Smoothie Diet

Options

Replies

• Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Options
    I love smoothies! But I don 't ever use them exclusively. They are listed as a category on my food diary. Lunch, dinner, smoothies , snacks. The only reason I don't list breakfast is because of my schedule, not because I don't believe in breakfast. lol
    You are welcome to look at my diary for my smoothies, but be warned that I usually just use half greens (like baby spinach) and then fruits and veggies to taste. To shake it up I add in other things that sound good and add nutrients. (Like chia seeds.) I have a nutribullet because I like the consistency it gives. I don't drink my smoothie all at once, I use it throughout the day. It's an awesome way to add in fruits and veggies! :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by everyone's reactions to smoothies. From the information I looked up I honestly thought a smoothie could be equivalent to meal if you made it the right way. Guess I have a lot to learn.

I think probably the reaction is more to just eating smoothies, than eating smoothies as part of your day. I am sure a smoothie could be equivalent to a meal, but personally, when I have a meal, I want to chew it. :) I want to sit down with it and enjoy a variety of textures and tastes on my plate. That's not everybody; it's just me.

A "smoothie diet" is really just restricting calories and causing a deficit, which you can do with non-liquid foods too. I think that's what makes people go, "I couldn't do that!" (Or "I wouldn't want to do that.")

But there's nothing wrong with smoothies per se. Yum!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by everyone's reactions to smoothies. From the information I looked up I honestly thought a smoothie could be equivalent to meal if you made it the right way. Guess I have a lot to learn.

don't believe everything you read on the internet :)

Look at this away …would you rather..

A: drink three smoothies a day and restrict everything that you view as "bad' and be a starving mess? < this - IMO - will eventually lead to binging and then you are going to hate yourself…

OR

B - eat three to four meals a day of food that you like, be satiated, not feel like you are torturing yourself, and lose weight or the long term? I mean are you really going to drink smoothies for the rest of your life to keep weight off..???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think it might be more reasonable for the long term to have the smoothie as one of your meals each day, not in place of all of them. So like for breakfast or for lunch, and eat lean proteins and vegetables for your other meals.

So I could have a smoothie for break fast and lunch but for dinner something more solid buy healthy?

you could, but I think you are going to be a starving mess….

I think you would do better with no smoothies, real food, a calorie deficit, which will lead to long term weight loss…

• Miamorcapers
    Options
    I love smoothies! But I don 't ever use them exclusively. They are listed as a category on my food diary. Lunch, dinner, smoothies , snacks. The only reason I don't list breakfast is because of my schedule, not because I don't believe in breakfast. lol
    You are welcome to look at my diary for my smoothies, but be warned that I usually just use half greens (like baby spinach) and then fruits and veggies to taste. To shake it up I add in other things that sound good and add nutrients. (Like chia seeds.) I have a nutribullet because I like the consistency it gives. I don't drink my smoothie all at once, I use it throughout the day. It's an awesome way to add in fruits and veggies! :)

I put allot of spinach in mines too. Yeah I'll go check it out! I'm happy I downloaded this app have a lot to learn lol.
  • Miamorcapers
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are going to hate my answer, but you do not need to go on a specific diet to lose weight. It's all about Calories in versus Calories out. You don't need to eat exclusively smoothies to lose weight, and, especially when you're looking into losing a large amount of weight, you need an option that you know you can sustain on for months/years afterwards.

so much this …

and wrapping yourself, really???

OP here is what you need to do:

1. ditch the smoothies and the wraps.
    2. get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything that you eat.
    3. eat real food and eat the foods that you like. you do not need to restrict something just because you think, or someone tells you, it is "bad". so yes, you can fit ice cream, some pizza, etc into your diet just make sure it meet your calorie/macro/micro goals.
    4. if you want to work out/run/move more etc….if you do, find a program and stick to it. This is not necessary for weight loss, but will help with overall health and body composition.
    5. Use MFP to create a calorie defict. Set it to one pound per week loss.
    6. repeat until you get desired results..

weight loss does not have to be self torture. Ten years ago I went from 210 pounds to about 170 pounds and i never used a wrap or did a smoothie diet…

)But if I eat pizza how do I count the calories? Do I make an educated guess?

it depends …if you look in the MFP database they have entries for Papa johns, dominos etc…and you can compare them to what they say on their websites to make sure it is accurate...

