17 Day Diet is Starting Soon!! Join Us!!

Options

Replies

• LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No need to come here and be rude to these people or try to display your superiority. Let these people lose weight how they want and you can lose weight how you want. That 'fad diets fail' line is a little tired because the fact of the matter is, no matter the method of losing weight, a lot of people gain the weight back eventually, so don't act like you're superior for following one way over the other.
    s1v1osvrp4nc.gif
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    No need to come here and be rude to these people or try to display your superiority. Let these people lose weight how they want and you can lose weight how you want. That 'fad diets fail' line is a little tired because the fact of the matter is, no matter the method of losing weight, a lot of people gain the weight back eventually, so don't act like you're superior for following one way over the other.

No one was being rude. And certainly, no one was trying to "display their superiority". They're pointing out the FACT that moderation/excercise is one of the few consistently successful ways.

Also, once again... Opposing opinions =/= Rude or negative. This is a public forum. ANYONE can post an opinion, whether certain people like what they have to say or not.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

No one was being rude. And certainly, no one was trying to "display their superiority". They're pointing out the FACT that moderation/excercise is one of the few consistently successful ways.

Also, once again... Opposing opinions =/= Rude or negative. This is a public forum. ANYONE can post an opinion, whether certain people like what they have to say or not.

wnr2li07vtc6.gif
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just a quick warning. I did this diet, lost weight. Gained it back at the end and then some. It did not help me develop good eating habits. Please consider avoiding this diet and working instead on creating a caloric deficit without gimmicks.

QFT

Also no one is acting superior. The people giving reasonable advice here have been there done that.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    It honestly is not a fad diet if you treat it as a life style change. I did not just gain the weight back because I stopped following the system. I had an accident that caused me to be sedentary as well as depression that i ate all the wrong things during. Mkegal.. do not use my post to prove your point with out the details. If you are not interested inthis group why join and come in with such negativety?

It's a public forum, therefore anyone can come in and give an opinion. Having an opposing opinion does not equal negativity.

However, it's January, so there are a lot of people reading these threads. The people who have been here a long time (me) and have done it without any special diet (also me) try to let the new people see that the old tried and true method of eating in moderation and moving a little more does actually work. Restrictive diets like these rarely work long term. Who wants a life without pizza, cookies, brownies, or margaritas? Not I.

michellepastaa.gif
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Just a quick warning. I did this diet, lost weight. Gained it back at the end and then some. It did not help me develop good eating habits. Please consider avoiding this diet and working instead on creating a caloric deficit without gimmicks.

I also gave this diet a shot, which is why I came in with my "hostility" and "negativity."

But whatevs, I lost 30 pounds counting calories and working out. WHAT DO I KNOW?
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    It honestly is not a fad diet if you treat it as a life style change. I did not just gain the weight back because I stopped following the system. I had an accident that caused me to be sedentary as well as depression that i ate all the wrong things during. Mkegal.. do not use my post to prove your point with out the details. If you are not interested inthis group why join and come in with such negativety?

It's a public forum, therefore anyone can come in and give an opinion. Having an opposing opinion does not equal negativity.

However, it's January, so there are a lot of people reading these threads. The people who have been here a long time (me) and have done it without any special diet (also me) try to let the new people see that the old tried and true method of eating in moderation and moving a little more does actually work. Restrictive diets like these rarely work long term. Who wants a life without pizza, cookies, brownies, or margaritas? Not I.

michellepastaa.gif

Bahsgetti!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Review of 17 Day Diet: Pros
    1. It's quick. The best part of this diet is that it's quick — just 17 days — and it features real food, so it's easier to stick to than other fad diets.

2. It can help you get back on track. If you're looking for a jump start to a healthier diet, The 17 Day Diet can give you the framework to get back to a more nutritious way of eating.

Review of 17 Day Diet: Cons
    1. It's not a lifestyle change. By no means does The 17 Day Diet teach you how to eat a healthy diet for the long haul.

Just like other fad diets, unless you keep up with some of the healthy eating requirements in The 17 Day Diet plan, once you go off the diet you're likely to put the weight right back on.

2. It may affect your workouts. In the beginning stages of The 17 Day Diet, you limit your intake of carbs. If you're someone who exercises a lot, this restriction of carbs may negatively impact your sweat sessions. No fun!

shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/pros-and-cons-17-day-diet

Fad diet is a fad.
  • ChristinaLeeConway
    ChristinaLeeConway Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    [/b]

I also gave this diet a shot, which is why I came in with my "hostility" and "negativity."

