WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Allison and Nancy, welcome! Stick with us. It's a great place to be. Where are you from?

Allison, I remember looking in the mirror and crying. I tried REALLY hard not to look in mirrors at all. I'd fog up the mirror before I took off my clothes to get in the shower. But recently I have cried looking in the mirror for a whole different reason. I hope soon you will get to that place. Sure, I still have a ways to go, but I'm starting to like myself again, and starting to like what I see. I can overlook the loose skin and little bulges here and there. That is just the price of admission. What I focus on is that I'm seeing less rear end, less belly, and more bones. I didn't realize my shoulders even HAD bones! I can see my collar bones for the first time in 35 years!

Hey, have you ladies ever seen a thing called Google Cardboard? My son was showing it to me. It looks like fun. It turns a smart phone into a sort of high tech Viewmaster toy. You can actually build it out of cardboard. Or buy a kit online. I'm going to order a kit.

The kids came over for dinner tonight. I made meat loaf for them, and made no-salt turkey chili for me, to which I added chunks of sweet potato. It was the best chili I think I've ever had! My son and oldest granddaughter had that instead of meat loaf, and they both had seconds, so the leftovers I was counting on didn't happen. But that's ok, I can make it again.

Well, I'm going to settle down and watch tv. Downton comes on tonight!

Good night everyone!

Sylvia

• Dkuffer
    Dkuffer Posts: 12
    Options
    Good evening ladies. Had a good exercise day: walk and swim. Eating.... not so much. It's so hard when you're not at home. We're getting ready to leave our Florida place for five months and there's not much left in the fridge, so decided to try a new Italian place in the neighborhood. Argh, pasta was really good. :#

Just need to get back on it tomorrow. Right? no sense beating yourself up.

Well, it's almost Downtown Abbey time. Have a great night all.

DORENE
    Florida (one more day in the sun) then back to New Mexico
  • Dkuffer
    Dkuffer Posts: 12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    posted twice...sorry

DORENE
    Florida (one more day in the sun) then back to New Mexico
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    smiley-bounce013.gif I have been out of town one day and super busy the next and got so far behind that I can't possibly do anything but read all the posts. Welcome to all the new members of our supportive community.

smiley-chores002.gif 20,000 steps today and yesterday

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)---The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances253149qtzkf0ld22.gif[/url

146200.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Allison and Nancy, welcome! Stick with us. It's a great place to be. Where are you from?

Allison, I remember looking in the mirror and crying. I tried REALLY hard not to look in mirrors at all. I'd fog up the mirror before I took off my clothes to get in the shower. But recently I have cried looking in the mirror for a whole different reason. I hope soon you will get to that place. Sure, I still have a ways to go, but I'm starting to like myself again, and starting to like what I see. I can overlook the loose skin and little bulges here and there. That is just the price of admission. What I focus on is that I'm seeing less rear end, less belly, and more bones. I didn't realize my shoulders even HAD bones! I can see my collar bones for the first time in 35 years!
    Sylvia

Sylvia, good for you and that is a great point. I only wish I were there. :) DH keeps telling me my rear is smaller and other parts, but I honestly don't see it yet. The only other time I lost significant weight, I think it was about 45 pounds before anyone ever asked me if I had lost weight. That brings me to a question: So many of you have lost over 60 pounds. Do any of the rolls and fat flab ever go away? I know people that have 300 or more pounds to lose, have to have surgery to remove the excess skin. Does the body ever absorb it? No matter your answers, I plan to keep losing, but just curious.

Sylvia, so glad you are feeling better. Get even better tomorrow.

Michele in NC, thanks. My next mini goal will probably be another 10 pounds.

Rita, I took my tree down a few days ago, but still have snowmen all over the down stairs. DH finally got the last of the outside decorations in today and now I have to pack it all away for the attic. I did get a start on it today and brought a few snowmen upstairs but you just can't rush in to some things. :)

MegBlair, thanks for the update and wow does my heart go out to you. Hopefully this quarter will be way better. I always thought when my dr. reduced my metformin, it would be the one at night that I would stop taking? I see him tomorrow and my last 6 mos. A1C's have been at 5.5 so I think I'll be cut back. *fingers crossed*

Welcome to the new ladies. We are glad to have you and welcome your posts.

I increased my exercise today and feel good about it. I just have to keep it up!
    I love all the posts (even though I spend too much time on the computer) and all the support. Keep up the good work, ladies.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really saw myself in the mirror this morning after finishing a work out tape. I sat on the floor and just cried. Yep, I managed to completely sabotage myself this year by eating, all the while knowing that I was moving backwards and I would have to work harder to get the weight off. I found this board and honestly some of the things you all have written or quotes included have made an impact on me. Thank you!

Allison
    It's a journey and a lifestyle change. Challenge my courage to be the best I can be.

