new and having a hard time gaining weight

Options
I weigh 93 pounds and would at least like to get to 105! I would love to find support and help in doing so! getting to the gym is hard so if there are any home workouts and such that i can do for muscle?! please let me know!!

money is also tight but dont want to eat unhealthy.

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    What's your age and height?
  • ashbaby2390
    Options
    I am 24, and height 5'0"
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I am 24, and height 5'0"

Okay, and what's your activity level? Desk job? Exercise 1x per week? 2x per week? 3? 4? Every day?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    first - food is not healthy or unhealthy it is just energy that your body uses…

If you want to gain weight then figure out how many calories you need to eat for a .5 or one pound per week gain, and eat to that number..

cookies, ice cream, bagels, fully fat cottage cheese, pizza, candy bars, steak, cheese, etc are all good foods to get you there..

as far as working out from home…do you have weights at home, or are you just looking for body weight stuff?

• ashbaby2390
    Options
    ill get weights if need be but as of right now money is extremely tight.
    i work in a factory, I am on my feet all day walking constantly and lifting depending on the part job. i had my large intestine removed when i was fifteen due to colon polyps and chance of cancer. so thats another add on factor in not having and eaasy time keeping weight on, though because of it I am ALWAYS hungry.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think there is a book/website - "you are your own gym" or something like that …it has all kind of body weight exercises that you can do. However, building muscle does involve lifting progressively heavier things, so eventually the gains from body weight only will peter out..

I normally would never recommend this but do you have a Planet Fitness near you? I believe it is only 10.00 a month and you can cancel anytime…

• ashbaby2390
    Options
    i believe I do. I will look into the book though as well.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I personally think PF is a bunch of BS with the whole judgment free zone, no squatting or deadlifting bla bla….but for 10.00 a month it is a pretty good deal and you would have access to a lot of weights...
  • ashbaby2390
    Options
    i heard something like that, maybe try that out till i get my new apartment and can get some weights myself.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    i work in a factory, I am on my feet all day walking constantly and lifting depending on the part job. i had my large intestine removed when i was fifteen due to colon polyps and chance of cancer. so thats another add on factor in not having and eaasy time keeping weight on, though because of it I am ALWAYS hungry.

Okay so your BMR is roughly 1094 calories and your TDEE is 2079 calories (when I put in daily exercise + physical job).

BMR represents the number of calories your body burns at rest.

TDEE is the amount of calories your body burns in a 24 hour period (while sleeping, eating, working, exercising, etc).

Since you want to gain weight, you will need to eat roughly 2200+ calories daily.

So sorry to hear about the colectomy! I have Crohn's disease so I'm familiar with it. Do you have Crohn's or UC? Because you don't have a large intestine, that could be contributing to your difficulty gaining weight. I would speak to your gastroenterologist (who I am assuming performed the surgery) about this.
  • ashbaby2390
    Options
    gardners syndrome. its completely different but also can involve removal of the large intestine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree with not categorizing foods as "healthy" and "unhealthy." You want to build your diet around protein, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, etc. but there's nothing at all wrong with adding in some higher calorie "treat" foods in order to hit your goal. I have a lot of trouble eating (health issues) and if it weren't for things like ice cream I'd be dropping weight like crazy.

I know a lot of people who do You Are Your Own Gym. I don't know how much muscle you can put on with it but if you haven't done any strength training before it seems like you ought to be able to get started with that. When you're ready for weights maybe look into adjustable dumbbells. Mine set were $60 I think, which is a little pricey but they're lasted me a long time without having to buy more weights.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    this is the site i use to look at how many calories i need for either maintaining, losing or gaining, and it shows per amount each week you prefer to lose or gain.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • mhmh786
    Options
    Make tuna your best friend
  • nanosuitninja
    nanosuitninja Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mhmh786 wrote: »
    Make tuna your best friend
    ... Eat your dog instead.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Try http://nerdfittness.com/
    It has good body weight routines that you can do at home.
    For food eat lots of pasta and sauces, potatoes and gravy, with meat and veg included of course.
    Cheesecake would be good too, yum.

Good luck with your gains, h.
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Okay so your BMR is roughly 1094 calories and your TDEE is 2079 calories (when I put in daily exercise + physical job).

BMR represents the number of calories your body burns at rest.

TDEE is the amount of calories your body burns in a 24 hour period (while sleeping, eating, working, exercising, etc).

Since you want to gain weight, you will need to eat roughly 2200+ calories daily.

So sorry to hear about the colectomy! I have Crohn's disease so I'm familiar with it. Do you have Crohn's or UC? Because you don't have a large intestine, that could be contributing to your difficulty gaining weight. I would speak to your gastroenterologist (who I am assuming performed the surgery) about this.

hiya how do you work these out?i REALLY need to gain weight and be intrested to find out
  • ashbaby2390
    Options
    JovanValor wrote: »
    Add me on Instagram, ill guide you add: inspiring.bodies
    Following now and thank you I need tips !!
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    JovanValor wrote: »
    Add me on Instagram, ill guide you add: inspiring.bodies
    Strong self promotion.

OP you'd be better off adding me.
    My physique is better, and I likely lift more.
  • tasha_christine
    Options
    I agree with not categorizing foods as "healthy" and "unhealthy." You want to build your diet around protein, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, etc. but there's nothing at all wrong with adding in some higher calorie "treat" foods in order to hit your goal. I have a lot of trouble eating (health issues) and if it weren't for things like ice cream I'd be dropping weight like crazy.

I know a lot of people who do You Are Your Own Gym. I don't know how much muscle you can put on with it but if you haven't done any strength training before it seems like you ought to be able to get started with that. When you're ready for weights maybe look into adjustable dumbbells. Mine set were $60 I think, which is a little pricey but they're lasted me a long time without having to buy more weights.