Alcohol - The Age Old Question

Options

Replies

• IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    @0somuchbetter0‌ - it's probably a troll.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else concerned about @dezz651's weight loss plan?

Nope. We're all big kids here. Other peoples diet plans (even those of trolls) are none of my concern. Take everyone's "advice" with a grain of salt.

Having said that, back to the original question: I also used to drink just about every evening. Since it does account for A LOT of calories, I cut it out. I'll drink on Friday or Saturday and limit myself. The only reason I noticed a "rapid weight loss" is because I just started a month ago and usually everyone experiences a pretty big drop in weight at the beginning. Not necessarily because I quit drinking. What I have found though, to replace the beer, is sparkling mineral water. It's still got that fizz that I love, it's water so it doesn't have any calories, and I get a lemon flavor that is not sweet, so it tastes like a fresh squeezed lemon in my water. LOVE IT!

Drinking in the evening was more of a habit for me, so once I replaced the beer with something else, it was easy peasy to give up.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hmm...ok then. I'd rather be duped by a troll than let someone destroy their health that way, but I hope you're right.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Neither alcohol nor junk food matter to weight loss.

Calories. That is all that matters for weight loss.

They both matter quite significantly for health reasons, but not weight loss.

I can lose weight eating only Twinkies and drinking beer.
  • Time2Change42015
    Time2Change42015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Sherbear702 great idea about the fizzy water! As I said I don't drink anything but water except when it is the alcohol or the mixers with alcohol. But plain water can be so bland!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hmm...ok then. I'd rather be duped by a troll than let someone destroy their health that way, but I hope you're right.

People destroy their lives every day. We can't save the world. At the end of the day we all make our own decisions and are held accountable for them.

LOL I'm not trying to save the world! Just pointing out some very dangerous behaviors to one individual from one post. I've seen threads go on for days about similar posts. Why the "none of my business" attitude all of a sudden? Rhetorical question...don't bother answering.
  • scupit
    scupit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think one of the kickers is what someone mentioned above...alcohol is metabolized first and then your body starts on the other food you've eaten. I too love my drinks. But this week, I plan on eating clean and drinking clean for the entire week. No alcohol until my free day. Good luck!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    @Sherbear702 great idea about the fizzy water! As I said I don't drink anything but water except when it is the alcohol or the mixers with alcohol. But plain water can be so bland!

Adding lemon, lime, or other fruit to water makes a HUGE difference. In the summer, I make big pitchers of water with mixed fruits, just refilling with water as it runs low. In the winter, I'll just squirt some lemon or lime juice into my glass.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

People destroy their lives every day. We can't save the world. At the end of the day we all make our own decisions and are held accountable for them.

LOL I'm not trying to save the world! Just pointing out some very dangerous behaviors to one individual from one post. I've seen threads go on for days about similar posts. Why the "none of my business" attitude all of a sudden? Rhetorical question...don't bother answering.
    I'll answer anyway. People ask for weight loss and health advice, I'm happy to help but I'm not going to worry about anyone as if they were a loved one. It may not be the right attitude but such is life.

This. When you get involved here you are labled as a "meanie". :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

I'll answer anyway. People ask for weight loss and health advice, I'm happy to help but I'm not going to worry about anyone as if they were a loved one. It may not be the right attitude but such is life.

Am I behaving as if she's a loved one?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Alcohol can't be stored by the body so all of it has to be metabolized before any other energy stores are tapped.
    If one is drinking a good amount before going to sleep, don't expect a lot of fat loss since the highest rate of fat burn is when you're resting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Time2Change42015
    Time2Change42015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those who have provided helpful responses.

Interesting that alcohol gets broken down first and so could detract from breaking down food calories - if I have understood that correctly!

Can the children fighting please take it elsewhere.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've been eating really healthy lately and then, BAM! Yesterday I found myself eating a chocolate bar and then chocolate pudding my husband brought home from the bakery and i'm not one for sweets! (Bread is my thing). It dawned on me this morning- I've not had a whiskey & coke in 5 days! I was a heavy drinker and was surprised I didn't miss it at all. But now obviously I have to watch the sugar cravings from cutting the soda out. If it's not one thing it's another! Good luck!
  • dezz651
    dezz651 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    dezz651 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm wondering about this as well. In my case I try to limit myself to a pint of liquor when I drink (I drink 7 nights a week). I do log it into myfitnesspal. I am only alloted 1200 cals a day and 1 pint of liqour is 1000. So I work out to burned at least 600-1000 calories a day on the treadmill. Fitness pal displays this as an increase in calories I can have for the day. I only eat about 700 calories a day and and burn about 600-1000 then I drink 1000 in liqour. I've been losing weight but wondering if I'd be losing the same if I cut down or removed alcohol . I know I certainly won't have to work out 7 days a week anymore. Idk

A lot of this post is incorrect.