I can totally relate, when I first started I didn't recognize myself in the mirror I had put everyone and everything before me. I thought I was doing the right thing until a health scare and I realized that if I didn't take care of me I wouldn't be around to love and take care of my family. Now 10 months later I look in the mirror and I don't recognize myself for a different reason, 53lbs down and I'm happy seeing less of me. I'm taking the slow steady lifestyle change way this time around and I won't lie it's been a big challenge, but I like the way I'm feeling and that motivates me. I still have a good 45lbs to go so maybe next year at this time I'll be a lot closer.

Thank you for all your wonderful comments and love for each other, it's a breath of fresh air.
    Hugs from Utah
    Jenny
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday morning and Mildred Mildred sneezing blood all night. Washed all her bedding and took her to the vets this morning. She is 12 and full of lumps and bumps with one on her nose. She has antibiotics for 3 weeks and see how she goes. She is well other than that, eating and drinking fine and loves her walks.
    Had my fasting bloods this morning and took bacon sandwich then off to vets.
    Am in NO mood to train so having a day off. Food at 1982, not too bad
    I see doctor for cholesterol, sugar and hormone results in 2 weeks and then see Brian.
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about Mildred, prayers the antibiotics do the trick and she is feeling better soon. Hugs and a tender pet for Mildred.
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fair day on my calorie count today, slowly getting back on track.

Sue in TN
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just finished watching Downton Abby season opener. It's fun to think that many of us were watching it "together". Virtual viewing party!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Just got a face book report that one of the little ones that were here for Christmas, she is 3 weeks old, is in the hospital with possible pertussis. She has a wonderful Mommy and family. She is one of the little ones that her parents just keep on having a new baby every year. This is the one whose Dad decided to leave when Mommy was 4 months pregnant and has a new girl friend now. The oldest of these little ones had to have open heart surgery when he was about 9 months old. Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: Your Aunt Sis was a wise woman. Many of us have to learn that feeling a little bit hungry is not an emergency. I was on that list and am happy I learned the lesson. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I haven’t looked into jogger layers yet. I have decided to look at women’s bicycle attire. I’m sure that they have a similar issue with discomfort while riding and I saw websites that sell undergarments to women bicyclists and horseback riders. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m happy you’re feeling better. I followed your link to the June Cleaver Club. What a fun surprise. :flowerforyou:

Nancy and other new ladies: We were all new once. Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: I’ve always been great at procrastinating. I can’t blame it on retirement. Some of us have a gift… :noway: Thanks for the comments on riding pants. I have worn the same pair every time I’ve had a lesson in the last several months, and there was only one time that I hurt. It hurt bad enough that I don’t want to do that again. I’ll be shopping this week. Where did your DGD find breeches? I may go for bike shorts under my jeans if I can find any that seem likely to solve the problem. I also may buy Wranglers. I went to a presentation on endurance riding years ago. The man advocated wearing pantyhose under the riding pants for guys and gals alike. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: Thanks for your suggestions regarding riding pants. I’ll see what I can find during the week. Maybe I’ll get lucky. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: The idea of sweet potato in turkey chili is wonderful. I’ve grown to love sweet potatoes and never would touch them for years because the only ones I’d ever eaten were covered in honey and marshmallows. Bleah. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Janet in Myrtle Beach SC: I’ve lost 75 pounds and feel like I’m doing okay with shrinking skin, but not perfect. Some days I notice fine wrinkles. Other days they hide and/or I don’t notice them. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Your little Christmas guest is in my prayers along with her family. I hope she gets better quickly. :flowerforyou:

This is one of those days. I feel like I’ve been busy all day, but haven’t actually done much. At this point I’m cold, tired and grumpy. I really have no excuse to be grumpy so I think I’d better get warm and cheer up.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Here is the lost one! I am back and ready to get back on the wagon; I disappeared under a mound of stress from the business and the holiday; but I have preserved with only a 3lb gain!!! I missed you but after 12 hour days of work all I could do was crawl into bed. I will be reading back a way to catch up. Missed you all!
    Love Kim
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,401 Member
    Options
    01/04/15 greetings to all of you!
    goal - congruence between my thoughts, words and actions. Jan - make a habit of daily calorie tracking so will hold myself accountable and stop the creeping weight.
    goal - no more niceness & people pleasing. Jan - let out the responses instead of only thinking them, honesty now instead of regrets later.

Linda in CA
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Had a stressful day yesterday, my 9 year old grandson was taken into hospital he'd a a few seizures early in the morning. By the time I got to the hospital he was sedated and had a drip up to get some anti biotics in him (in case he had an infection) and also paracetamol. Poor lamb had bitten his tongue so there was blood all over the bed, a bit of a shock for me until his parents told me what had happend. His mum stayed the night with him but dad had to go home as the hospital only allow one parent to stay - strange rule but there you go.

Had a text this morning to say that Kain is now awake and feeling a little better, his temperature is back to normal and all the scans etc he had last night were ok. Thank goodness, there was talk that if he was still fitting and not getting any better that they would have to send him to a hospital miles away as they had a an intensive care facility for children. Hopefully he is now on the mend, although they don't know what caused the siezures.

