MILK

Options

Replies

• GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Skimmed or semi skimmed goats milk for me. Grew up with freshly squeezed goats milk and love the stuff. Less reactive and better flavoured than cows milk IMHO.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like? I've always had the belief that you should eat/drink the stuff you like, not force yourself to have stuff you don't just because it might be a bit healthier. If you're worried about going over goals with it then have less.
    I personally have 125ml of semi-skimmed every morning with my Weetabix. The fat content is a non-issue really, it sometimes makes me go over on sugar but I've started basically ignoring the sugar from milk and fruits (since I have relatively little of both)
  • BackToFree
    BackToFree Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use full cream milk. I prefer the flavour, I don't have a lot of it (only in tea or coffee and in some smoothies and protein shakes), so I go with what I like.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    A dietican said there is more vitamin A and D in whole milk and since most people are low in D I decieded to switch from lower fat milks and almond milk to full cream cows milk. I was on full cream goats milk but my doctor said it has more sodium and I have issues with blood pressure sometimes.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Personally. I drink organic whole milk but everyone is different. I used semi-skimmed for as long as I can remember but I prefer the taste of whole milk and it goes through processing that semi or skimmed to take the fats out. However, I don't drink loads of it these days (just for tea, occasional protein shake, etc) as I think I might have a slight dairy intolerance. I use almond milk for cereals.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Here's an alternate view on 'sat fat':
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_truth_about_saturated_fat

(References at bottom.)

I didn't realise unsweetened almond milk was quite so low in calories.

However, of course with skimmed (my usual choice thanks to lowish calories) or other milks, you do get some protein, which is negligible in the Almond milk.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if a low sugar, high protein milk exists?

I recently discovered how much sugar was in my skim milk :/

I'm in the UK btw
  • geebusuk
    Options
    How about a weak protein shake? That's basically the non-protein stuff taken out of milk.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and yogurt but absolutely will not drink milk...I can't stand the taste. For making soups,such as curried parsnip soup (heaven), where the flavor is sweet buttered parsnips instead of milk, I use 2%. We never have whole milk since hubby is diabetic.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    SwansonMilk.jpg
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because I do not care for it, but if you like it then drink what you like. Make your meal plans and incorporate your preference into that plan. Life is too short to consume foods you don't really like just because they may be "healthier" than another choice.

Well said!
  • kathiesmith13
    Options
    I used to drink skim milk (and did for 30 years! Since I was weaned off baby food!) until I read up on it and found a lot of evidence that skim milk can actually perpetuate weight problems. We switched the whole family to whole milk about a year ago...I didn't lose any weight (I am the only one who is overweight in my fam) but I didn't gain any either.

Saturated fat has gotten a bad rap--stay away from processed foods, sugars, and trans fat.

And lastly, all things in moderation--for years I refused to give up milk. I finally admitted to myself at the beginning of this week (when I started my new lifestyle plan) that I was drinking too many calories. Milk was my water-replacement, and I was drinking too much of it.
  • geebusuk
    Options

Saturated fat has gotten a bad rap--stay away from processed foods, sugars, and trans fat.
    Sat fat gets a bad rap from similar sources to those having a go at "processed foods and sugars in my experience ;).
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options
    I wish I could drink any milk. Have to stick with Rice Milk due to digestive issues.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Homogenized milk is also, in some places, used to refer to whole milk.

Pick the one that fits your macros and that you like.

Where? Serious question. In the United States, all milk is homogenized unless otherwise labelled. Skim milk is homogenized, as is 1%, 2%, and Whole.

Likewise, when it's not homogenized, it's not just whole milk. A local dairy around me sells non-homogenized milk in Skim, 1%, 2%, and Whole.

I've seen whole milk referred to a Vitamin D milk (despite other milks still being fortified with Vitamin D), but never as homogenized as a way to differentiate it from the skimmed varieties.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It's better to take a calcium pill and leave the milk to the baby cows.
  • Leo_729
    Leo_729 Posts: 5
    Options
    I used to drink 1%. Still buy that for the kids, but recently switched to unsweetened almond milk, LOVE IT. I rarely drink it straight- usually in my cereal, or in a smoothie. 30 calories, more calcium than regular milk and less fat.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    almond
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I grew up on 2% but switched to non-fat when I learned that fat is added to the milk. Not sure, but I don't think its the good kind of fat either.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1%. Still buy that for the kids, but recently switched to unsweetened almond milk, LOVE IT. I rarely drink it straight- usually in my cereal, or in a smoothie. 30 calories, more calcium than regular milk and less fat.

And less protein.