Fat-free Greek Yogurt is an abomination

Options

Replies

• marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    chobani & fage, as others have stated.....i prefer chobani but i think it is because i am used to it. i tried fage recently, it's pretty much just as good. maybe better. i have to give it a few more tries

as for flavored, chobani are my favs, and trader joes blueberry & vanilla bean flavors are both quite tasty

i see some people like oiks, but i honestly don't know why. i have only tried 3 different flavors, but they all tasted like a chemical spill
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit - Greek Nonfat Yogart, Vanilla, 1 cup 130 cals.
    Taste great plain but i usually mix in frozen blueberries & maybe some PB or vanilla whey depending on my macs by the evening.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    but its so good spec wise. hey, once I'm in maintenance, I'll be eating low or even full fat...but its better than many alternatives. I keep telling myself food is fuel. plus, its much tastier to me than cottage cheese, which I've also learned to accept due to its high nutritional content. can't do unflavored BCAA powder though...blech. nonfat yogurt has like 20g protein for 100 calories - that's insanely good. I just put a few raspberries on top and its good. (frozen berries nuked for 20 sec are much better than any jam or sugar-free options).
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Safeway's Lucerne brand of fat free Greek yogurt is pretty good. Get the plain stuff and just squirt in some Mio or other similar drink flavoring. Tastes just like fruit flavored yogurt.

The Kroger brand of fat free Greek yogurt is pretty nice too. Theirs is vanilla flavored and sweetened with stevia though, but still awesome.

I believe they both have 19 grams of protein per cup.

Yoplait has a 100 calorie Greek yogurt too. Tastes pretty good, but carbs a lot higher than the others I mentioned.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I happen to like the Yoplait plain. More for the protein than for the taste itself. I did try Chobani strawberry and it tasted like candy to me. Too sweet!
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    the plain greek yogurt i think is nasty but if you add fruit in it. its good i like the dannon light and fit greek yogurt
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    "Fat-free Greek Yogurt is an abomination"

Oh thank you! I thought it was just me! HATE HATE HATE the stuff! But I do use it in baking.
  • pattyci
    pattyci Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    HI!
    Try Chobani, Oika and/or Dannon. I guess my favorites are Chobani and the Oika.
    Are you getting the plain yogurt or the kind with fruit?
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I love the Chobani ones. The Coconut Flips with dark chocolate and almonds is probably my favorite snack. The majority of the chobani ones are fat free and are pretty good (the flips aren't though, and neither is pineapple which is by far my favorite).
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I like Fage's 2% the best.
  • DIG_
    DIG_ Posts: 20
    Options
    Chobani!

plain... taste a bit sour but if you add some protien powder (chocolate) maybe some almonds, blueberries and raspberries... it becomes a treat!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love dannon light n fit 2x protien greek yogurt :) 80 cals and its yummy!
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I eat the Yoplait Greek Yogurt. It's fat free and is only 100 calories per cup for 10g protein. They have several different fruit flavored ones. I really like them. It's a good low calorie (and yummy) snack to help me get my protein.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I tried Oikos non-fat and did not like the texture - I found it kind of chalky. I have also found that "chalky" texture with non-fat regular yogurt and non fat "sour cream" - and no amount of adding fruit, sugar honey nuts etc. seems to help. I compromise by buying reduced fat versions of these products (not full fat) and I find they are okay texture wise for me. My husband can't tell the difference in texture, so I think this must be an individual taste thing.....
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Dannon makes a full fat Greek yogurt-it's called Oikos and is made with whole milk. I buy it plain and then add honey and sliced banana to it-very filling and it tastes great :)
    Their one WITH fat has a red line around the top of the label, at least in the flavored varieties. They make them with fat and without. They seem to be making more flavors of the "traditional style" (with fat) as well, if you go for that. Strawberry, raspberry, key lime, cafe latte, banana cream, orange cream, toasted coconut vanilla... I think they have one with honey as well.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

The Kroger brand of fat free Greek yogurt is pretty nice too. Theirs is vanilla flavored and sweetened with stevia though, but still awesome.

*shudder* Sorry, but this is the brand that made me choke. But thanks for the other suggestions.

However, I feel that some folks are trying to get me to eat fat-free greek yogurt. I'm really not interested in fat-free yogurt. I really don't need to be convinced to eat it - just need names and places of brands that sell full-fat versions (and some of you have, thanks!). Sadly, the Kroger I shop at does not have the full-fat version of their yogurt. At my Kroger, there is only ONE full-fat version of Greek yogurt, and that's The Greek Gods.

I should have been more clear about this in the beginning, that's my fault.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I rather like the Dannon Oikos vanilla with a little PB2. It's pretty creamy. I do wish I could find full fat yogurt, though. Why I'd want the fat taken out is beyond me.

[edit] I'm not trying to convince you to eat fat-free or reduced fat. That's just my solution to the world condemning fat as the devil.

[edit 2] I also realize that PB2 has the fat and oil removed. I only use it for smoothies and yogurt for a little extra protein and some tasty peanut butter taste without a ton of calories added.
  • jwool40
    jwool40 Posts: 26
    Options
    I may be a bit biased here because my husband works for Chobani and we get alot of free yogurt, but I have tried others and just always go back to Chobani, my favorite it the Blood Orange!!!! AMAZING!!!!
  • deverdad
    deverdad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat the stonyfield organic plain fat free greek yogurt and add blueberries, strawberries, chopped walnuts and honey....DELISH!!! Almost a dessert!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    http://www.stonyfield.com/products/frozen/greek-frozen-yogurt/nonfat/chocolate

This stuff has saved my sanity. I have to drive 45+ minutes into the city to the only store that carries it, so I buy every single pint in their freezer whenever I get it!

It's the only Greek yogurt that I can stand, and the only nonfat chocolate anything that doesn't taste like chemicals to me.

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

I even wrote to the manufacturer about having cases shipped to me. They said they can't do that, but mailed me coupons for when I have to go into town for it.