But whatevs, I lost 30 pounds counting calories and working out. WHAT DO I KNOW?

well for the record...back in 2009 I was in law school and i too lost 45lbs counting calories so I've been there done that.. and just like lots of you I too gained it back and then some... yalls rationale is ridiculous.. you can lose weight and gain back no matter what method is used to initially lose it. The goal is a lifestyle change and that is going to be everyone's ultimate struggle no matter what method is used to initially shed pounds.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Avoid fad diets, and avoid people peddling very questionable "science".
    Eat real food, in reasonable portions, and exercise at least 30 min/day.
    Cycle 1: Accelerate- the rapid weight loss portion, which helps flush sugar and fat storage from your system
    Fat cells never go away, other than liposuction. And sugar (carbohydrate) storage never goes away, which is a good thing because you need carbs to run the body.
    Cycle 2: Activate- the metabolic restart portion, with alternating low and high calorie days to help shed body fat
    Your metabolism does not need to be restarted. If it's stopped, you're dead.
    If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. Alternating low & high calories will only slow that.
    Cycle 3: Achieve- a phase that involves learning to control portions and introducing new fitness routines
    This is the only useful part. Skip the others and just keep doing this.
    Cycle 4: Arrive- a combination of the first three cycles to keep good habits up for good. On weekends, enjoy your favorite foods
    Enjoy your favorite foods all the time, just in reasonable amounts.

51637601.png

^Thank you. Fad diets are ridiculous.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    [/b]

well for the record...back in 2009 I was in law school and i too lost 45lbs counting calories so I've been there done that.. and just like lots of you I too gained it back and then some... yalls rationale is ridiculous.. you can lose weight and gain back no matter what method is used to initially lose it. The goal is a lifestyle change and that is going to be everyone's ultimate struggle no matter what method is used to initially shed pounds.

You go girl! You do you.
  • ChristinaLeeConway
    Options
    No need to be hostile or think
    Exactly.

Ugh come on...clearly that was a typo...but a funny one, I'll give it that.
  • ChristinaLeeConway
    Options
    Also...You should know that the over all tone of this thread is more combative than encouraging. Thankfully I've lost weight both by counting calories and also by using diet plans....but there's the possibility that those who are truly new to mfp may not have that background. Please practice kindness and encouragement in place of sarcasm and discouragement.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    OP,
    I could encourage someone in their decision to jump off a bridge... or I could say, "hey don't do that--it's not wise." Which is more kind? To tell the truth or encourage the lie?

This diet is unwise-- and honestly, more complicated than it needs to be. If you want to do it, then fine... but if you post and try to spread misinformation in a public thread then don't be surprised when people call you out on it.

Because this post isn't just about you... its about many other newbies who have no idea how to do this, see your post and feel like this is what they HAVE to do to lose weight. The opposed are just trying to give these people facts and more information to make a better, more informed decision.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    OP,
    I could encourage someone in their decision to jump off a bridge... or I could say, "hey don't do that--it's not wise." Which is more kind? To tell the truth or encourage the lie?

This diet is unwise-- and honestly, more complicated than it needs to be. If you want to do it, then fine... but if you post and try to spread misinformation in a public thread then don't be surprised when people call you out on it.

Because this post isn't just about you... its about many other newbies who have no idea how to do this, see your post and feel like this is what they HAVE to do to lose weight. The opposed are just trying to give these people facts and more information to make a better, more informed decision.

+1 :smile:
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    OP,

e6u4ok.gif
  • ChristinaLeeConway
    Options
    OP,

Misinformed??? I'm only repeating what has been published in. Dr. Mike Morenos book, featured on the show The Doctors and Dr. Oz. And the only reason I knew about it was because it was listed as the number one dieting option in 2014 I only gave a brief summary...there's much more to it that no one would know about unless they actually did more research. I must think a bit more highly than you do of the true newbies because I'm of the opinion that they aren't just going to be gullible and think weight loss is easy or a fad. I'm of the opinion that they will be willing to do the research and dive deeper...
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    You do realize that Dr. Oz is a quack, right?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP,

Misinformed??? I'm only repeating what has been published in. Dr. Mike Morenos book, featured on the show The Doctors and Dr. Oz. And the only reason I knew about it was because it was listed as the number one dieting option in 2014 I only gave a brief summary...there's much more to it that no one would know about unless they actually did more research. I must think a bit more highly than you do of the true newbies because I'm of the opinion that they aren't just going to be gullible and think weight loss is easy or a fad. I'm of the opinion that they will be willing to do the research and dive deeper...

Anything with Dr. Oz is big fat NO, NO!!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    newser.com/story/200180/science-shows-half-of-what-dr-oz-says-is-bunk.htmlhttp://

Sorry, but you've been bamboozled. The problem is that most "research" out there is bunk and you have to really search for actual science-- and it's not always easy to find. .