Food Texture Issues/Quirks - Who else has them?

Options
124»

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Shellfish (particularly shrimp, lobster, and crab) - I can't eat them...I physically can't bite/chew them without gagging.

I can't eat most vegetables raw (ie broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, green beans, etc - pretty much anything that would be on a veggie tray or stir fry....I can do raw carrots, but that have to be the super skinny ones, and loaded up on dip/hummus for each bite...and I usually pre-cook veggies for stirfry, so they get cooked enough). I really can't even steam them, unless I steam them forever. I used to only eat veggies boiled until they were mush. I've gotten to the point now where I can handle them completely cooked, but not mushy...but there is a fine line for me between edible and too much "crunch".

Tomatoes are *okay* raw - but all of the "slime" has to be off it. The slime just skeeves me out. *shudder*
  • Nola712
    Options
    Oatmeal made from rolled oats has always grossed me out. Something about the slimy, gelatinous texture. I don't have the same problem with the instant oatmeal in packets, or the steel cut oats though. Also, fried okra (slime inside a crust), and canned spinach (slime without the crust). I also don't like raw oysters or mussels, but love them cooked or smoked. Finally, we used to get a "dessert" with our school lunches, called "glorified rice". Basically, it was rice (boiled?) and mixed with cans of fruit cocktail. The rice they used must have been the standard white rice that is generally available, because it did not have the good sticky texture of sticky rice with mango, for example. It just had a moderately sticky texture, with what looked like bits of cooked milk sticking off the rice, and may a little bit of sugar. Disgusting. I also don't like canned vegetables of any kind, but particularly peas. The taste and texture are so vastly different from fresh and frozen, I just prefer not to eat them at all. One other thing about eating and drinking from cans: I can taste the metals from the can, especially with acidic things like tomatoes, or any type of soda. I prefer to get my acidic vegetables in glass jars, and my soda (when I drink it, which is rarely) in glass or plastic bottles.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Sinew, gristle,Hot dogs,dark or bone-in meat.

Luckily I decided to become a vegetarian to avoid those problems once and for all! Before I'd either eat around it, or get put off the meat entirely and feed my portion to my dog.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The thought of eating bugs and those crunchy little bodies and pokey legs freaks me out, but if it was ground up I would be OK with it, I think. I haven't tried it yet haha
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Bananas, avocados, okra - Can't deal with the slimy texture! Same for raw seafood. Tongue, liver - ewwww and can't even look at tripe!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    white sauces. The texture, but also the color.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I can not drink or eat anything off styrofoam. Touching and hearing that stuff gives me the heebie jeebies!!
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can't the crunchy texture of lettuce . Also hate the slimy (to me) texture of shredded lettuce on sandwiches or tacos. Pretty much anything that calls for lettuce gets baby spinach as a sub. I've even used spinach on my tacos haha
  • MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the texture of angel hair pasta. It's so gross! I also find water chestnuts, most fish, and dried seaweed, intolerable.
  • lcyfrnxo
    lcyfrnxo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Any form of egg and any form of fish. The taste is fine, the texture makes or impossible for me to eat them! Xx