quality food with taste

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my wife suggest me to avoid sugar and salt completely for atlest 2 weeks plus no carbs and other junk foods. so i'm having boil vegetables,eggs,beans and chicken but without spices. bc of office sitting job hard to reduce my calories so just control my diet in start . what u guys done in start to reduce 10 to 15 kg weight

I'm a big fan of low carb, low/no sugar eating, and even I had to do a double-take on this.

Even if you go the no-carb route (which is quite a leap for someone not already experienced with low-carb), you don't want to also restrict sodium, or you'll end up deficient, due to the processes that go on when one drops carbs. Even so, though, even the dogmatic "don't even eat organs because they have too many carbs" groups will allow at least some spices. And you really can't also restrict fats, which is what appears to be happening, as well.

Your wife seems to be conflating...well...just about every way of eating that isn't just calorie restriction. As a result, you end up living off boiled chicken breast and egg whites.

If you want to use a way of eating that isn't just calorie reduction for whatever reason, I recommend checking out a proper low-carb (high fat) eating framework. It works well for people who aren't able to get a lot of physical activity in or have other barriers to successful/sustainable weight loss. Check out the Low Carber Daily group if you're interested and need a place to start (the mod team has been working on building a resource library, so there is and will be a bunch of information for beginners).

If you don't like the idea of restricting types of foods, then try simple calorie reduction for a while and see how it works for you. A lot of people do well with what MFP gives them and you never know if you're one of them unless you try it for at least a couple of weeks, ideally a month. If it isn't working for you (not just weight loss or lack thereof, but also for mental wellbeing and your ability to sustain it), then research ways to tweak things or try a different approach. You have to burn more than you consume to lose weight, but counting calories (and only calories) isn't the only way to achieve that goal.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd be lost in life without my seasoning and spices.

Use them on everything, always. They cost basically nothing (well on a calorie scale) :)

Those 60-200 calorie / 31 g sauces add up fast... and they are mostly slop to cover up the taste of good food anyways.
  • FrazierSamuel
    FrazierSamuel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about adding calories, you can get lots of great flavor with lime juice, lemon juice, herbs and spices. Seriously, a squeeze of lemon juice on steamed broccoli makes it a lot more exciting. As someone said above, salt and sugar are fine for you in moderation and yummy fats are an important part of your diet.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    my wife suggest me to avoid sugar and salt completely for atlest 2 weeks plus no carbs and other junk foods. so i'm having boil vegetables,eggs,beans and chicken but without spices. bc of office sitting job hard to reduce my calories so just control my diet in start . what u guys done in start to reduce 10 to 15 kg weight

We eat our food without added salt and sugar. But certainly not without spices and herbs
    We use a lot of them Specially on our meat we use lot of black pepper/curry powder/garlic powder/onion powder, all sorts.
    Also adding herbs to dishes is great and very tasty. Parsley, Cilantro, Thym, Rosemaryn, Ginger, Celery seeds etc.

We love it and use a lot. I do log them because we use them so much sometimes they add up to 50 calories a day. But sure dont want to miss them.

I cut sugar and salt out for health reasons. But when you dont have any medical reason to cut them out you dont have to.
    Just weigh your food and count the calories. Losing weight is all about Calories in vs Calories out.

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    Why can't you use spices? They only add 15 calories or so to meals.

Exactly! (Sheeppotato, I love your user icon) :)

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    how to control diet and emotional stress during diet plans knowing lots of diet foods are not tasty at all..
    Err, don't eat diet foods then? You only need to achieve a deficit, not to eat "diet foods". The quality food I ate for supper yesterday was a 5 Guys Little Cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, grilled mushrooms, grilled onions, green peppers. This morning it was Chobani greek yogurt with mix-ins, a freshly-baked English muffin with butter/olive-oil spread, and soon a coffee! :)

• Onesnap
    Options

We eat our food without added salt and sugar. But certainly not without spices and herbs
    We use a lot of them Specially on our meat we use lot of black pepper/curry powder/garlic powder/onion powder, all sorts.
    Also adding herbs to dishes is great and very tasty. Parsley, Cilantro, Thym, Rosemaryn, Ginger, Celery seeds etc.

