Fat-free Greek Yogurt is an abomination

Options

Replies

• gracekelli
    gracekelli Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It is seriously disgusting plain...that said you could add fruit, or one of the girls at work told me to use the Crystal Light drops that you add to water for flavor. I haven't tried that yet but I plan too because the greek yogurts with fruit have too much sugar!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    ...with apologies to those who like it...but I just can't stand it, it tastes like chalk. Are there any other brands of full-fat Greek yogurt besides The Greek Gods? I can't seem to find any others.

There are, but I still prefer Greek Gods. Recently tried the Dannon - didn't like the consistiency (Greek Gods is thicker), and Trader Joe's - again, a consistency thing. Better than the Dannon, but watery. But I'll keep an eye out for the other brands mentioned here.

When in a pinch and can't find Greek Gods or the store is out, I get plain, full fat regular yogurt and strain it myself (2 coffee filters lined in a collander/strainer, drain over a bowl overnight). Only problem is not knowing how to track it then, lol. And, you'd be surprised at how much liquid comes out of it!!

And, I add some cinnamon and fruit to mine. :) My 1 year old nephew, a yogurt-fiend, even ate it plain!! He knows what the good stuff is. :)
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My store sells Cabot full-fat (10%!) vanilla bean yogurt in quart size tub, no individual cups. Seriously, the most amazing yogurt I have ever tasted. And now I cannot buy it anymore because it has as much calories as ice cream and I could eat the entire tub at once :-(
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I make yogurt from skim milk and eat daily with fresh fruit, cinnamon, walnuts and flax seed meal. I've made greek yogurt but much prefer the regular, and my homemade is tastier than anything I've bought in stores. It is fairly simple to do and I've made a batch or two a week for many years. My favorite yogurt to use as a base culture is produced by Seven Star Farms.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I will have to agree with most Fage non-fat is pretty good. it's low in sugar and high in protein. Costco has a 32 oz for $4.99 or you can find it at most retail stores.
    i like to add natural PB and banana to mine for breakfast or a pre/post workout
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I mostly use plain Greek yogurt as a smoothie base. I love regular flavoured yogurt, but I'm always way under on protein so I've been switching things up to get my protein higher... but plain Greek yogurt I cannot eat on it's own. I put strawberries and blueberries in mine, and mix in a little honey to sweeten it, and it's pretty good that way.
  • katgirl007
    katgirl007 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love mixing into the plain yogurt a few Tbs of pineapple tidbits (canned in it's own juice), add a few cut up bananas, strawberries or whatever fresh fruit has a great flavor pop and is in season. It still has sugar but a ton less than flavored yogurt. The flavored yogurts now tastes too sweet, so I don't want it at all any more. Kind of sad.

I do a 2% or whole fat plain (Greek or regular) yogurt. I was all excited about Greek yogurt until I noticed my regular yogurt has as much if not more protein than the Greek. I didn't see the point in spending the money after that, the flavor is fine with both.

Personally, I don't go 0% fat, the fat helps tell your body when you're full so I feel satiated much faster and longer with the higher fat yogurts. My blood work (LDL, HDL) is awesome, I just had it all checked today, so fat isn't the evil we used to think it was. But you have to do what works for you! :)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

The Kroger brand of fat free Greek yogurt is pretty nice too. Theirs is vanilla flavored and sweetened with stevia though, but still awesome.

*shudder* Sorry, but this is the brand that made me choke. But thanks for the other suggestions.

However, I feel that some folks are trying to get me to eat fat-free greek yogurt. I'm really not interested in fat-free yogurt. I really don't need to be convinced to eat it - just need names and places of brands that sell full-fat versions (and some of you have, thanks!). Sadly, the Kroger I shop at does not have the full-fat version of their yogurt. At my Kroger, there is only ONE full-fat version of Greek yogurt, and that's The Greek Gods.

I should have been more clear about this in the beginning, that's my fault.
    Check the Dannon Oikos ones there. The Kroger stores around here carry at least a FEW of the "traditional style" flavors. You have to look for the red band around the top of the container, that's the easiest way to spot the ones with fat as opposed to the fat free versions. Most have at least one or two flavors of the Chobani 2% as well.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options

I do a 2% or whole fat plain (Greek or regular) yogurt. I was all excited about Greek yogurt until I noticed my regular yogurt has as much if not more protein than the Greek. I didn't see the point in spending the money after that, the flavor is fine with both.

What brand of regular yogurt do you buy? I prefer the regular texture to the Greek, but haven't found one with nearly enough protein. Thanks for sharing!
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up on Fat free greek--- blech. It may only be in Canada, but the Astro brand full fat greek is to DIE for. Whopping 10%. SOOOO creamy and good! It's 200 calories for 1/2 a cup though, so I save it for days that I'm using up cals at the end of the night. If I need to lighten it, I'll mix a couple tablespoons with most of a serving of Oikos plain 2%, ( or even fat free) and it will maintain the thicker goodness, for the most part. I love the Astro Honey , but hate other brand honey flavors. I don't buy sweetened yogurt-- if I need to add something, I'll throw in a teaspoon of honey myself. ( that said, the Oikos Key Lime is REALLLY good. )

Best way to eat it though? Tiny bit of honey, topped with a few chopped almonds and one chopped square of dark chocolate. I will *actually* lick the bowl.

Oh, and the Liberte brand has the Mediteranee yogurt too-- 7%. Also yummy, but not enough to bump my Astro.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I can't even find greek yogurt that isn't labeled non-fat or fat free in my grocer. What brands should I look for??
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Fage full fat is even more delicious than Greek Gods! (But every full fat yogurt I've ever had was delicious.) Fage 2% is delicious too. I don't think I've tried their nonfat - just not interested in nonfat dairy.

P.S. I only eat it plain, so I can't speak for the sweetened varieties.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Fage!!

It's so hard to find the 2% or full fat places tho :(
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Fage full fat is even more delicious than Greek Gods! (But every full fat yogurt I've ever had was delicious.) Fage 2% is delicious too. I don't think I've tried their nonfat - just not interested in nonfat dairy.

P.S. I only eat it plain, so I can't speak for the sweetened varieties.

Hmmmmm...I'll have to find it and try it then. Don't get me wrong, I still love Greek Gods, but I want to find other options.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    1/2 container Trader Joe's Vanilla Bean flavored fat-free Greek yogurt.
    1/4 C sliced strawberries
    1/8 C Kind Blueberry Flax granola
    1 T ground flax seed

Nom nom nom nom.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For breakfast today, I had apple, banana and pineapple covered in fat free Greek yoghurt with honey drizzled on top. Great way to start the day. Yum Yum!!!!

Can eat it 'raw' if I have to but soooo much nicer with bits added!!
  • schivis
    schivis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I mix the fat free fage with my favorite Crystal light packet...acutally i use the walmart great value brand Cherry Limeade drink mix. It's a yummy treat!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Fage has a full fat option

Really? Where can I find it? The places I've looked have Fage, but it's all 0 or 2% fat or something.

The 4% is the full fat.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Love Dannon Light & Fit, but there is a lot of sugars. Trader Joe's is also good, especially mango, but again, the darn sugar. Yoplait 100 Vanilla is good, but sadly one of the first ingredients is corn starch.

Best bet in my experience is to get the plain flavor, most limited ingredients and puree it with fresh fruit.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Have to say I do like the fat free on its own.
    However, I quite often do myself an evening treat with 100g fat free yogurt, 30g blueberries (warmed in the microwave), and half a pot of Hartleys low calorie jelly. If I'm feeling totally decadent I crumble on a mini meringue (15 cal)
    It's like an Eton mess and totally delicious.