Need help with migraines

Options
I suffer from chronic migraines as a result of a tramatic brain injury. I'm having no luck treating them with pills. Does anyone else out there get migraines? Does anyone know of any foods that help or make them worse? Or any remedies other than pills?

I appreciate your feedback!

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Only thing I have ever been able to do is lie down in a quite dark room and hope for a quick death to descend upon me.
  • jrr07080
    jrr07080 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I get migranes too. I can relate.... :(
  • glitterbellexo
    Options
    I have the same problem :(.

I have found that I started to know what things would trigger my migranes. So I could avoid those food/drinks/ect.

I know that isn't super helpful, but it has kept away about 75% of my migranes.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Feverfew is a specific for migraines. Make a feverfew tea and drink 6 - 8 ounces per day without fail. It is not an immediate fix, but long-term keeps them at bay. Look it up.... and good luck?!
  • Sherrim13
    Sherrim13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I second the feverfew comment. I bought feverfew capsules on Amazon and take 2 a day and it seems to have helped my headaches quite a bit! It takes a few weeks to kick in but it's worth a try!
  • jillsprat
    jillsprat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you but it helps me:

I gently rub peppermint oil on my temples and back of neck. I then put a cold compress on my forehead and one on the back of my neck. I lay quietly in a darkened room for about a half hour to an hour.

It may not take it completely away but it sure seems to help relieve the worse part of the migraine.

Good luck.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Me too..sucks.

I take Ty3 and Imatrex..was told to try them together now too.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    After 10 years of migraines that lasted 24 hrs each time,they stopped.....or so I thought.One day I went partially blind,was in hospital with a light stroke diagnosis.Then it happened again & Dr said "occular migraines "....of the eye.Had never heard of them.A few times they happened several times a wk,but mostly they respond to Excedrin migraine med.Available without a prescription in any pharmacy.

I also learned to stay away from all forms of artifical sweeteners.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For me, drink tons of water, a dark room, a hot wet towel on my forehead, and squeezing the "fat pad" between your thumb and first finger. Not out where it's mostly skin, but where you are about an inch to 1.5 inches in and you feel fat and other tissue. Squeeze hard and hold for 20 seconds. I don't know the science behind it, but it's been working for me for 25 years. It's some sort of pressure point that relieves pain. Don't squeeze hard enough to cause pain there, but pretty firmly.

Keep caffeine level consistent throughout the day (and days), and watch what pain relievers you take. For example, if you take one that is a blood thinner, take it consistenly or not at all.

Sorry, it's tough. Migraines are debilitating.
  • DynettaBG
    DynettaBG Posts: 2
    Options
    I am so sorry - I can feel your pain. My husband and I tracked mine to determine what the triggers were. One big one for me is lack of or not enough sleep, so I have to make sure I sleep for at least 7-8 hours each night. I also didn't want to take any drugs unless absolutely necessary, so my doctor recommended 400 mg Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), 300 mg Magnesium and 300 mg CoQ10 daily. I take these along with my multivitamin and my migraines have been under control. Every now and then, things happen and I am not able to get the rest I need, etc. and the result - migraine, so when that occurs, my doctor also prescribed 500 mg Naproxen that I have to take twice a day to get rid of it. Of course, I have to get back in gear and get the required amount of rest.

I hope this helpls - this regiment has definitely helped me.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Butterbur. An herb. The label recommends 1 capsule 2X a day, but 2 capsules 2X a day is also safe if your migraines are resistant.

http://www.amazon.com/Butterbur-Extract-75-60-Caps/dp/B001TEIM1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369925760&sr=1-1&keywords=butterbur

My husband has never had a migraine in his life, but takes this for allergies. It works wonders for this also.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Butterbur. An herb. The label recommends 1 capsule 2X a day, but 2 capsules 2X a day is also safe if your migraines are resistant.

http://www.amazon.com/Butterbur-Extract-75-60-Caps/dp/B001TEIM1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369925760&sr=1-1&keywords=butterbur

My husband has never had a migraine in his life, but takes this for allergies. It works wonders for this also.
    I was going to suggest butterbur too since it's an herb, not really a "drug". My neurologist had me trying it for a bit, but I asked to be taken off it because the aftertaste made me extremely nauseous for a couple hours. :ohwell: However, I've heard WONDERFUL things about it.

I've heard that a lot of people have gotten rid of migraines or at least lessened them significantly by cutting out gluten. You could try that?

