Let's be nice to the newbies

Options
So I used to be the mean girl in the gym all high and mighty when the newbies would come stampeding into the gym in January all haughty and angry that "they" were crowding up "my" gym. However, now that I'm wiser and perhaps older, I realize the err in my ways and realize, we all have started somewhere, whether it be on new years or some life shattering moment that caused us to make lifestyle changes.
For me I was an avid outdoor runner, but there was a time where I decided to join a gym to give me more options besides the great outdoors, and there were lots of cool people, who helped me with the machines and friends I met in aerobics classes that were some awesome all around people, but few mean unsupportive people, not to say I was outwardly mean to any one, but in my heart I suppose I was. So with that said if you see someone new at the gym, wherever you happen to workout, greet them, smile, and help them if they do not understand how a machine works. It will cost you nothing, but will pay off in how you feel and perhaps that one word of encouragement or smile will help them to continue their fitness journey.

Replies

• curvesfordays8907
    curvesfordays8907 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Thank you! Every person in that gym has a right to be there!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Or we could just leave them to get on with it and if they need any help, they'll ask someone.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks, mom.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Thanks, mom.

anytime, with age comes wisdom, then grace.
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I read this post and thought....oh how nice....maybe I shouldn't be so afraid to go to a gym....then I read....the Gym Rules post and now I'm scared again!
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    No, you should totally go; don't let anyone or anything scare you away from doing what you want to do to get fit.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's nothing personal against newbies in particular. It's just unbelievably crowded in classes for the month and it's sad to see so many people inevitably drop out so quickly. You hesitate to reach out to new people in January because the odds of them being around in February are so small.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way-- Without people who pay all year for the gym and only use it in January, gyms would cost the rest of the people a whole lot more!
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    As nervous as I am to go....seeing the rules totally made sense to me......I would definitely want a trainer as I've never done weights but from everything that I am reading it's the weights that ends up getting people to their goals. And I'm glad that someone put the rules out there.....or I would be the one causing stress for others. Again, MFP is full of such valuable information...and I appreciate that people take the time to post. I've learned so much.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    NC_Girl wrote: »
    I read this post and thought....oh how nice....maybe I shouldn't be so afraid to go to a gym....then I read....the Gym Rules post and now I'm scared again!

Yeah, I think I'll do my exercise at home without the judgment of others. I'm not on the market anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19507081.png
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'll do my exercise at home without the judgment of others. I'm not on the market anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No one is judging that I've ever seen in my years of membership and for people who stick around, it's a great place to make new friends. I don't know anything about being on the market, though.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    No one is judging that I've ever seen in my years of membership and for people who stick around, it's a great place to make new friends. I don't know anything about being on the market, though.

Sounds like you are at a friendlier gym than OP! :smile:
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »

I don't think I was outwardly mean to anyone, but on the inside I was frustrated when I couldn't find a parking spot or I had to wait for machines; however, easy for me to say now(20/20 hindsight), since I have built a decent home gym.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    NC_Girl wrote: »

The only ones that really matter/should abide by are :

"#1. The Squat rack is for squats. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. If you feel the need to use a full Olympic bar for your maximum, super awesome curls, there is a power rack right next to the squat rack. Or, you know, a curl bar...and dumbbells.....
    #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights. You were able to pick them up and put them on machine, you're certainly strong enough to put them back.
    #10. Wipe down your damn bench. Nothing quite like seeing another persons *****, and back print on the seat to get me pumped for a set.
    #11. Please, please leave the weights in the weight section. Don't run off them, making us all wonder if the gym has gremlins.
    #12. Please don't hoard the dumbbells. Often, you can only lift two dumbbells at a time. If you have made a nest of 8 dumbbells, even if you super set, it is SUPER annoying to the other gym goers."

Don't be scared!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options

I belong to the Y, which I have to say is friendlier than NYSC was. It also has better facilities and I can go to any location in the city.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why would someone be mean because they were exercising? Everyone pays to be there.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I don't think I was outwardly mean to anyone, but on the inside I was frustrated when I couldn't find a parking spot or I had to wait for machines; however, easy for me to say now(20/20 hindsight), since I have built a decent home gym.
    What's wrong with being frustrated about those things? Sounds normal to me.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    Nothing, I suppose, just trying to be more understanding these days.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I wipe down my sweat and even put away other weights if I have time. But I still get upset at newbies and regulars that don't follow the basic rules. I pay to use the facilities but I also take time to take care of the facilities
  • actlikealady1986
    Options
    I've worked for the largest YMCA in the country. With that free membership, I went to classes (Zumba!) and did a few days on the machines. No one helped me, and with all the weird looks I got, it discouraged me. I got more serious about losing weight and ended up losing 40 lbs in 6 months from eating the right amounts (of whatever I wanted except for fast food), walking 2.5 miles a day and doing 200 crunches a day. Didn't need the gym. Continued to work there though.