Hello! what can I do for a work out when you are way overweight and soooooooo out of shape?

Options
What is a good beginners work out? When u are overweight and completely out of of shape?

Replies

• the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Walking is always good. Low impact, and you can turn around whenever you start to feel tired.

I also started doing kettlebells, which are great because there are free videos online (I use this one with like...5 and 10 lb kettlebells). You don't have to leave your house, it doesn't involve a lot of jumping or anything, it's only 10 minutes. And I'm not gonna lie, I felt it immediately after doing the workout.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Walking and the nerdfitness bodyweight routine
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

THIS
  • mgdnutty
    mgdnutty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    powerbands are low impact and inexpensive
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I would give walking a try for a few weeks and gradually increase your distance as you lose weight and your fitness level improves. Also, some type of strength training program along with walking will help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This!

If you are completely out of shape, I would probably start with walking 15-20 minutes 3 times a week. Then I'd add 5 minutes each week. After a few weeks (probably 2-3 but you'll know it when you feel a bit looser and not so blah) I'd add in the nerd fitness beginner bodyweight routine. That's pretty much what I did last year and that combo was a great beginning point.

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great starting point. I think the most important aspect is to establish a routine. Make a commitment to be consistent with walking for 6 weeks. Once you establish the routine of exercising adding to that routine isn't all that difficult. Add more distance or start adding basic body weight exercises. Small steps. Eventually you can fine tune your routine depending on your goals.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving. Started my fitness education with Gilead's tv workouts, graduated to YWCA, then a small gym. Went onto fancy gym and now I exercise at home. Just move with full effort. You'll probably get hooked and never look back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Yep this. Walking doesn't really take any instruction and to make it more intense, you either walk faster or walk at an incline or uphill. All of my obese clients start with walking for cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Don't discount it because it's 'easy'. I started out walking and it really did wonders for me.

Swimming is also great low impact exercise. I prefer deep water workout classes to lap swimming, plus the exercise is varied.

And nerdfitness definitely has some good starter weight workouts.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ditto the walking! I lost most of my weight walking! Over time, I added in hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, did some running until an injury, and some body weight exercises. Walking is very low impact, and everyone can do it! Start out slow and increase time and distance when you feel ready!
  • scupit
    scupit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming, or even the elliptical.
  • cjpreadle
    Options
    What exercises can one do to eliminate saddlebags and loose inner thighs?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    many of the above thing but also, when you shop, park in the farthest parking spot. Instead of elevator, take stairs. Always look for a way to challenge yourself. All these things count
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    cjpreadle wrote: »
    What exercises can one do to eliminate saddlebags and loose inner thighs?

Spot reduction doesn't happen
    Squats, deadlifts, lunges will help
  • JenPc1978
    Options
    Awesome thank you for all the advice!!!! :-) by the way what is nerd fitness lol?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    JenPc1978 wrote: »
    Awesome thank you for all the advice!!!! :-) by the way what is nerd fitness lol?
    It's a fitness website. All sorts of free workouts/articles/etc in the resource section of the site.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/

"The overarching theme of Nerd Fitness is to “level up your life, every single day.” Focus on getting stronger, getting faster, having fun, and eating right…and your appearance will start to change as a result of that." - from the About section on nerdfitness
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising, I walked on the treadmill for 5 minutes (at maybe 2 mph).
    Felt like such a loser, but I went back & did it again the next day.
    And the next.
    The next week I started adding a minute at a time.
    When that got to be easy & I was doing 30 min, I moved to the elliptical.
    That kicked my butt... back to 5 minutes.
    When I got up to an hour on the elliptical, I went back to the treadmill, but now I'm doing variable hills for up to 90 min at 3mph.
    The elliptical burns more calories, the hills are more like real life, seem to work my legs better.
    I've also tried jogging a bit.

The point being, start where you are, with what you can do now, and gradually - SLOWLY - work up to doing more.
    If all you can do now is walk to the end of the driveway and back, do that.
    Do it again in an hour. And again. Same thing tomorrow. And the next day.
    Then next week, do it twice.
    Then walk to the neighbor's driveway and back. Then the next neighbor.
    Eventually you'll go around the block.
    Then there's no stopping you. :smiley:

51637601.png
  • JenPc1978
    Options
    Ahh okay thank you everyone so much!! :-)