I've been suffering from chronic migraine/CDH since 2006 and have yet to find something that "cures" them. I'm on Topomax and Zoloft now, and they seem to be a tiny bit better. I'm also working on cutting out gluten, but so far I've just lowered my intake of it rather than cutting it out completely.
  • megamay79
    megamay79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I see a chiropractor on a regular basis. He adjusts my second cervical vertebrae (I think) in my neck and that makes a huge difference.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from chronic migraines for years, and meds from the doctor never worked. A couple of months ago, I ordered Migrelief (magnesium, feverfew and vitamin b2) and Butterbur extract from Amazon. I take one of each in the morning and night. It's helped SO much. I cannot recommend it enough. It's seriously been life changing from me. I keep a migraine diary, and here is how it breaks down. I started taking it at the end of February:

Dec 21 days with migraine
    Jan 16 days with migraine
    Feb 17 days with migraine
    March 9 days with migraine
    April 6 days with migraine
    May 5 days with migraine

HUGE difference! I tell everyone I know who gets migraines to order this stuff, and they never do. And I have to listen to them complain about their chronic migraines. Please try it, it's awesome. You have to take it with food at first, and it will likely upset your stomach for the first couple of weeks. After that, the stomach problems taper off for most people.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My triggers have been / are:

Stress
    Alcohol (not just excessive alcohol, time of day seems to make a difference bizarely)
    Dehydration (especially after sport)
    Sleep deprivation / disturbed sleep patterns (night shifts)
    Certain frequencies of flashing lights (strobe lights esp.)

No food triggers but I do get a salt craving during / after a migraine.

Has your Doctor tried you on any prophylactic treatments like beta blockers or amitriptyline to break the cycle? Most of these have side-effects though.

For me Osteopathic manipulation helps. My neck joints seize up which seems to affect the blood flow and tension in my neck. Cranial manipulation is effective for some and surprisingly gentle.

After having migraines for 40 years I seem to be "growing out" of them at long last and they are now a rarity for me.

Wish you the best of luck in finding a way to manage yours. :flowerforyou:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    These are some great suggestions! I looked up both butterbur and feverfew and they look promising but I'm allergic to ragweed :(( I may try them anyway. I think I'll try the magnesium, B2 and CoQ10 to see if that works first.

Right now my regimen is this: phenerghen, benedryl and ibuprofin (800mg) 3x/day and topomax at night. This combination makes me tired all the time and always feeling a little dopey. My migraines are also occular and I have to work on a computer all day, which doesn't help matters but at least they let me work in the dark and that helps. My main trigger is fluourescent lights.

I'm working on cutting out diet soda because of the aspartme (it's my last addiction) and I will definitely start paying attention to glutens.

You all are AWESOME!!! Keep the suggestions coming.:happy:
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I get them about 3-5 times a week. what I do is lie down in a dark room, keep it quiet, and try to sleep it through,
    keep very hydrated, drink as much water as you can, avoid pop (dark pop seems to aggravate my migraines)
    Hope something works, feel better!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    My migraines are also occular and I have to work on a computer all day, which doesn't help matters but at least they let me work in the dark and that helps. My main trigger is fluourescent lights.
    I forgot to mention, I've heard about this as a common trigger too. I just can't figure out how to avoid it. I can't make my office change the lights. :ohwell:

But my mom has heard that using "old school" light bulbs at home (rather than the spiral-y [compact fluorescent] ones that are more eco-friendly) can help. Do you use the old, incandescent bulbs or the newer compact fluorescent bulbs at home?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Very regular, moderate exercise is supposed to help, too. I started exercising right about the same time I started taking Migrelief and Feverfew, so I don't know if that's had anything to do with it or not. Just a suggestion, though.

I've heard Topomax is rough, side effect wise. I was always afraid my doctor would put me on that. Glad I found this combo, because I think that was the next med she was going to have me try.

I forgot to mention, I've heard about this as a common trigger too. I just can't figure out how to avoid it. I can't make my office change the lights. :ohwell:

Same here. Although I think legally you CAN make them change the bulbs.
  • vicky7917
    vicky7917 Posts: 14
    Options
    ohhhh poor you, really, really poor you :-(

I suffer 2 kinds of migraines. 1 from stress & tiredness and the other from a neck injury.

This is a good page for what can trigger migraines - http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-specific-foods It does mention sweeteners and I'd be especially inclined to agree with foods high in artificial additives and caffeine.

Natural remedies, I personally haven't found any apart from drinking lots of water and trying to sleep it off.

Medicinally, I'm prescribed Amitryptiline in 10mg doses. It's a bit of a knock out but I do tend to wake up with the migraine gone. I also find diazepam (which I take for other reasons) a good quick remedy but it's not something you can rely on long term.

Unfortunately, if your migraines are from a head injury (like mine are often from a neck injury) there might be very little you can do to prevent them.

I truly hope you find a way to manage them.