How does anyone get motivated to go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I put it in my calendar and go. *shrugs* Mood is for cattle and making love...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I just do it.
  • BrandoniEstrada
    Options
    Once it becomes a habit then it becomes easy to keep on going to the gym. Getting started is the hard part for sure. It helps a lot if you have someone you know to go with you to keep you motivated so you don't skip out when you're tired.
    Other than that, just realize that it's not always about looking better but to start living healthier. The feeling when you start to notice progress is amazing.
    Also regarding the work situation. Go before work if possible. Just make sure you sleep early. If you really want it then you will prioritize and manage your time for the things you that matter to you the most!
    Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make myself do it, it's that or being hungry or getting fat, so it's the least unpleasant option really.
  • busylady48
    busylady48 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am and have my lunch and everything packed in my car and hit the gym by 5am. It gives me energy for the day and It goes by really fast. I use a personal trainer in a group setting which holds me accountable.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Even thought there are some days that I don't want to go, I almost always feel better after I go. I usually talk myself into going and doing 20 minutes on the bike and some strength machines. Next thing I know, I have completed 40 minutes of cardio and twice as many strength exercises that I had planned!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Pack a gym bag and take it to work with you, then head to the gym ASAP. Don't go home! Sometimes it's not about motivation, it's just about getting yourself into the habit. Or even just making that decision and sticking to it. Tell yourself, "We're going to the gym today" and don't let yourself back out of that decision. You'll feel better for it.

ALSO! Always go to the gym with a plan. Don't show up and wander aimlessly, because then it is kind of a waste of time and you won't feel like you've accomplished anything.
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Two words... Eye candy.

Kidding. I use others as examples and motivation. What are they doing that I'm not? Can I push harder? Do I want to quit this exercise after just one set with all these people around?

I work out in the evening as well due to my work schedule and I understand that it sometimes takes some psyching out... but I've rarely actually made the effort to work out where I regretted it later.

And also Eye Candy. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like the idea of exercising at home or outdoors instead, but that's because for me the idea of going to a gym fills me with dread from the social anxiety of it. I can work with the public and give speeches but the very idea of having to interact (in ANY small way) with new people while also exercising just blows my mind. No thanks.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I love the gym but I love group exercise like zumba
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning. Pack my bag to go to the gym after work. Sometimes I don't go. But more often than not, I do. When its warm, I love going. Its the cold months that are hard. Get some good music or a good book for during your workouts, and just do it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym a while ago when I was at college and didn't have a job. I lost 4 stone but I gained most of it back again after starting work, and becoming lazy and eating junk. I am now rethinking my life.. I am at university, I work as a housekeeper (not hardcore enough to lose weight) and I am thinking of rejoining the gym. But the thought of going to the gym after working fills me with dread! How does anyone get that get up and go after work? I am shattered after working, that's my issue!

Oh my goodness, I LOVE going to the gym. I was getting up at five and going about 5:30 before work, but I found myself having to wait for the squat machines. So, on M, W, F I get up at 4 a.m. and go to the gym to weight lift and do some cardio, and I'm back home by 6:00 a.m. to get ready for work at 8:30.

On Tuesday and Thursday, I run, so that is whenever--sometimes Tuesday morning, or after work, and then always Thursday morning.

You just have to decide what you want and then find a way to get it done! :)
  • jenmar17
    jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Think of it like taking a shower, something that just has to get done. You could elect not to shower, but even though it takes time and energy, you choose to prioritize it because you know the benefits. Think about going to the gym the same way.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's been said already, but find something you actually enjoy doing. I "get through" a 5km jog / 10km cycle, knowing that I'll be warmed up enough by the end to go beat the crap out of the punchbag for 5 minutes. I LOVE boxing and weights, but I only let myself do either once I've done the slightly more boring parts (I can't afford boxing classes right now, otherwise I'd quit the gym and do a boxing class 3 times a week instead).

Also, that post-workout feeling is worth any amount of temporary boredom.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Like many others have recommended: If you dread going after work, get up earlier and go before work.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I HATE the gym with a passion and I'll make any excuse in the book not to go, but I've now learnt that if I pack my gym bag the night before and lay out my gym clothes so it's the first thing I see when my alarm goes off at 6 then I'm more inclined to go. I HAVE to go first thing though or I never will. On the days I really can't face it though (weekends usually!) or have a really important uni assignment in then I've got some 10 minute section Pilates DVDs that I LOVE so I'll do those. I also horse ride 3-4 days a week. I try to get to the gym 3-4 days a week to get in a short cardio session and some weights. I've got a friend who's just signed up though so I'm hoping that will motivate me more, I think my hatred of it is just because I get bored on my own and I'm really shy in the classes so avoid those too.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just start going and before you know it, you'll either WANT to go, or you'll just go because it's a habit and makes you feel good :D
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to go to the gym a while ago when I was at college and didn't have a job. I lost 4 stone but I gained most of it back again after starting work, and becoming lazy and eating junk. I am now rethinking my life.. I am at university, I work as a housekeeper (not hardcore enough to lose weight) and I am thinking of rejoining the gym. But the thought of going to the gym after working fills me with dread! How does anyone get that get up and go after work? I am shattered after working, that's my issue!
    Do you even lift, bro? :wink:
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have to force myself to go. Seriously, I argue with myself and have to say "stop making excuses!" Once I get there, I'm fine, and I always, always feel so great after I go. I try to remember that feeling, and that also helps motivate me.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just remind myself how much better I will feel after a good workout. Endorphins? :)

Find something you like to do there, too. I hate the treadmill, but love the Woodway Curve. Don't like the rower, but like the bike. Try everything, and not just once, but give things a fair shot. My hubby thought the curve was a joke at first, until he tried it a second time, and realized it's an insane workout. He burns 700 calories in 30 minutes of sprints, and comes off completely and totally drenched in sweat, with a soaked through towel and a shirt that sprays if he pats it :p

1209329.png