keto fast

Options
I was stalled on my keto weight loss, so I tried the "keto fast" For 3 days you eat mostly fat, pretty much 0 carbs, and low protein. I was eating bacon and bulletproof coffee for breakfast, 4 oz of cream cheese for lunch, and 4 oz store bought chicken salad for dinner, then 1/4 cup macademian nuts for a snack. Never hungry, so I guess when I was doing regular keto I wasn't eating enough fat, cause I would get hungry between meals. I lost 5 pounds, and started adding back my eggs, and some protein and carbs. I like having that boost to help you get through.

Replies

• bl123456
    bl123456 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do keto, too, and am almost never hungry. It's been a hard holiday season, though. Trying to get back on track. I may try your fat fast idea just to get my system going again. I have a recipe that calls for one block of cream cheese, cut into 20 cubes, roll cubes in 1 package of sugar free jello (choose your flavor). 1 serving is 4 cubes. Not bad. Might make a nice change from just plain cream cheese for lunch. :)
  • MessiGardener
    MessiGardener Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just got on yesterday and finished editing my profile today. I am trying to do the Keto diet also. I have been on it since 12/20/14 and am feeling good. I bought a Blood Sugar monitor. My starting BS was 95, It has been steadily increasing. Today, my fasting BS was 167! However, my Blood Pressure is getting better and better, and I've lost 7 lbs. For the past 2 days the weight has stalled. Does this sound normal to everyone on Keto?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Every time I read these keto diets, I think, "Oh, my God, these people are going to have heart attacks," so I have to say that you might want to consider an overall healthy diet...maybe check out the Heart Association website.

It isn't that I don't support your right to diet your way and I'm not trying to lecture you out of it. I just had to say it. Please don't take it as criticism because it isn't. I know that not everyone cares about their health at every stage of their life and they all have the right to work on their own goals!

For weight loss, it won't matter. You can lose weight without a healthy diet. It's all about the calories. If you keep the calories low enough, you'll lose weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just got on yesterday and finished editing my profile today. I am trying to do the Keto diet also. I have been on it since 12/20/14 and am feeling good. I bought a Blood Sugar monitor. My starting BS was 95, It has been steadily increasing. Today, my fasting BS was 167! However, my Blood Pressure is getting better and better, and I've lost 7 lbs. For the past 2 days the weight has stalled. Does this sound normal to everyone on Keto?

MessiGardener your difference in glucose levels does not sound typically what one would expect but keep in mind you may be a few weeks away from being in nutritional ketosis even if you are eating <50 grams of carbs a day.

You will need a meter that can test for both glucose and ketone levels to know for sure when you are in a state of ketosis and at what level. There is a lot to learn I have found over the last half of 2014 about adapting to a sensible keto lifestyle. If you are just looking at keto eating for only weight loss I expect you can expect to fail at the same rate most fail at dieting. After being in a state of nutritional ketosis for over three months my fasting blood sugar level is 60-80 (USA) and ketone level is in the .5-3.0 range but that can vary from person to person I am sure.

There is nothing magical about a Keto diet when it comes to losing weight. It is just 100% science. The major plus (if you are mentally and physically able to cold turkey all sugar and most all carbs) is after a few weeks the sugar/carb cravings cease if you just refrain from feeding the cravings.

Most people on this site mentally can not envision cutting out the carbs and getting their fat intake up to 80% of their total calorie intake thereby taking the Low Carb High Fat/Keto diet off the table of diet options.
  • MessiGardener
    MessiGardener Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input Gale. I failed to mention (because the first post was so long) that I do also have Ketone strips, Only one time, on the second day of the diet, it was 40. A few times it has been 15. Usually it is 5 or less. I think what I really need is a daily diet plan for a day or two to clue me as to how to gauge. I don't want to just lose weight. I already see marked improvement in BP. I've heard that the BS will likely lower after approximately 2 weeks. I'm almost there, so, come Sunday I will change things around a bit if need be.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Every time I read these keto diets, I think, "Oh, my God, these people are going to have heart attacks," so I have to say that you might want to consider an overall healthy diet...maybe check out the Heart Association website.