If you make your own then just list the ingredients in MFP or put your recipe into the recipe builder…..

Wow, Thanks. Honestly I've been like starving. My husband ordered pizza yesterday it was torture. I'm actaully really going to take this advice. But it is healthy to have a smoothie for breakfast right?

I mean if you really want to have one then it is OK ..

I would also suggest that you kind of get off the mindset of "healthy vs unhealthy" and realize that food is just energy that your body uses. So "healthy" is in the context of ones diet and if they are hitting their particular goals.

Me personally, I would rather have a real breakfast and eat real food, because if I just drank a smoothie for breakfast, I would be starving two hours later….

Are you saying that If I had like bacon and egg sandwich it would be okay, just as long as I count the calories and don't go over by the end of the day?
  • Miamorcapers
    Options

don't believe everything you read on the internet :)

Look at this away …would you rather..

A: drink three smoothies a day and restrict everything that you view as "bad' and be a starving mess? < this - IMO - will eventually lead to binging and then you are going to hate yourself…

OR

B - eat three to four meals a day of food that you like, be satiated, not feel like you are torturing yourself, and lose weight or the long term? I mean are you really going to drink smoothies for the rest of your life to keep weight off..???

Lol, does make a lot of sense. I wasn't only going to make smoothies. I am just so tired failing at diets. I'd try just about anything.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love smoothies, but a smoothie diet, hard work, and wraps, no, wouldn't want to do that to lose weight, no. No.

Why are the wraps bad idea

Wraps aren't bad per se. Theyre just useless. All it does it help you sweat more and lose water weight that'll come back quickly. Just like the foil-ish sweat suits you can buy. Tho those I believe can be far more dangerous

If you're buying them, you can make cheaper ones with cling wraps and prepation H if I recall correctly.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with smoothies in and of themselves, but having smoothies for every meal just sounds horrendous! As long as you're burning more calories than you're eating, you'll lose weight. They say that if you can't do it for the rest of your life, don't do it to lose weight. This is a perfect example. You'll keep it up for a while, but then you'll get fed up, fall off the wagon, and want nothing to do with eating to lose weight because you've had such a miserable experience. Just cut your calories down. I've lost 190 lbs (ish) and there's nothing I ate before that I don't eat now, I just stopped eating whatever I want, whenever I want.
  • Miamorcapers
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I think probably the reaction is more to just eating smoothies, than eating smoothies as part of your day. I am sure a smoothie could be equivalent to a meal, but personally, when I have a meal, I want to chew it. :) I want to sit down with it and enjoy a variety of textures and tastes on my plate. That's not everybody; it's just me.

A "smoothie diet" is really just restricting calories and causing a deficit, which you can do with non-liquid foods too. I think that's what makes people go, "I couldn't do that!" (Or "I wouldn't want to do that.")

Thanks and yeah its been very miserable so far. Especially when dinner comes around with the family.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I know a lot of people are going to hate my answer, but you do not need to go on a specific diet to lose weight. It's all about Calories in versus Calories out. You don't need to eat exclusively smoothies to lose weight, and, especially when you're looking into losing a large amount of weight, you need an option that you know you can sustain on for months/years afterwards.

so much this …

3. eat real food and eat the foods that you like. you do not need to restrict something just because you think, or someone tells you, it is "bad". so yes, you can fit ice cream, some pizza, etc into your diet just make sure it meet your calorie/macro/micro goals.
    4. if you want to work out/run/move more etc….if you do, find a program and stick to it. This is not necessary for weight loss, but will help with overall health and body composition.

weight loss does not have to be self torture. Ten years ago I went from 210 pounds to about 170 pounds and i never used a wrap or did a smoothie diet…

it depends …if you look in the MFP database they have entries for Papa johns, dominos etc…and you can compare them to what they say on their websites to make sure it is accurate...

If you make your own then just list the ingredients in MFP or put your recipe into the recipe builder…..

Wow, Thanks. Honestly I've been like starving. My husband ordered pizza yesterday it was torture. I'm actaully really going to take this advice. But it is healthy to have a smoothie for breakfast right?

