How does anyone get motivated to go to the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Treat your gym time like an appointment. Say you are going at 6am or 6pm (or whatever) and then keep that appointment. You wouldn't be late to a doctor or dentist appointment or any other type of appointment that was important, and I've found that mentality works well for me for exercise as well.
    Literally book it into your day!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    For me, it does not take motivation to go ... I like to go. Such is not the case for many. We are all different in this regard.

1. If the gym is not your thing, don't force it. Really. I mean try it but if it does not grow on you, don't sweat it. Find other activities that you ENJOY doing that will meet your goal... Running, Walking, Dance class, Tennis, or whatever. Strength training can be done with body weight exercises like push ups, crunches, planks, sit ups, pull ups, etc. Anything (with practical application) has a real life activity that it replicates. Do what you will look forward to doing... and if it is NOT the GYM then find what that thing is. It is easier to be consistent when you find your passion.

2. The gym has a lot of options. Many times you just have to do it (as others have said). you will not know for sure that you don't like it until you try it for a few months and become consistent. That first couple of weeks will not feel good... But do it anyway. If after 6 months or so it is still drudgery?... then refer to #1 above.

3. I know the feeling of being tired after work. For me resting for a little bit then going in works well (We live 20mi/32km from our gym which is the biggest hindrance to consistency) since we live across the street from my work. Otherwise, I would likely go to work out before going home; you just have to do what works best for you. Research does show, however, that many times exercise is one of the best things to do when you are tired. I believe that many times, an object that is in motion tends to stay in motion and an object that is at rest tends to stay at rest applies to biology as well as physics. You will find by becoming more active, you may well become less tired all the time.
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    Options
    Have you ever considered doing your workout at home?

Gyms are too time-consuming to fit into my daily routine, and there are so many distractions...

You don't need to clutter your house with fancy machines. All you need is e.g. a skipping rope for your cardio, and your body weight for resistance training
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Go in the morning.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I second the others that say don't go home. That's the killer for me. If my body touches a couch, it shuts down.

15 minutes before the work day is over, I shut my office door and change into workout clothes and go straight to the gym. Even if I'm going home to workout (like running outside), I still don't actually entire the apartment. It cuts down so much time.

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I take a natural pre-workout. It's the ONLY thing that gives me pep to go! I find if I'm tired and I just take it, I'll be more motivated in 15 minutes to go. I take Amino Energy.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about habit. I can't imagine not filling my normal gym days with a workout. And if you can't find the motivation to go, just go. You're always thankful you did afterwards.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is why I have a home gym...my social fears, small children that won't tolerate being babysat by strangers, and time limitations, a home gym is perfect. I have a power rack with weights in the garage plus a trampoline, kettle bell, and a heavy bag.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy the gym what exercise do you enjoy? If you like team sports find a local team and join up - you'll want to go as you'll enjoy the exercise, the social side and also won't want to let your team mates down. You may find then that you want to go to the gym to improve your fitness for your chosen sport.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm never motivated to go to the gym. I'm always motivated at the gym.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, too. Right now I keep reminding myself that I paid for the membership and the only way to get my money's worth is to go. But I've discovered that I just don't like the gym. I'm going to have to find something that I like by the time my membership runs out (April 28) because I have no intention of renewing it.