Smoothie Diet

Options

Replies

• manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The wraps worry me more than anything else, to be honest.

They are not sustainable and only give artificial results. I used to do wrestling and we would use that approach for making a weight class because sweating out water weight could help making the cut superficially. The problem is that it involves sweating out hydration that you need to function, especially if you're exercising.

After those weigh ins, we would replenish and often end up at the same weight we were before. It was uncomfortable and not something I would recommend for weight loss. Yes, you can "trick" the scale and have a momentary boost of confidence, but are you planning to not replenish after working out?
  • Ja_ja_jakeya
    Ja_ja_jakeya Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My dad did the smoothie diet for 2 weeks, and lost about 14lbs. He was only allowed 1 ral meal a day and the rest was smoothie. Sure it sounded like a good idea but not only was h starving everyday, he gained that weight right back :/
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are going to hate my answer, but you do not need to go on a specific diet to lose weight. It's all about Calories in versus Calories out. You don't need to eat exclusively smoothies to lose weight, and, especially when you're looking into losing a large amount of weight, you need an option that you know you can sustain on for months/years afterwards.

I cant thonk of a single reasonable person who would hate this answer.

OP its about creating sustainable habits to carry with you for the rest of your life. A crazy fad diet - like an all smoothie diet - isn't sustainable.

But setting a reasonable calorie deficit and eating the foods you love in moderation is. You dont need to give up chocolate cake nor do you need to only consume smoothies. Its all about balance and sustainability.

some people need a break from chocolate cake...a reset. this does not make it a fad. 2 weeks of nutritous smoothies is not a bad idea.

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by everyone's reactions to smoothies. From the information I looked up I honestly thought a smoothie could be equivalent to meal if you made it the right way. Guess I have a lot to learn.
    If you are going to do that for one meal watch your total fiber for the day, that can mess up your digestion and back things up if you don't get enough. How about a quest bar for breakfast, good protein and fiber. At least add bananas and berries, things like that which give you good fiber and make sure to have enough protein, have some balance.
    oh yea quest bar rather than protein filled greek yogurt (23 gr) per cup ,fresh fruit ( fiber) and fat releasing spinach, and potassim and probiotic packed bananas. Go on with your bad self with your smoothies, they sound yummy!

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are going to hate my answer, but you do not need to go on a specific diet to lose weight. It's all about Calories in versus Calories out. You don't need to eat exclusively smoothies to lose weight, and, especially when you're looking into losing a large amount of weight, you need an option that you know you can sustain on for months/years afterwards.

OP its about creating sustainable habits to carry with you for the rest of your life. A crazy fad diet - like an all smoothie diet - isn't sustainable.

But setting a reasonable calorie deficit and eating the foods you love in moderation is. You dont need to give up chocolate cake nor do you need to only consume smoothies. Its all about balance and sustainability.

some people need a break from chocolate cake...a reset. this does not make it a fad. 2 weeks of nutritous smoothies is not a bad idea.

2 weeks of ONLY smoothies, not meeting your calorie or macros is a bad idea. I'm sorry there's just no such thing as a 'reset'.

If it's not sustainable for the rest of your life then it IS a fad diet. It's also a fad diet because you'll lose the weight, but gain it back.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Hahhahahahahaha resets are crocks.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm surprised by everyone's reactions to smoothies. From the information I looked up I honestly thought a smoothie could be equivalent to meal if you made it the right way. Guess I have a lot to learn.
    If you are going to do that for one meal watch your total fiber for the day, that can mess up your digestion and back things up if you don't get enough. How about a quest bar for breakfast, good protein and fiber. At least add bananas and berries, things like that which give you good fiber and make sure to have enough protein, have some balance.
    oh yea quest bar rather than protein filled greek yogurt (23 gr) per cup ,fresh fruit ( fiber) and fat releasing spinach, and potassim and probiotic packed bananas. Go on with your bad self with your smoothies, they sound yummy!

I'm sorry fat releasing spinach? Where does one find that in the store? Also probiotic packed bananas...
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I'm sorry fat releasing spinach? Where does one find that in the store?

In the magical aisle next to the Unicorn meat.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

You…I like you...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I like cake. I just reset my body with pizza. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry fat releasing spinach? Where does one find that in the store? Also probiotic packed bananas...

Possibly next to the Raspberry Keytones and the Green Tea Extract Pills... that's my guess.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I'm sorry fat releasing spinach? Where does one find that in the store?

In the magical aisle next to the Unicorn meat.

Also near the fairy dust?

Have they learned how to can Unicorn rainbow farts yet?
    giphy.gif
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

You…I like you...

Danke =]

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    TopazCute wrote: »
    Love me some smoothies. You got some good advice here but I think at the early stages of weight loss it's not really practical to rely on an all-smoothie diet because it's not sustainable for more than 10-15 pounds.

Did you really remake your whole profile with a vowel missing? :huh:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Love me some smoothies. You got some good advice here but I think at the early stages of weight loss it's not really practical to rely on an all-smoothie diet because it's not sustainable for more than 10-15 pounds.

An all smoothie diet is not sustainable ... PERIOD!

A new account for you?
  • PrizePopple
    Options

A new account for you?

I failed to click over... this is her trolling the forum account.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Holy cow the "Here's what you need to do" crowd needs to calm down. @Miamorcapers‌ - Do what you wanna do, if you feel the wraps make you sweat more, do it. IF you feel the shakes are taking some of your calories out of your day do it. Ignore all these "experts" and just keep up the good work!

Sorry buddy but wraps and smoothies aren't sustainable for long-term success :)

I'm trying to fathom how she could be getting anywhere near enough calories from just smoothies based on the one she posted.

She can't. Not with that recipe. Mine are closer to 500 calories, and I only have one a day, usually for breakfast/first meal. I guess I could technically have 3 of those a day, but somehow I still think I would be looking to chew something and wind up over my calories.

Ditto.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

A new account for you?

Um.. okay...Thanks for agreeing.

I didn't agree with your misconception that it would even be sustainable for just a few pounds ... it is completely unsustainable ... PERIOD!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

A new account for you?

Um.. okay...Thanks for agreeing.[/quote]

Yeah they DIDN'T agree with you. Smoothie diet is NOT sustainable period. Key word there being NOT. Plus they won't meet what they need nutrient wise, therefore it can be unhealthy. So. yeah, there's that.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    edited January 2015
    Options

A new account for you?

I failed to click over... this is her trolling the forum account.

Wow.. rude. Go find one post where I'm "trolling the forum" on this account.

I think everything you posted here is the example of 'trolling the forum' on this account.

I mean, suggesting that a smoothie diet is sustainable in ANY way is trolling.