I would also suggest that you kind of get off the mindset of "healthy vs unhealthy" and realize that food is just energy that your body uses. So "healthy" is in the context of ones diet and if they are hitting their particular goals.

Me personally, I would rather have a real breakfast and eat real food, because if I just drank a smoothie for breakfast, I would be starving two hours later….

Are you saying that If I had like bacon and egg sandwich it would be okay, just as long as I count the calories and don't go over by the end of the day?

Exactly what he's saying
  • Miamorcapers
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

so much this …

Exactly what he's saying

Hmm thanks.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks and yeah its been very miserable so far. Especially when dinner comes around with the family.

Oh, sweetie. :( I hear ya. I have tried all sorts of "eat only X" diets over the past several years, and watched my family eating, well, whole, well-rounded, fun meals. I have gone off the wagon with all of those plans, again and again.

Being able to eat (while counting the calories) what my family is eating is so much better. You could have had a slice of that pizza, most likely. You could have had a nice gigantic salad on the side.

It's nice to sit down with the family, take your time, and eat something big, but not necessarily calorific. :lol: I like volume. So I like to round things out with tons of veggies. Obviously, I'm counting the veggies too, but they don't have to be plain veggies (though those can be good too). For example, I had a gigantic serving of broccoli the other night with half a tablespoon of butter. My husband had made tacos. I had one taco with my broccoli-fest. I was full to the brim and I had a whole lot of delicious flavors.

How many calories do you need to lose? Have you figured that out yet?

• ndj1979
    Options

so much this …

yes, you can have a bacon and egg sandwich…just log it for the day and make sure you hit or stay below your calorie goal…

my diary is open if you want food ideas..

I am bulking/trying to add weight right now so I am eating like 3000 calories a day...
  • Miamorcapers
    Options

so much this …

yes, you can have a bacon and egg sandwich…just log it for the day and make sure you hit or stay below your calorie goal…

I am bulking/trying to add weight right now so I am eating like 3000 calories a day...

Thanks for the advice... Geesh 3000! Sounds like fun lol
  • ndj1979
    Options

so much this …

oh it has been awesome…but that is only for about another month and then it is going to be cut down time for beach season ….

• Miamorcapers
    Options

so much this …

Oh, sweetie. :( I hear ya. I have tried all sorts of "eat only X" diets over the past several years, and watched my family eating, well, whole, well-rounded, fun meals. I have gone off the wagon with all of those plans, again and again.

Being able to eat (while counting the calories) what my family is eating is so much better. You could have had a slice of that pizza, most likely. You could have had a nice gigantic salad on the side.

It's nice to sit down with the family, take your time, and eat something big, but not necessarily calorific. :lol: I like volume. So I like to round things out with tons of veggies. Obviously, I'm counting the veggies too, but they don't have to be plain veggies (though those can be good too). For example, I had a gigantic serving of broccoli the other night with half a tablespoon of butter. My husband had made tacos. I had one taco with my broccoli-fest. I was full to the brim and I had a whole lot of delicious flavors.

How many calories do you need to lose? Have you figured that out yet?

Yeah I've been there plenty of times. I I have to lose about 1800. The broccoli and taco sound good. How much weight have you lost?
  • Miamorcapers
    Options

so much this …

oh it has been awesome…but that is only for about another month and then it is going to be cut down time for beach season ….

Yeah I'm going to Disney with my best friend And our husband's and kids. Trying to be confident in a bathing suite
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Holy cow the "Here's what you need to do" crowd needs to calm down. @Miamorcapers‌ - Do what you wanna do, if you feel the wraps make you sweat more, do it. IF you feel the shakes are taking some of your calories out of your day do it. Ignore all these "experts" and just keep up the good work!

Hah seriously?!

We're showing her that she doesnt need to torture herself with only smoothies and wrapping herself. She's even said herself its been tough. Losing weight doesnt havent to be difficult at all.
  • Miamorcapers
    Options
    Holy cow the "Here's what you need to do" crowd needs to calm down. @Miamorcapers‌ - Do what you wanna do, if you feel the wraps make you sweat more, do it. IF you feel the shakes are taking some of your calories out of your day do it. Ignore all these "experts" and just keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support. The advice actuallu has helped though. I'm not going to completely cut smoothies out but I'm not going to be as afraid of food either lol