It isn't that I don't support your right to diet your way and I'm not trying to lecture you out of it. I just had to say it. Please don't take it as criticism because it isn't. I know that not everyone cares about their health at every stage of their life and they all have the right to work on their own goals!

For weight loss, it won't matter. You can lose weight without a healthy diet. It's all about the calories. If you keep the calories low enough, you'll lose weight.
    I care about my health and am on a ketogenic diet. Feel fantastic. Losing weight -- more importantly, losing fat. More energy than ever. My IBS is basically gone.

I have a physical coming up soon, so I'll be sure to let you know if my test results indicate an increased risk of a heart attack!
  • ketorach
    Options
    P.S. I think fat fasts are stupid.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why would you fast ?
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you need to eat good fats. real butter, real mayo, nuts, cocconut oil, chicken, lean meats, and cheese. After I went on the keto a year ago,(and lost 43 pounds) my blood pressure went down and so did my cholesterol. The fat fast is only if your weight loss is stalled to put you into ketosis really quick. Your not suppose to be on it for more than 3 days. I always follow my fitness pal for my cholesterol and keep it under 300. I still need to lose about 8 pounds, then I will probably switch to paleo, so I can start having fruit again.
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

shouldn't call things stupid if you never tried it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I've had wonderful results doing alternate day fasting. I'm almost at my goal weight. I'll be incorporated some type of fasting for the rest of my life!

• Behold76
    Options
    What was your calorie intake while doing keto.
  • ketorach
    Options

I've had wonderful results doing alternate day fasting. I'm almost at my goal weight. I'll be incorporated some type of fasting for the rest of my life!
    I'm totally down with intermittent fasting. But a fat fast? No.
  • Behold76
    Options
    I was stalled on my keto weight loss, so I tried the "keto fast" For 3 days you eat mostly fat, pretty much 0 carbs, and low protein. I was eating bacon and bulletproof coffee for breakfast, 4 oz of cream cheese for lunch, and 4 oz store bought chicken salad for dinner, then 1/4 cup macademian nuts for a snack. Never hungry, so I guess when I was doing regular keto I wasn't eating enough fat, cause I would get hungry between meals. I lost 5 pounds, and started adding back my eggs, and some protein and carbs. I like having that boost to help you get through.

What was your calorie intake while doing keto
  • Christine_72
    Options

oh ok :) you'd love the egg fast diet then. Where you eat nothing but eggs and fat for 5 days :o

• ketorach
    Options

oh ok :) you'd love the egg fast diet then. Where you eat nothing but eggs and fat for 5 days :o
    Well, I do really love eggs... but probably not that much! At least eggs have protein. I disagree with eating nothing but fat for three days. Why?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    It's 1tbs of fat (mayo, butter, coconut) to each egg. Minimum of 6 eggs per day. People lose weight very quickly. But I can't get my head around eating all those calories and still lose weight. Keto and low carbers use it if they've plateaued. The carbs for the day are around 5
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Even when I was doing Atkins and was used to very low carbs, I could never quite bring myself to do a Fat Fast. I did see people off and on, on a few LC boards, who occasionally did fat fasts and said they started losing again. Generally, the people who were doing them, had stopped losing just doing LC.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Even when I was doing Atkins and was used to very low carbs, I could never quite bring myself to do a Fat Fast. I did see people off and on, on a few LC boards, who occasionally did fat fasts and said they started losing again. Generally, the people who were doing them, had stopped losing just doing LC.

Yes. As I'm not terribly low carb to begin with. I'd most likely put the weight back on when I started eating normally again.

• yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a fat fast, but I have never needed to. I've been ketoing for three months and have lost 24lbs. Never stalled so far.