My roommates won't let me have a cat and I'm pouting!

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    QdfmtQJl.jpg

Nightmares. I shall now have nightmares.
  • babykitty2013
    Options
    Tell them that pets help relieve stress and help people live longer ( known fact around our house :-) We have 5 cats and 2 dogs. I can't imagine my life without ever having a cat. We've always had them. They are a blessing to everyone. If they don't like him/her now, then they will eventually fall in love with them :-) You could also make it a family thing of all of you going out to look at cats and see which one they like best :-) Let them know they can be part of the process of getting one :-)

More importantly, lives are better with pets :-) Just remind them of that :-)
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Cats are gross, they leave hair every place, they claw your furniture and you have to clean the litter box.
    Do your self a favor and get a dog, a rescue, if you want a pet.

Dogs leave way more hair, they eat your underwear and poop on your head when you're sleeping.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    My roommate won't let me bring a cat home either...but she is HIGHLY allergic to them. :/

Anyway, the house voted and you lost. Sorry.:flowerforyou: I love cats too!

i'm highly allergic to cats and dogs. I'm talking head congestion, sneezing, itchiness, watery eyes, want-to-punch-myself-in-the-face allergic. But, I am also highly medicated.

Signed,
    owner of 2 cats and 1 dog
  • martindm3
    martindm3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Cat litter now is so much better at odor control -especially the arm and hammer brand-so that argument is moot. I love cats and would probably just bring one home and let it work its magic as kitties do so well!! Why do they get to dictate what you can and can't have anyway??
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Once you have your own place you can have all the cats, hair and litter boxes you want!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Cats are evil little spawns of satan.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ask :P
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cats smell awful and leave hair everywhere. Your roommates win.

Everyone who says that cat litter has improved is someone that lives with the stench day in and out and therefore doesn't notice it. It still stinks.
  • babykitty2013
    Options
    they got mad and said the litter will smell too bad

tumblr_mj3tbiyQbA1rkj46to1_500.jpg

tumblr_m6o6a99oDG1rwn8hzo1_500.jpg

This cracks me up :laugh:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Don't bring a kitten into an environment where it's not wanted. They are just going to wind up being cruel to it.

Either find a nicer and more supportive bf, move to a place of your own, or get over wanting a cat.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love pets, so I understand how you're feeling. I would caution you to wait until you are in a more permanent living situation. When you're young and renting and sharing places with roommates, it is highly likely that your living situation will change multiple times in the coming years, and it can be really difficult to find rentals or roommates who will accept pets. Wait until you're in a stable living situation in a more permanent place where you will not have to face the tough decision of moving and having to give up your pet.
  • martindm3
    martindm3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've had several friends/guests over and no one ever notices the smell from litter boxes. Of course it helps to clean it regularly and use deoderizers.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Get cat. Bring cat home. Say that you found said cat lost, lonely, cold, hungry and scared. Say that you will only keep cat until another home is found for it. Then make no attempts at finding another home for it... Of course there are lot of setbacks to this plan... and it probably won't work to your benefit..

I tend to agree with one of the pp above, cats are the spawn of Satan and live for the torture they unleash upon you.
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Cats smell awful and leave hair everywhere. Your roommates win.

Everyone who says that cat litter has improved is someone that lives with the stench day in and out and therefore doesn't notice it. It still stinks.

Umm no. I have 6 cats, and my house doesn't smell like cat litter. I clean it regularly and keep air fresheners by it, you can't even smell it if you stand right beside it. Also I brush my cats everyday, and clean my home regularly...there's barely cat fur around here. :flowerforyou:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You get the cat anyways, duh. Let them know you're the king of the castle and they come 3rd and 4th after the cat.

Pretty much this.

This is how I deal with girl friends that tell me my dog can't sleep on the furniture.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Cats are evil little spawns of satan.

This. I hate cats!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My roommate won't let me bring a cat home either...but she is HIGHLY allergic to them. :/

Anyway, the house voted and you lost. Sorry.:flowerforyou: I love cats too!

i'm highly allergic to cats and dogs. I'm talking head congestion, sneezing, itchiness, watery eyes, want-to-punch-myself-in-the-face allergic. But, I am also highly medicated.

Signed,
    owner of 2 cats and 1 dog

^^LOL!! This is me (but 2 cats & 2 dogs), and I'm a vet tech too.

Maybe you should just save up and give yourself a cat fund for when you move out and have your own place where you can do whatever you want.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Cats are gross, they leave hair every place, they claw your furniture and you have to clean the litter box.
    Do your self a favor and get a dog, a rescue, if you want a pet.

Some good points, but dogs require much more work, need to be walked at least 3 times a day, eat more, bark CONSTANTLY and leave just as much hair on furniture as cats, if not more. And with dogs you get the added bonus of potential dog bites and misc things in your house getting eaten, such as couches, chairs, walls, shoes ect.

I personally do like both dogs and cats, for the record. But I feel cats require less work therefore they fit into my lifestyle better.

I think you should've just gotten a cat, brought it home, then deal with what happens after.

Good luck, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Quality cat litter will cover the smell as long as you clean and change it frequently. Females don't spray as much as males, but either way you must get the cat fixed. and yes some will disagree, but declawed if you have decent furniture. I buy the lint rollers at my big box store in 6 packs because my cat is semi long hair, but the dog hair I find is much worse!!

Biggest thing.... cats cost money just like kids. Vet visits, food, litter, toys, etc. It all adds up. Be sure you can afford it before you get it. Goldfish are so much easier, just not quite as loving :bigsmile:

you don't need to get a cat declawed. scratching posts and regular nail trimming curb that need. Besides, would you want your fingers amputated at the knuckle?