Let's be nice to the newbies

Replies

• scruff_farrier
    scruff_farrier Posts: 47 Member
    Also something I learned/still learning, some people are shy. Me being one of them, I don't talk to people of I don't need to. That being said, I was literally a memeber at one gym for a full year, and maybe spoke a sentence in that entire time to someone. Made me feel unwanted and ended up leaving the gym and changing gyms because of it. So remember not all people don't want to learn/don't want to teach. I learned at the next gym it is ok to ask and ok to give pointers if someone seems to be struggling.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    edited January 2015
    NC_Girl wrote: »
    As nervous as I am to go....seeing the rules totally made sense to me......I would definitely want a trainer as I've never done weights but from everything that I am reading it's the weights that ends up getting people to their goals. And I'm glad that someone put the rules out there.....or I would be the one causing stress for others. Again, MFP is full of such valuable information...and I appreciate that people take the time to post. I've learned so much.

What really helps is to read some books (like New Rules of Weightlifting for Women) to understand the basic game plan and why you do what and when, and then find people demonstrating exercises on youtube. When you go in armed with a battle plan and a bit of knowledge, it makes it a little less intimidating.

Don't ever be afraid! Just get started - and if you see somebody doing something you were curious about (how to work a machine, form, etc) it's ok to watch from the corner of your eye for a moment. :smile:

For gym regulars, New Years Day is something you sort of prepare yourself for. It's just gonna be more crowded, and not everybody knows (or cares) about 'the rules'. A big smile will go a long way.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    As nervous as I am to go....seeing the rules totally made sense to me......I would definitely want a trainer as I've never done weights but from everything that I am reading it's the weights that ends up getting people to their goals. And I'm glad that someone put the rules out there.....or I would be the one causing stress for others. Again, MFP is full of such valuable information...and I appreciate that people take the time to post. I've learned so much.

What really helps is to read some books (like New Rules of Weightlifting for Women) to understand the basic game plan and why you do what and when, and then find people demonstrating exercises on youtube. When you go in armed with a battle plan and a bit of knowledge, it makes it a little less intimidating.

Don't ever be afraid! Just get started - and if you see somebody doing something you were curious about (how to work a machine, form, etc) it's ok to watch from the corner of your eye for a moment. :smile:

For gym regulars, New Years Day is something you sort of prepare yourself for. It's just gonna be more crowded, and not everybody knows (or cares) about 'the rules'. A big smile will go a long way.

Amen
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Hey guys, let's uhm, be nice ok?
    Thanks.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    As long as nobody gets in my way intentionally, I don't care what they do. I'm not going to go out of my way to help every person I see in the gym, but I suppose I would if they asked for it. If someone wants to watch me lift I don't mind as long as they tell me before hand that they are doing it to learn. So my rules would be:

1) Respect my personal space.
    2) Talk to me if you're going to stare at me.

Anything else...whatever.
  • ZenDoggie
    ZenDoggie Posts: 74 Member
    Please Clean the equipment after you use it! I do not want to sit in any ones butt sweat.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    It's nothing personal against newbies in particular. It's just unbelievably crowded in classes for the month and it's sad to see so many people inevitably drop out so quickly. You hesitate to reach out to new people in January because the odds of them being around in February are so small.

Do you think that people drop out so quickly in part because there are just so many people at the beginning of the year? Do they come in and assume it will always be that crazy and give up? Maybe we need to educate people to not start in Jan/Feb because it can get a bit out of control.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Aemely wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'll do my exercise at home without the judgment of others. I'm not on the market anyway.

what does that even mean?

like if you go to a gym you're some how on the market?

You know- honestly some of the most judgemental people I've ever seen are the ones who go "I'm afraid to do XXXX Because I'm going to get judged"

seriously.

If you want to go to the gym- go to the gym.

if you want to workout at home- workout at home.

neither of those things should be impacted by what other people think. You should have a goal- and work to the goal- damned if anyone else thinks otherwise.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    It would never even dawn on me to be mean to someone at the gym. Like, why? I don't get it.

Thankfully, I workout with a great community.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »
    It would never even dawn on me to be mean to someone at the gym. Like, why? I don't get it.

This.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    I had trouble with my legs when I was little and kids made fun of me in gym class. I am still not 100% OK with group fitness because of it. I let myself get fat because I was terrified of being athletic in front of other people. Just work on yourself and don't worry about others. Just like yesterday I was trying BodyPump for the first time (it's awesome) and some girl came in mid-way who was trying to be helpful but it ended up just making me anxious. You never know what other people are going through, but we should all be supportive of anyone who wants to get to their fitness goals. Now, that girl who sits on the crunch machine and texts? Everyone can be mean to her! ;)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Thanks.
    and graceful

• dbmata

You cultist you. lol.

That's one thing CF has nailed perfectly, is community.
  • dbmata
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Thanks.
    and graceful
    Grace is beyond many. I am close to someone who hasn't met a wall she doesn't like walking into.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

You cultist you. lol.

That's one thing CF has nailed perfectly, is community.

Thumbs_Up!.gif
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    So....say a newbie wanted to start....what time of year is relatively slow? I'm not ready to go yet and I am slightly embarrassed because (being a red head) I get real red. I look like I'm going to pass out. So, I would be more likely to stay if it wasn't insanely busy. Do you think March would be a better time to start? I'll have lost more weight by then and not feel so self-conscious.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

if you stick to those rules you will have zero problems..

A lot of people get pissy when weighs are not re-racked or people stand in there way, etc, etc...

I think most of the "gym people are a-hole" syndrome comes from people not knowing proper etiquette and then maybe being told in a not so nice way that they are violating it..

so go to the gym, crush your work out, and just abide by some simple etiquette and you will be good to go .most of it is common sense, if you think about it.
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member

.....Thank you so much. I will do this....because I hate doing things without some knowledge.....and then when certain terms are used I'll at least be familiar with them and not look at them like they have two heads!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I have never seen anyone at my gym be mean to anyone...

I mean if some idiot is standing behind me when I am trying to pull a 375 pound DL..then yea, I might give him the death stare..but that is about it...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    So....say a newbie wanted to start....what time of year is relatively slow? I'm not ready to go yet and I am slightly embarrassed because (being a red head) I get real red. I look like I'm going to pass out. So, I would be more likely to stay if it wasn't insanely busy. Do you think March would be a better time to start? I'll have lost more weight by then and not feel so self-conscious.

No better time to start than right now.

There is nothing to be self-conscious about as we are all here for pretty much the same reason.

I am sure you have read the articles showing that those who do weight loss with friends for support fare better than those who try to go it alone.

Give MFP a try for 2 weeks, and then decide if you want to wait. It will take you about 2 weeks to get the hang of logging anyway - and then it gets a WHOLE lot easier.