We love it and use a lot. I do log them because we use them so much sometimes they add up to 50 calories a day. But sure dont want to miss them.

I cut sugar and salt out for health reasons. But when you dont have any medical reason to cut them out you dont have to.
    Just weigh your food and count the calories. Losing weight is all about Calories in vs Calories out.

Herbs and spices have many health benefits!! Cutting them out of your cooking is not suggested. :)

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't any need to suffer or torture yourself in order to lose weight. If you are tracking in MFP, fill your calories breakdown with any food you wish.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    my wife suggest me to avoid sugar and salt completely for atlest 2 weeks plus no carbs and other junk foods. so i'm having boil vegetables,eggs,beans and chicken but without spices.
    Yikes! No sugar rules out most fruits and vegetables, and I'm not sure where you're finding salt-free chicken breasts (the best from my grocers have 50-75mg of sodium per serving). I couldn't begin to guess how eliminating pepper helps you. It's not sustainable--a yo-yo waiting to happen.

How about countering with following the USDA recommendation of 2400mg of sodium per day? This in itself can be tricky! I missed and hit 2535mg yesterday, which I'm okay with.

The AHA recommends no more than 9tsp of added sugars per day.

And eat as many of the other spices as you like!

(Alternatively, simply eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight more enjoyably like most here.)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think you might have pissed off your wife.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Salt (sodium, to be precise) is necessary for basic cell functions. It's true that most people get too much of it and that can cause lots of other problems, but you can't live completely without it either.

Spices aren't going to ruin your weight loss, they will help you. If all your food is gross/bad/boring, you probably aren't going to stick with it. Also, there are many other great sources of protein besides chicken: lean fish, lean red meat, other seafood, tofu and soy products, beans etc. Chicken is great (with seasoning) but doesn't need to be the center of every meal of your life. That gets boring really quick.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I think you might have pissed off your wife.

THIS

• BWBTrish
    Options
    [/quote]

Herbs and spices have many health benefits!! Cutting them out of your cooking is not suggested. :)

[/quote]

Indeed besides the fact we love spices and all the different tastes you can make with them, there is the health benefit of them.
    And some herbs have even a salty taste/flavor like Lavas. Very yummie and used in soups and rice dishes.
  • BWBTrish
    edited January 2015
    Options
    my wife suggest me to avoid sugar and salt completely for atlest 2 weeks plus no carbs and other junk foods. so i'm having boil vegetables,eggs,beans and chicken but without spices.
    Yikes! No sugar rules out most fruits and vegetables, and I'm not sure where you're finding salt-free chicken breasts (the best from my grocers have 50-75mg of sodium per serving). I couldn't begin to guess how eliminating pepper help you. It's not sustainable--a yo-yo waiting to happen.

How about countering with following the USDA recommendation of 2400mg of sodium per day? This in itself can be tricky! I missed and hit 2535mg yesterday, which I'm okay with.

The AHA recommendation on added sugars is no more than 9 tsp per day.

This depends Does OP means added sugar or not sugar at all?
    We eat no added sugar, which means i eat as much fruit as i want :) But like yogurt and oats, coffee etc i dont use sugar in it. So big difference there. BTW same for salt. We dont add salt to our food. But like Cod which we eat regular is a high salt fish, but we love it and eat it. I just dont spice it with extra salt. But make a nice lemon/mustard cod dish. Some spices and herbs on it too. Yummie very tasty

• Onesnap
    Options
    To give the OP more info on how I mentioned spices have health benefits...here's some examples from Fitness magazine:

