MILK

Options
Is it better to drink 1%, 2%, or homoganized?

Replies

• mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    witch ever you like better id say i grew up with skim milk and i drink 0% protein enriched milk but also love whole milk when its fresh from the farmer next door =)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are tons of "studies" out there about what type of milk is best...but I prefer 1% or 2% (it's usually 1%). Skim milk tastes like milk-flavored water and whole milk coats my mouth and I don't like that. Of course, I have to get lactose-free, so it may be a little different.

I think you should go with whatever you're comfortable with.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, there are many studies that fat in milk (saturated fat) is bad for your health, it increases bad cholesterol levels and risk of heart issues and cancer. It is very popular belief right now that less we ate it, better. Unfortunately it is still discussed between scientists if that's actually true. Some may argue that they are not bad for you in moderation and that they even are good for you, because we do not have a 100% proof of how it effects us in long run yet. But if you are concerned about your health then I would suggest to stay away from saturated fat as much as possible, therefore drink milk with as little fat content as possible. Who knows, maybe scientists are right and that may be the crucial factor what will make you get a heart attack after 20 or 30 years cos you ate bad fat too much...

Personally I like skim milk better because I like the taste of it...
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever milk you prefer. Don't listen to those who will say that all milk is bad for you.

Personally we drink skim... always did as kids as well. We do keep a small carton of 2% in the fridge for coffee.
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Raised on skim...kids drink it too.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Fresh outta the cow, but its a lovely treat to have on occasion

otherwise semi skimmed, if i want it skimmed i'll just add water.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest 2%. I've found whole milk almost always makes me go over my sugar and fat allowance, even when I have the extra calories. I am no nutrition expert though! :)
  • msigman1
    msigman1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to unsweetened Almond milk. It is awesome. Super low in calories, fat, and sugar. I love it and my kids can't tell the difference.
  • BigMan1979
    BigMan1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest 2%. I've found whole milk almost always makes me go over my sugar and fat allowance, even when I have the extra calories. I am no nutrition expert though! :)

There is either more sugar, or equal amounts of sugar in low fat milk (2%) compared to whole milk. So I am not sure how whole milk makes you go over your sugar allowance, but 2% does not. What brand do you drink?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk, my 4 older children and husband drink 2% milk and my 15month old twins drink whole milk

To answer your question I think it's a preference.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I just switched back to 2%. I was drinking skim, but 2% tastes so much better.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk but my kids and husband drink a coconut almonf mix that we buy at Costco. It's pretty tasty!
  • trueepicure
    trueepicure Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My answer to the question depends on what you mean by better? Skim is best if you are trying to keep calories and cholesterol intake down. "Homogenized" means that it's more processed. If you're working to avoid processed foods, then you probably want to find non-homogenized milk.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Homogenized milk is also, in some places, used to refer to whole milk.

Pick the one that fits your macros and that you like.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk in my coffee, protein shakes and when dunking cookies. :wink:
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    drink what suits your taste , i drink skimmed or 1% fat but thats what i'm use to

i also really enjoy almond milk on its own or in shakes
  • dancerbyday
    dancerbyday Posts: 61
    Options
    I have always drunk whole milk, because there's nothing like the real thing. But I don't drink much of it, because milk isn't actually good for you in any form. I know it is a base, but your body treats it as an acid. Your bones have to pull calcium out to counteract it, so getting calcium from green vegetables is actually the better way to go. But it does taste soooo good, so I still drink it every once in a while as a treat, and I use it on my cereal. If you are feeling brave, you could try soy, almond, or rice milk, which are much better for you. Almond is my personal favorite. I don't think 1% or 2% milk is different enough from whole to be worth the sacrifice, so if you're going for it, go all out...
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because I do not care for it, but if you like it then drink what you like. Make your meal plans and incorporate your preference into that plan. Life is too short to consume foods you don't really like just because they may be "healthier" than another choice.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Another unsweetened almond milk drinker here checking in.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Milk fat is healthy, so it really depends on how many calories you have to spare. I usually go with 1%. It's a little more filling than skim, but not quite as heavy on the calories as higher percentages.