Size 12 = 'x' amount of weight?

Options

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity (I'm a man)...is there a reason that the clothes sizing system for women is this way (meaning arbitrary numbers instead of inches)?

What is it based on?
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Really impossible to tell because there are so many variables at work. Height, body composition, frame size, to name a few. It's wildly different from person to person. For example, I'm only 5' tall; many people my height are at their ideal weight at 100-105 pounds while I wore a size 2 at 125 pounds because of my heavy frame and muscular build. I can't even fathom getting down to the numbers many people my height do, but look the same size at a much heavier weight.

Sizes are based on measurements rather than weight. I found this site which is sort of a fun tool; put in measurements and it will give you your size at a number of major clothing stores. Check to see what a 12 is in that regard and compare it to your current measurements and you can probably get an idea of how far away you are. http://sizes.darkgreener.com/
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I was a 12 somewhere in the 16-165 range, I think. I am 150 right now and am between an 8-10
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and somewhere between a pear and an hourglass figure (usually a 10-11" difference between hips/butt and waist). I wear a 12 in jeans but they are kind of loose. I'm currently 178 pounds. Hope this helps since we don't know your stats :)
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and about to drop into a size 12 and I weigh 188. So it's really hard to say...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If its a UK size 12, I'd say anywhere from 120 - 160 depending on how muscular you are and height. If its a US size, I have no clue.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Won't give you an exact number, but may give you an idea. I used it when I first started to get a general idea of where I want to be :)

http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • Osanyin
    Osanyin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'9 with a muscular build. The scale puts me at 208(ish) and I wear a size 12 dress and size 10-12 jeans. I don't have hips, but I've got thighs that could crack rocks.... =]
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It depends on so much! I'm 5'8" and 196lbs and I currently wear a size 14. I should be in 12 by 180-185. I'm a muscular build, though.

It is a learning process and your goal weight will likely change as you progress, especially if your goal is a size and not necessarily a number. My goal is 175 pounds now, but it might change as my goal is trim, fit and healthy and to fit back into my prepregnancy size 10-12s.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'9 with a muscular build. The scale puts me at 208(ish) and I wear a size 12 dress and size 10-12 jeans. I don't have hips, but I've got thighs that could crack rocks.... =]

You look incredible! Your muscles are great and your body is beautiful. You make 200s look GOOD!!
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your height, how you carry your weight, and how much is fat vs muscle. I'm 177 and an hourglass and firmly in US size 12s now.
  • LaughingThroughTheFat
    Options
    hey guys thank so much for your responses, I didn't think there would be that many in such a short amount of time.
    I'm around 5'5" and have quite wide hips... now you've pointed all the factors it seems really obvious and a silly question! thank you anyway guys! x
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    Depends on your height, frame, shape, how muscular you are...

Also, it's not obvious from your profile where you are from. Different countries have different sizing systems. Eg. a 12 in the US would be bigger than a 12 in the UK.

Exactly, I have been a size 12 from 170-212 lbs but I have more muscle under the fat . the deisgner also is a factor. go by the inches or take pics.

Either way you will know when you reached your goal. GOOD LUCK AND DONT GIVE UP!!!:happy:
  • Osanyin
    Osanyin Posts: 21 Member
    Options

You look incredible! Your muscles are great and your body is beautiful. You make 200s look GOOD!!

This seriously made my day, thank you for saying it. :)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    5'1 175lbs size12p. I have large frame with big upper arms. I have problem buying petite tops since their sleeves are event smaller than regular size.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity (I'm a man)...is there a reason that the clothes sizing system for women is this way (meaning arbitrary numbers instead of inches)?

What is it based on?

gotta love Wikipedia:
    There are several ISO standards related to Size designation of clothes:

ISO 3635:1981 Size designation of clothes -- Definitions and body measurement procedure
    ISO 4416:1981 Size designation of clothes -- Women's and girls' underwear, nightwear, foundation garments and shirts
    ISO 5971:1981 Size designation of clothes -- Pantyhose
    ISO 8559:1989 Garment construction and anthropometric surveys -- Body dimensions
    ISO/TR 10652:1991 Standard sizing systems for clothes
    The European Union has produced a standard EN 13402 intended to replace existing standards in the member countries. This is not yet in common use.

The United Kingdom has an existing standard for women's clothing BS 3666:1982, however this is rarely followed by manufacturers as it defines sizes in terms of hip and bust measurements only within a limited range.[2] This has resulted in variations between manufacturers and a tendency towards vanity sizing.[3]

The standard sizes have not had stable names, however. For example, the dimensions of two size 10 dresses from different companies, or even from the same company, may have grossly different dimensions; and both are almost certainly larger than the size 10 dimensions described in the US standard. Vanity sizing may be partly responsible for this deviation (which began in earnest in the 1980s).

The new European standard EN 13402 seeks to address this problem, since it is an absolute scale and mandatory; there is no mandatory clothing size standard in the U.S. In the US there exists a US standard clothing size.

Summary - i want to win the lottery so i can just go to a designer/tailor who makes clothes by my measurements.. and then sews in the size as "just right".
  • kt1280
    kt1280 Posts: 19
    Options
    5'1 175lbs size12p. I have large frame with big upper arms. I have problem buying petite tops since their sleeves are event smaller than regular size.

And this is where it shows how different things can be. I'm 194, 5'4" and wear a 14, sometimes a 12.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    depends on the person - everyone carries weight differently. I am a size 12 but I am only 5' tall and weigh 179 lbs.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am 189 and can comfortably wear a 14 (I carry the majority of my weight in my belly...grrr). I am figuring that I will be a 12 when I hit the 170's. I am 5'7".
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 160....I wear a 12 in most pants but sometimes a 10...dress size more of a 10.

Some brands vanity size more than others.