point. Besides, my gains have only ever been 1-2lbs of water weight until now, though I've now gained about 2-3lbs of actual weight due to a couple weeks overeating. I feel like it would encourage me more to see a loss in my graph after a long flat line, rather than seeing my graph go up and then back down to what it was at before.

Couldn't have said it better.
  • tbcrocks
    tbcrocks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I originally logged in as 217 only to realize my scale was messed up and I was actually 222. I'm 217 now and do not log in gains. I don't see the point. I just motivate myself harder to lose since I want
  • tbcrocks
    tbcrocks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    tbcrocks wrote: »
    I originally logged in as 217 only to realize my scale was messed up and I was actually 222. I'm 217 now and do not log in gains. I don't see the point. I just motivate myself harder to lose since I want to only encourage myself
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Those who don't log gains are using a similar logic to those that don't log binges ... if I don't log it, it didn't happen ... in reality it did happen.