Mind you poor lad - when you think he had a grandad with Narcolepsy a mum with epilepsy and a dad with dyslexia so he is very likely to have "brain" problems, but I'm hoping for the best.

Sorry to go on, but needed to get it off my chest. Must admit going into the hospital yesterday caused a few painful memories.

Had a bad day eating wise too yesterday, so need to get back on track today. Talking of which I'd better do my exercises. Determined to do at least 10 mins every morning before work. (+ the Macarena workout at weekends!)

Determined is a good word - I think someone else said that that was their word for 2015 think it might be mine too.

Take care everyone

Viv (still dark York UK)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Joyce: 33 people! You’re a better man than I, so to speak.

Yanniejannie: “determined” is a good word. I may cop that from you. I’ve gained weight this fall, so need to turn the tide.

Today’s the first work day after Christmas vacation. Tomorrow we go to the dog’s chiropractor, Wednesday I go to the dentist, Thursday I have a conversation about the work situation, and Saturday the moving van is coming with my guy’s books, piano and bookcases. The van will then take my piano to the store where it will hopefully be sold.

You have two quiet weeks and then all he•• breaks loose! :o

Hope everyone has a good day! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia

54053224.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Joyce - sending the tiny one lots of love. <3 Awful to see such a darling suffering.

Viv - Big hugs to your grandson. I expect it was the temperature, but of course they will keep an eye on him now. So glad he is recovering. <3 I remember having to go back to the hospital where my second baby was stillborn. It was as if there was a static hum in the universe. :cry:

For all those looking in the mirror. I now like what I see and DSIL was very complimentary about my shape. Sylvia - ain't those collar bones grand? I detested myself before. Yuk! I do have a bit of "bobbly" fat around my tummy and wrinkly bits here and there, but some of the wrinkles have improved over time. My arms are better than they were, but I'm still not confident in sleeveless, even though the shape is fine now. I have to keep telling myself that I am 65 and the saggy bits are inevitable. Some revealing clothes I will never be able to wear again, but I look good dressed and covered! ! ! ! ! When you see what people are walking around in, seemingly without a care! I can't wear shorts as my knees are wrinkly and deformed, especially the left one, and I don't wear capris because of fat ankles. (I have damage from sprains) So I tend to wear skinny trousers and at least half sleeve, scoop neck t shirts. That covers the worst. :laugh: I envy people who can wear sleeveless, short dresses, but I can live with it. :bigsmile:
    Got to take fown the decorations today. 12th night. I do not want it to interfere with my typing though. I have finished my book on creating good habits and I know I am in the important zone of establishing the habit where I must stick with it until it becomes second nature. :bigsmile: If I can get back into the habit of writing every day I know that will do an enormous amount for my happiness. I could not give a better gift to myself.
    Those of you who occasionally like to listen to the BBC radio, there was a discussion today on Woman's Hour about conspicuous consumption, especially over Christmas. I found it made me revisit my dislike of all the crazy Christmas madness and I think I may have a gift free Christmas next year. I will give the money to charity and ask that others do likewise. We did it the first year we were married as we were in Morocco. I can still give.my nephew and niece money and something the grandchildren need. I gave needful presents this year, not frivolous ones. What do others of you think? I thought if I told people now, in January, then they would have time to get used to the idea. If I really want something to open then I can always buy myself something I really want and wrap it up. :laugh: I would really like to go away for Christmas again, but DH isn't keen.

Kim - I am so glad to see you! ! ! ! ! <3 I was really worried that you had had an accident or something! 3 pounds is very good going. o:) Do stay with us. :flowerforyou:

DH still poorly, but I think he is turning the corner. He doesn't look half dead any more. :bigsmile:

Love to all, Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    cold and windy outside now, DH back to work, and not happy about it, and I go in at 12:30 I have to go see DFIL and pick up a throw away pan for my sons cake.. the man is 30 years old and throwing himself a pizza party, he does this every year..all my family says he needs to grow up...I did my best to raise him and his dads mom had mental problems as does his father, Dan has been treated when he was younger.
    well off I go to start the day
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lilymay
    There;s trees in Saskatchewan I sure didn't see any. They were very few and far in between. Went through there 3 times on my way to Alaska and then to Vancouver twice"

Well of course there are trees in Saskatchewan - we live on the edge of the Northern Provincial Forest. If you went to Alaska you most likely went on Hwy 16 and missed us by about 150 miles. I will have to learn how to add pictures here and post one of my walk the other day so you can all see the frost. It was very pretty.

Lillian
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    My goals for the month are:
    Be mindful; about what I eat and do
    Be regular with mfp
    Look in here as often as possible.
    Focus on getting work completed in measurable amounts.
    Drink 10 to 12 glasses of water.
    Begin attending yoga classes again.
    Thanks for being here.
    Anamika from Mumbai