Food Texture Issues/Quirks - Who else has them?

Options
Just for fun, who else has weird food texture issues and what are they?

Some of mine are:

-Bananas - strings!
-Yogurt/Oatmeal with Fruit Chunks
-Okra
-Wooden Popsicle Sticks - I eat around the stick, and can't lick the last little bit off. I feel like I'm going to get a splinter in my tongue.

I know I have a bunch more but I don't even think about them anymore.

So what are your weird food texture issues?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have the popsicle stick one. Some coffee stir sticks, too. They give me full-body shivers, damndest thing....
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    No squishy! I cannot eat jelly candy, orange slice candy, jelly beans and absolutely NO gummy anything. Just before Christmas, a lot of stores had those giant gummy bears, and I was physically sick just looking at them. The very idea makes me break out in a cold sweat. :#
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Me, but nothing oddly specific. Just if I eat too much of something, I can't handle it anymore. Like Nature Valley hard bars -- I ate too much of those in like, 2007 and haven't touched them since. Yogurt, tuna, burgers, anything with a crumbly texture, can all blindside me if I'm not careful.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have problems with most pastry and shortbread cookies. Why do people think things that sap all the moisture out of your mouth feel fine? I don't get it. I gag every time. That and taquitos.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Coke (Soda/Pop) cans... I can not drink directly out of them. I wash the top with soap and water, then I drink with a straw or pour in a glass. This is probably more of a germ/ocd issue vs texture type of thing.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of coconut, but can't deal with the texture of shredded coconut. I also don't like nuts in breads or brownies, although they are fine eaten alone, in ice cream, or in cereal. It's some kind of texture thing or mixing textures thing. And I love the taste of blackberry but can't deal with the seeds in blackberries (I don't eat seeded grapes either).
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I hate grits. Consistency of vomit.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I can't eat oranges, lemons, or limes. I love the citrus tastes and smells, but can't do the texture. Raw onions and garlic are another one, although I like them in powder form. Tomatoes too... but they're okay squished up in marinara. Oh, and raisins in cookies are an abomination. ;)
  • sarcathryn
    sarcathryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me! The texture (and look) of spaghetti noodles freaks me out!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't like the texture of tomatoes or mushrooms.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I have the popsicle stick one. Some coffee stir sticks, too. They give me full-body shivers, damndest thing....

Me too. But yet I still mock my sister, who can't lick envelopes, because she's afraid of getting a paper cut on her tongue.

My only real food/texture thing is peanut butter. When people talk about eating spoonfuls of it or putting it in oatmeal I cringe. Also, a million years ago when my father prepared tongue in a way where you could still feel the taste buds, ugh.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ugh... mushrooms... disgusting! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I do not like the texture of beans. Any kind of bean. Except green beans. It's like a soft, gritty texture. Gross.

The popsicle stick is a good. I got body shivers from just thinking about that! Ick!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Me too. But yet I still mock my sister, who can't lick envelopes, because she's afraid of getting a paper cut on her tongue.

My only real food/texture thing is peanut butter. When people talk about eating spoonfuls of it or putting it in oatmeal I cringe. Also, a million years ago when my father prepared tongue in a way where you could still feel the taste buds, ugh.

Food that tastes you back! :smiley:

And then there's tripe...trying to make food out of something nature specifically designed to be undigestible. :drinker:
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Celery strings, uni, chia seeds, banana strings, and accidentally touching my lips to kiwi skin. Worse, though, there are also a LOT of synthetic fabrics (acrylic, lycra) that I cannot stand to touch. The feel causes a serious physical reaction like nails down a chalkboard - it's actually nauseating. I am shuddering just thinking about it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I couldn't drink milk with supper if we were having mashed potatoes. Something about the texture icked me out.

I don't like food with tiny holes, like English muffins, or sometimes eggs (vegan now, so no longer an issue)

My versions to meat started with my first pregnancy. Icky slimy raw chicken. Gross.

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I absolutely despise raw onions- won't eat them in anything. I will also eat onion rings all day long, but will absolutely not eat anything with cooked onions in it.

I hate the taste of the raw onions and despise the texture of cooked onions. No clue why I'll eat a solid ring of cooked onion as long as it's covered in batter..
  • KerrieCC
    KerrieCC Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    im with you with the bananas
    also red meat, people look at you like your crazy when you say you don't eat much red meat because you hate the texture.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »
    I do not like the texture of beans. Any kind of bean. Except green beans. It's like a soft, gritty texture. Gross.

Me too, I can't stand them. I also have a problem with crunchy onions, like if they aren't cooked/haven't been cooked enough... idk I just can't take it I want to rinse my mouth out after taking a bite of one.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Meat right off the bone. It makes me cringe when I see anyone chewing meat off a chicken bone or ribs or whatever. Especially when they put the end of a drumstick or something in their mouth where there's cartilage and marrow and whatnot and suckle on it to get the little bit of meat. So gross.