best foods for dropping weight fast

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You didn't put the 80 pounds on fast, did you? So why the rush to lose quickly? Just eat what you want at an appropriate deficit (1.5-2 pounds for right now) and understand that it takes time. I've been doing this for a year and have lost 55 of my current 103-pound goal.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    try boosting metabolism and drinking plenty of water. other than that there's no real magic foods other than non processed foods

They're not magical either.

OP it really is about eating less calories than you burn. Start tracking what you're currently eating and see where you can make some changes.

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tazmania95 wrote: »
    As been trying to lose weight for years and tired of nothing working so want to try and find best ways to drop it fast and then build muscel. I want to lose about 80lbs

Unfortunately dropping weight fast is a pretty good way to ensure you'll gain it back just as fast. When losing it's important to break down the reasons behind why you gained weight, and to learn more about healthy, sustainable approaches to losing. Otherwise, you'll be left even more frustrated after the weight returns. There are reasons you ended up overweight, and unless you break those down and figure out how to avoid it in the future, those reasons will lead you back down that path.

Someone mentioned that you were looking to lose 5 lbs/week. If you're very overweight and just starting you might see a big loss the first couple of weeks. This is generally due to losing water weight. A healthy loss is generally limited to 2 lbs/week or less. I have lost 84 lbs, 65 of which were in the last year or so. I've also learned that so much of what I previously thought about weight loss was absolute nonsense and completely unreasonable. It's not easy to challenge your notions, and the misinformation that your friends, family, and the media push on you.

If you'd like some support, I'm always happy to have new friends. People here telling you that your goals aren't reasonable and that there's no quick fix aren't trying to bring you down, but to help you keep your expectations realistic.

A caloric deficit will help you lose weight. Since you seem to have some questions and not much understanding of the best way to approach your loss, I'd strongly recommend seeing your doctor for a check up and a blood panel. Seeing my doctor helped me address the nutritional deficiencies that were holding me back physically, and gave me the green light and reasonable expectations to move forward with optimism. The diet industries want you to think there's a special food, a supplement, or an easy fix to lose weight fast, but they profit on your hopes and current unhappiness. They have no real investment for you to succeed, or you wouldn't keep buying in to their products! If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Trying to quickly lose weight is not the best method. I ended up losing about 60 pounds in 3 months, but it was all related to an undiagnosed autoimmune disorder (and I now have to be attached to an insulin pump or take multiple insulin injections a day to stay alive). With losing weight that quickly, I ended up losing a ton of muscle and hair, and I ended up gaining 20 pounds back once my body was finally able to metabolize carbs.

Like others, I also recommend having your goals at no more than 2 pounds per week (1000 Calorie deficit). I also agree that you can eat whatever you want while "dieting" as long as it fits in your Calorie goal. It's all Calories in versus Calories out.

Personally, I feel the fullest with foods that are high in fat, protein, or fiber. I also try to drink at least 16oz of water with each meal (thirst can easily be confused with hunger) and try to eat everything I want in moderation.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    As been trying to lose weight for years and tired of nothing working so want to try and find best ways to drop it fast and then build muscel. I want to lose about 80lbs

The best way is not to starve yourself and lose half your muscle mass..... Slow and steady and you will do it this time, starving and trying to lose quickly and you will fail again....,,
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Im looking to lose about 80lbs but i want to do it as quick as possible
    The 5lbs/week diet is also known as the "Yo-Yo" diet. You lose muscle as you lose weight--that's one way your body feeds itself at a deficit. When you inevitably regain and reach your original weight, the gains keep coming, because now your body has less muscle and burns fewer calories at rest. Taking it slow and doing strength work on the way down is the right way!

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Im looking to lose about 80lbs but i want to do it as quick as possible so want to know what foods are best for this.
    cheers

Why not lose the weight in a safe & sustainable manner that you can adhere to for life than do a crash diet or other risky weight loss endeavor that could jeopardize your health? It didn't take you a few days, a week, or even a few months to put on 80 pounds so it's not very wise to think it could come off the fast either.

