having hard time gaining

Options
2»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You're shoulder pressing the same weight you were 10 years ago?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well I've been doing shoulder presses for 10 years. I still see no improvement. ha. So it was time to try doing other things for shoulders. Etc. I was pretty consistent until this year. Well I should say last year now. In 2014 I was trying new things. None worked, so I guess back to the basics again. My body loses weight fast. I was lifting routinely and eating a moderate amount. Then I went to basic training and lost 27 pounds over the first 3 weeks. 27 pounds! Took 2 years to put it back on. I'm going to be tracking more closely in 2015 and see what happens.

Seems like it is an issue with the programming itself. Pick a good one with progressive overload built in.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I had the same issue .. and in fact am still trying to gain. I talked to my personal trainer .. he said "high calorie dense foods". Like .. peanuts, avocado, add olive oil to your food (just about any oil) .. just Google high calorie foods, there is a huge list. And eat those things .. just do not eat crap .. that will not do you any benefit. Good luck. It is possible to gain .. all about eating more calories than you are burning. Just the opposite of what most people are doing here.

Not sure why anyone would want to eat feces anyway.

You do have a point .. but I think she knows what the idea was ... ;-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I had the same issue .. and in fact am still trying to gain. I talked to my personal trainer .. he said "high calorie dense foods". Like .. peanuts, avocado, add olive oil to your food (just about any oil) .. just Google high calorie foods, there is a huge list. And eat those things .. just do not eat crap .. that will not do you any benefit. Good luck. It is possible to gain .. all about eating more calories than you are burning. Just the opposite of what most people are doing here.

Not sure why anyone would want to eat feces anyway.

You do have a point .. but I think she knows what the idea was ... ;-)

I suppose it comes down to the definition of crap. Feces is pretty much the only definition that has no benefit on a bulk.

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Feces is pretty much the only definition that has no benefit on a bulk.

What if there is still a LOT of peanuts in it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Good point!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

corn.

it's mostly going to have corn in it- and we all know that corn isn't a good bulking food.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Corn and peanuts are kind of the tracer rounds of the GI tract.

We're still on topic right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You're shoulder pressing the same weight you were 10 years ago?

he did not "shock" them enough...
  • nanosuitninja
    nanosuitninja Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Caloric surplus and resistance training, need i say more. Beyond that it is just about finding what works for you, what you enjoy (exercises and diet wise), making small adjustments, and making it happen.
  • PacManBrah
    Options
    I just don't know what exactly i should be coming and exercising. Any information will help. Thanks

Like others have said eating enough is the biggest part of gaining, but its doing it consistently also. Track your calories and accumulate weekly totals at even or in red.
    wJeZaZr.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Corn and peanuts are kind of the tracer rounds of the GI tract.

We're still on topic right?

dear lord that's totally accurate. LMAO
  • natchi42
    natchi42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When i first started out, i found it really difficult to just 'eat more' because my body didn't want to. The simplest thing that got me going were shakes.. homemade.

I had:

1 medium sized Banana
    2/3 Spoons of unsweetend peanut butter
    200ml of rice milk

And that was roughly 450/500 cal, i had those twice a day till my body got used to taking more. I hope this helps! :)