1. A pint of liquor. You're drinking a pint of liquor or a pint of beer? A pint of liquor (like vodka or whiskey) would be about 7 shots and that would be about 1000 calories...is that really what you're drinking 7 nights a week??? A pint of beer varies a lot, but you could estimate about 250 calories. If you're really drinking 1000 calories worth of alcohol every night, you have more serious health concerns than weight loss.

2. Why are you only allotted 1200 calories a day? If you're using MFP to calculate it and you told it that you want to lose 2 lbs a week, it's going to tell you 1200 pretty much no matter what. This is not a good or accurate estimate. Look at this instead: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

3. I'm guessing you don't burn 600-1000 calories a day on the treadmill, unless you're either very tall and large and/or spending multiple hours a day on the treadmill. If MFP gave you 1200 calories a day, I'm guessing you're a smallish female and working out hard you're probably burning about 400-500 calories per hour.

4. You need to eat a lot more than 700 calories per day no matter what your size or how much weight you're trying to lose. You can't get the nutrients on 700 calories that your body needs to function, not to mention your long, hard workouts, plus poisoning your liver every night.

If all of this is true (and I don't think it is), you're definitely headed for an early grave.

Well I am 190lbs and 5'8" 25. I'm not really active anymore since having a desk job. I spend 60-80mins on treadmill at 15incline walking 3.5mph-3.8 then run on and off for 30sec every 20min interval. I'm former college athlete so I'm used to rigorous workout. I used to do just 30-40mins but now that's just too easy for me.

Yes a pint of liquor. I also juice a cup of grapefruit to go along with that. I know I know, a girl shouldn't have that much of a hollow leg but I enjoy having some drinks at the end of the day.

For breakfast I have a green juice made with my juicer and take multi vitamins. Lunch usually black eyed peas and ham or a homemade sandwich. And for dinner usually a lean cuisine or another sandwich with a side of veggies. I'm not big on snacking but if I do I have sliced fruit. All in all my food intake in pretty clean and steady.

I gained about 35-40lbs since I became inactive. Since I started working out again my weight is starting to go back down of course I stopped eating out all the time. Chinese food, pizza and chilli dogs were the other problems.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Yeah I'm wondering about this as well. In my case I try to limit myself to a pint of liquor when I drink (I drink 7 nights a week). I do log it into myfitnesspal. I am only alloted 1200 cals a day and 1 pint of liqour is 1000. So I work out to burned at least 600-1000 calories a day on the treadmill. Fitness pal displays this as an increase in calories I can have for the day. I only eat about 700 calories a day and and burn about 600-1000 then I drink 1000 in liqour. I've been losing weight but wondering if I'd be losing the same if I cut down or removed alcohol . I know I certainly won't have to work out 7 days a week anymore. Idk

A lot of this post is incorrect.

1. A pint of liquor. You're drinking a pint of liquor or a pint of beer? A pint of liquor (like vodka or whiskey) would be about 7 shots and that would be about 1000 calories...is that really what you're drinking 7 nights a week??? A pint of beer varies a lot, but you could estimate about 250 calories. If you're really drinking 1000 calories worth of alcohol every night, you have more serious health concerns than weight loss.

2. Why are you only allotted 1200 calories a day? If you're using MFP to calculate it and you told it that you want to lose 2 lbs a week, it's going to tell you 1200 pretty much no matter what. This is not a good or accurate estimate. Look at this instead: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

3. I'm guessing you don't burn 600-1000 calories a day on the treadmill, unless you're either very tall and large and/or spending multiple hours a day on the treadmill. If MFP gave you 1200 calories a day, I'm guessing you're a smallish female and working out hard you're probably burning about 400-500 calories per hour.

4. You need to eat a lot more than 700 calories per day no matter what your size or how much weight you're trying to lose. You can't get the nutrients on 700 calories that your body needs to function, not to mention your long, hard workouts, plus poisoning your liver every night.

If all of this is true (and I don't think it is), you're definitely headed for an early grave.

Well I am 190lbs and 5'8" 25. I'm not really active anymore since having a desk job. I spend 60-80mins on treadmill at 15incline walking 3.5mph-3.8 then run on and off for 30sec every 20min interval. I'm former college athlete so I'm used to rigorous workout. I used to do just 30-40mins but now that's just too easy for me.

Yes a pint of liquor. I also juice a cup of grapefruit to go along with that. I know I know, a girl shouldn't have that much of a hollow leg but I enjoy having some drinks at the end of the day.

For breakfast I have a green juice made with my juicer and take multi vitamins. Lunch usually black eyed peas and ham or a homemade sandwich. And for dinner usually a lean cuisine or another sandwich with a side of veggies. I'm not big on snacking but if I do I have sliced fruit. All in all my food intake in pretty clean and steady.

I gained about 35-40lbs since I became inactive. Since I started working out again my weight is starting to go back down of course I stopped eating out all the time. Chinese food, pizza and chilli dogs were the other problems.

I hope you have good health insurance