1. Curry: contains curcumin, a powerful anti-inflammatory "that's 50 times more potent than vitamin C or E"
    2. Oregano: "One teaspoon contains not only six micrograms of bone-building vitamin K but also the same amount of antioxidants as three cups of spinach."
    3. Cinnamon: "A seesawing blood sugar level can drive hunger and cravings; the antioxidant compounds in cinnamon help prevent those spikes and dips by improving the way your cells metabolize glucose."
    4. Ginger: "Besides helping to settle an upset stomach, this peppery spice can also lessen workout-induced soreness."
    5. Nutmeg: "Despite having a hint of sweetness, this spice may help prevent cavities."
    6. Cumin: "One tablespoon of these aromatic seeds fulfills 22 percent of your daily requirement for iron, a mineral that helps keep your energy level high and your immune system in flu-fighting shape."
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Oh, no! I'd be so sad if I had to eat boiled chicken and vegetables with NO flavor! It sounds like your wife has the very best intentions for you. It does seem, however, that the "plain/bland/boiled" diet myth and "carbs are evil" belief crosses all cultures.

Cut back on sweets and junk and too many extra servings of rice and such? Sure, that's a good plan. But completely denying yourself everything is not necessary. Just eat smaller amounts of the rich foods and desserts.
  • Onesnap
    Options

This depends Does OP means added sugar or not sugar at all?
    We eat no added sugar, which means i eat as much fruit as i want :) But like yogurt and oats, coffee etc i dont use sugar in it. So big difference there. BTW same for salt. We dont add salt to our food. But like Cod which we eat regular is a high salt fish, but we love it and eat it. I just dont spice it with extra salt. But make a nice lemon/mustard cod dish. Some spices and herbs on it too. Yummie very tasty

I learned today about how Cod is really...in trouble to say the least. :(

Cod fishing here in New England is 100% shut down at this point. :(

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Your wife has good suggestions for no foods with ADDED sugar/salt, that is much healthier, ie cutting out processed foods (check the labels). But no spices?? many are beneficial and help the metabolism, as well as make the food palatable.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Being a former chef i can tell you that cooking without salt or sugar doesn't have to be bland or boring at all. Use your imagination and be adventurous. There is a lot to win with using spices and herbs

Also i dont see my eating healthy as a diet. Its a life style and i can eat everything i want. Only in my calorie allowance.
    My sugar level and blood pressure was ( yes i say WAS :) ) to high so that is why i dont add it to my food anymore. Together with my healthy food choices and my deficit it made me lose 54 pounds.
    But it sure dont mean that i wont have pizza or like New years a couple of glasses champagne.
    Only moderation is the big secret in your healthy ( weight loss) life style.

When you are on a diet and you go back in some months or year to your "normal" eating, you will gain weight again.

Start logging your food, weigh everything and get used to being aware how much you eat and nutrition you get :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Being a former chef i can tell you that cooking without salt or sugar doesn't have to be bland or boring at all. Use your imagination and be adventurous. There is a lot to win with using spices and herbs

Also i dont see my eating healthy as a diet. Its a life style and i can eat everything i want. Only in my calorie allowance.
    My sugar level and blood pressure was ( yes i say WAS :) ) to high so that is why i dont add it to my food anymore. Together with my healthy food choices and my deficit it made me lose 54 pounds.
    But it sure dont mean that i wont have pizza or like New years a couple of glasses champagne.
    Only moderation is the big secret in your healthy ( weight loss) life style.

When you are on a diet and you go back in some months or year to your "normal" eating, you will gain weight again.

Start logging your food, weigh everything and get used to being aware how much you eat and nutrition you get :)

Great response! :D

I also just read this on Huff Post: "All the scientific research shows that no matter what size you are, diets make you hungry and create powerful cravings for the very things you're trying to avoid. As well as these cravings, dieters feel deprived.

When we deprive ourselves of food - and many diets are nothing more than temporary starvation - our brains crave nice things to eat. Research at Imperial College London proves that people on diets find it harder to control and resist the temptation of food."