Potatoes might not be so bad!

Options
gle8442
gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
As someone who loves potatoes, this made me happy.

grubstreet.com/2014/12/potatoes-obesity.html

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LOL - potatoes were never bad. Overeating = weight gain. Not eating potatoes. You can eat potatoes, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight; on the flip side, you can eat zero potatoes, overeat,and gain weight.

Food is not inherently bad or good, it is just something that your body uses for energy. < wrap your brain around that concept and you will have long term success achieving your goals.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LOL - potatoes were never bad. Overeating = weight gain. Not eating potatoes. You can eat potatoes, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight; on the flip side, you can eat zero potatoes, overeat,and gain weight.

Food is not inherently bad or good, it is just something that your body uses for energy. < wrap your brain around that concept and you will have long term success achieving your goals.

Uh, that's only true if you believe that the ONLY point of food is weight loss. I can maintain my weight on 2,000 calories of chocolate a day or on 2,000 calories of fresh fruits and veggies... but in the first case I am going to end up severely micronutrient deficient and in the second I am going to be doing well. People tend to think potatoes don't do much for you in that department, but the study found that they helped people improve their cholesterol and lowered inflammation - those are important no matter what weight you are at!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    gle8442 wrote: »

Uh, that's only true if you believe that the ONLY point of food is weight loss. I can maintain my weight on 2,000 calories of chocolate a day or on 2,000 calories of fresh fruits and veggies... but in the first case I am going to end up severely micronutrient deficient and in the second I am going to be doing well. People tend to think potatoes don't do much for you in that department, but the study found that they helped people improve their cholesterol and lowered inflammation - those are important no matter what weight you are at!

when did I say that you have to eat 2000 calories of chocolate? Why is the fall back to always create a straw man and say well "yea, I could eat 2000 calories of chocolate but why do that?" That is a false choice.

My point was, and is, that you can eat a diet of potatoes, chocolate, steak, ice cream, etc and hit your macros and micros and other goals.

I get 400 calories a day from ice cream and cookies and fit that into my macros and micros is that unhealthy?

Also, your OP never mentioned anything about micros or macros you just said "breaking news potatoes are not bad" …yea, we have known that..for thousands of years, but thanks for being late to the party ...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware potatoes were bad for you... I mean... shouldn't that have come with a surgeon general's warning or something?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    When were potatoes bad? :open_mouth: I love me some papas!! :blush:
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are delicious and filling. I eat mine with mustard.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    roasted potatoes with rosemary, garlic, onion, and olive oil = da bomb yo!
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Potatoes with cheese & bacon. Carbs, Fat & Protein!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Come on you guys. You're missing the best part of the research.........."Researchers say the potato compound may be used to help prevent obesity and type 2 diabetes"

lol …I read like the first sentence of the article and when they said that "researches have found that potatoes may not be that bad for you and can actually help you lose weight…"> paraphrasing..I stopped reading…

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Given my Irish heritage, I find offence in the fact that anyone could ever find fault in potatoes.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Coming to MFP in 2015.... the all potato diet. ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Given my Irish heritage, I find offence in the fact that anyone could ever find fault in potatoes.

wan't that whole war in ireland about the potatoes vs the low carbers?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never thought potatoes were bad for you. I do believe some varieties are more nutritious than others, and some are tastier than others, and of course, slathering on the sour cream, cheese and bacon changes things a bit... those additions might be great for some, and not so great for others.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Potatoes are delicious and filling. I eat mine with mustard.
    this except with ketchup.

• missiontofitness
    Options

Yes; it was the Potato War of Independence.
    It was for life, liberty, and the pursuit of mashed potatoes.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Best potatoes hands down are the potatoes in boiled dinner.

Second place is mashed potatoes with a little skim milk, a little butter, and about two tablespoons of cream cheese and chive, with salt and pepper. I use them as a side dish, and for my "rogue" Shepherd's Pie.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

Yes; it was the Potato War of Independence.
    It was for life, liberty, and the pursuit of mashed potatoes.
    Sounds like a worthy cause.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    I'm in for colcannon!