The best things to do is eat at a calorie deficit (you can either follow the MFP approach & set it to one or two pounds a week or estimate your TDEE with an online calculator). If you use the TDEE approach then you shouldn't eat your exercise calories back.

Another tip is don't give up your favorite foods just because you want to lose weight. Most of the time food restriction by either giving up your favorite junk foods or whole food groups leads most people to binge & give up. The only time you should limit your intake of sugar or any other food is medical (diabetes or allergies).

Also invest in a food scale & measure everything in grams or ounces (you might have to convert grams into ounces or vice versa, but you can use Google search engine to do that). You'd be surprised at how small some portions of food can be (i.e. ice cream, peanut butter, or cereal for examples).
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    try boosting metabolism and drinking plenty of water. other than that there's no real magic foods other than non processed foods

Drinking plenty of water is good advice... But the rest? NO. You can't "boost" your metabolism and even whole foods (i.e. non processed) are not magic foods.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    extra helpings is all you need to drop and drink plenty of water
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If there were a magic bullet, there wouldn't be a $20 billion diet industry. Seriously. Eat less food and move more.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more is the basic equation. Make this a sustainable lifestyle change, not a diet.

Follow your MFP calorie guide and try to be within 5% of that goal every day. Don't try to lower your cals and lose 5 lbs. a week - aim for 1-2.

20757594.png
  • ImChipper
    ImChipper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just a side note/question, if someone is very overweight, losing 5 pounds a week is less crazy, isn't it? For instance my roommate was 300+ and lost 120 pounds in a few months using some medical shake diet. Granted, he lost all his muscle, and the skin did not have time to repair at all, if indeed it could have.

And yes, since he lost it so fast, and with just drinking shakes, he did not learn how to change his diet, so now that he is off, he is right back to pizza and ice cream. Hard work is literally the only way to be sustainable and healthy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Salads, flax seeds, and caffeine pills. In that order. Not serious. Maybe.

speed?
  • ImChipper
    ImChipper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    Im looking to lose about 80lbs but i want to do it as quick as possible so want to know what foods are best for this.
    cheers

Another tip is don't give up your favorite foods just because you want to lose weight. Most of the time food restriction by either giving up your favorite junk foods or whole food groups leads most people to binge & give up. The only time you should limit your intake of sugar or any other food is medical (diabetes or allergies).

I disagree. Considering how much natural sugar is in so many foods, if you eat alot of fruits, for instance, you should definitely be watching eating donuts and adding sugar to coffee or tea. It's SO easy to go over the very small healthy allowance of sugar, especially when you consider the sugars in foods that you don't even realize. Bread, fruit, etc.
  • dbkle
    dbkle Posts: 44
    Options
    Low calorie, high nutrients. Never eat more than the serving size. Document EVERYTHING.

Introduce foods like kale, blueberries, and salmon. They are packed with nutrients and can be eaten in moderation to promote healthy weight loss.
  • motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Eat healthier choices, less processed type foods. Don't drop calories/macros to low. Read some of the top success stories. Not eating enough will back fire on you. Good luck and keep us posted!!
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    cheers

I disagree. Considering how much natural sugar is in so many foods, if you eat alot of fruits, for instance, you should definitely be watching eating donuts and adding sugar to coffee or tea. It's SO easy to go over the very small healthy allowance of sugar, especially when you consider the sugars in foods that you don't even realize. Bread, fruit, etc.

You're welcome to disagree, but please know that you would be wrong.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

If "nothing worked" then you weren't eating at a deficit. If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. Period. With this attitude, it seems you probably have not been able to lose weight because you weren't dropping weight "fast enough" and most likely gave up. 2 pounds a week is quick enough- if not too quick.

Eat at a deficit, be patient. It will come off, but you have to give it time. There's no quick fix, sorry to inform you.
  • mmredd100
    mmredd100 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My best tip for you is to accept the fact that it isn't going to happen fast. Once you accept that and commit for the long haul, eat less and move more.