Zumba for big girls

Options
13»

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have been going to zumba classes at the gym for over 3 years now.. I'm totally addicted.
    There are women and men of all ages and sizes in our class --- but actually going to a class is what keeps me going.
    I bought the DVDs and did them once :) It's boring alone :0

After you go for a bit, you will catch on and be able to work even harder.
    You'll make new friends and that gives you a reason to keep going.

I have at least 15 girls from the gym on my facebook and a few on MFP and some on FitBit.

there are things I modify in class -- and no cares! We zumba at our gym with the lights off and the music blaring..
    Get in your zone and shake it all over -- its amazing!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I agree on trying to find a class. Don't worry about anyone watching you - they all watch the instructor. Don't worry about doing the steps/movements perfectly. Have FUN. And don't be discouraged if you don't like the teacher/format. Everyone teaches a little differently. We have three instructors at our Y, and each teaches a little differently, so check around and see who you mesh with the best. The instructor should be able to show you low impact moves, or you could try a Gold class to see if you like it. Have a great time! There's nothing like working out with other people for the relationships you'll get to form and the fun atmosphere that Zumba creates.

THIS!! Make sure you try different teachers --- they are all very different. I have 2 I love and 2 I hate :) I actually burn twice as many calories with one teacher as another --- some are easy to follow, some aren't.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a bigger girl and I love Zumba! I go to a class that has quite a few bigger girls there. We all just move and have a lot of fun! I've done the Zumba DVDs, and those are fun and good when I can't get to a class. I really want to get Wii Zumba also.
  • BrownEyedGirl6483
    Options
    I also do Zumba. I used to do a class but money got tight and now I do Zumba Core on my Wii. I still try to do a class whenever I can though because nothing can beat it. When I first started, I would do "club night" where it's dark and no one could see my fat jiggle...but then I realized....there are people there bigger than me and people that are smaller than me but we are all there for the same reason....to get or stay healthy. Everyone was super supportive.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't know,reading these posts leaves me thinking its more of a coordination thing because I was horrible.For one,I'm not a dancer,ever. When I bought the DVD I foolishly thought it couldn't be that hard but It was for me.The DVD is collecting dust.If you are not shy,I would recommend you try a class first...thought that's not an option for me since I am ridiculously shy and awkward.I'm only 30 lbs lighter than you by the way.

It is absolutely a coordination - when I started zumba I had been working out with a trainer for six months, running, etc, and for half the class (or more) I just stood there because I couldn't figure out the steps. Big bonus with adding zumba or other dance classes to a well rounded workout: It really, really helps coordination. I feel like I am better at getting my body to do what I want it to do, so it's easier for me to pick up correct form in my other workouts. If my trainer shoes me a complex/compound exercise, I am able to get the form down correctly a lot faster.

And I challenge you to try to push through your shyness and hit the gym!
  • nomorehidding
    Options
    I Just started Zumba and I love it!
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I go to Zumba classes and there are all shapes and sized there. I was worried about going because I feared I would be the biggest one there. It's a lot of fun. I would suggest going to a class over DVDs, but if that's not an option, order away.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't know,reading these posts leaves me thinking its more of a coordination thing because I was horrible.For one,I'm not a dancer,ever. When I bought the DVD I foolishly thought it couldn't be that hard but It was for me.The DVD is collecting dust.If you are not shy,I would recommend you try a class first...thought that's not an option for me since I am ridiculously shy and awkward.I'm only 30 lbs lighter than you by the way.

Most of the moves are based on basic dance steps, mostly latin dance. I can only do Zumba because I stumbled through 2 required semester long fitness classes when earning my bachelor's degree: dance aerobics and international ethnic dance. Youtube and learn the basics steps the grapevine, salsa, tango, box step and cumbia. Most Zumba routines repeat 1 or more of these with added arm movements. Start with your feet, then add in the hip movements, then the arm movements and you'll pick up any Zumba routine pretty quickly.
  • tammigee13
    tammigee13 Posts: 18
    Options
    Zumba is sooooo exciting!! this coming from someone on the heavier side!! As a matter of fact, I am eagerly awaiting zumba class tomorrow! Just find a great class with an awesome instructor...after all people are there to workout and mainly are focused on themselves and trying not to trip over their own feet like myself! =) give it a try and please let me know how you like it!!

I LOVE IT!!

Best of Luck!!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to find a class to go to?

At my gym, there are lots of overweight people doing zumba and it's a fun group thing. You have some people who are super athletic dancer types laughing and getting along with those of us who are....not. :)

Definitely this. I think zumba is so much better done in a class! The interaction between instructor and the participants is great! In my class there were women of all ages, shapes, and sizes, but we all had fun and laughed a lot! I would definitely give it a shot, it may feel silly and awkward at first, but pretty soon you become less self-conscious! :)
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. I have the original DVD set and the newer Zumba Ehxilarate set and I highly recommend them both. They are much better option for me than a class because 1. money 2. getting to a class 3. my personal comfort level 4. flexibility of when and how much I do

When I first started I could only manage less than 10 minutes and would be utterly spent. Now I can do 72 minutes and feel awesome. The DVDs are beneficial I think as you don't have to worry about what others think; you can do as much or as little as you can or want to. I can't do some moves because of old injury issues so I modify the moves or repeat the moves I can do.

I started when I was around 165kg I think, back in late February (without looking it up to doublecheck). I'm now 128kg.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Zumba classes since January and I love it. It is a lot about coordination...but it's okay if you're not coordinated as long as you keep moving, whether that's doing kind of what the instructor is or just marching in place like other people suggested. The class I take is very high energy so I burn a lot of calories, and I have fun at the same time. If classes aren't an option definitely try YouTube or a DVD, but the energy in an actual class is going to motivate you more than you'll believe. My local Zumba studio offers the first class for free so look around and see if somewhere around you offers that too. And bring a water bottle because you're going to need it!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with zumba, but I know that our local parks and recreation center offers zumba classes for next-to-nothing. If you decide to try classes, check your local community center.

If you want to try a dvd, check your local library!!! There's so much there than just books!