Super Obese and need a good starting exercise plan

Options
I am back to MFP after some medical and other life issues. I have sever hypothyroidism. I am wanting to combine a good workout for myself but I obviously have limitations with my size and I have issues with my back. Any ideas? I'm 5 foot 3 and 287 lbs.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Walking is good if you can do that.
    Also look for chair exercises on youtube or DVD.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Swimming, stationary bike, water aerobics, elliptical.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    When I first started out exercising again, I did a lot of riding on a recumbent bike. Now I have my outdoor bike set up on a bike trainer and ride it for an easy low impact workout on my knees. You could also do swimming if you have a pool, or access to a pool at a gym. You may try walking too and gradually build up to longer distances as you see how your back is going to hold up. At the gym when I use the treadmill, I adjust the incline to 1% to alleviate pain on my back.

Hope this helps! You can send me a friend request if you would like.
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    When I first started out exercising again, I did a lot of riding on a recumbent bike. Now I have my outdoor bike set up on a bike trainer and ride it for an easy low impact workout on my knees. You could also do swimming if you have a pool, or access to a pool at a gym. You may try walking too and gradually build up to longer distances as you see how your back is going to hold up. At the gym when I use the treadmill, I adjust the incline to 1% to alleviate pain on my back.

Hope this helps! You can send me a friend request if you would like.

thank you
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Swim! Swimming burns more calories than anything. It gives you cardio and resistance at the same time, is easy on the joints and doesn't make you feel hot and sweaty.

Best of all, it is one of few exercises where the fat doesn't hold you back!!

If you don't like yourself in a swimsuit, get over yourself! Also, get a one-piece jogger (try amazon). They have shorts attached. :)

There's nothing better. Start swimming and watch the pounds met away. Start swimming and feel yourself get stronger. Swimming rocks!

Walking is good, too.

Whatever you do, take it slow. You'll be able to do more as you go. :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Start with what you can do.
    If that's only walking to the end of the driveway, do it. Do it again in an hour. And again.
    Do it again tomorrow every hour you're awake. And the next day.
    Next week, do 2 laps.
    The next week, walk to the neighbor's driveway.
    You get the idea.

Look on youtube or google for "body weight workouts" and do what you can.
    You can put a bag of flour in a couple grocery bags to exercise your arms. Or if that's too much, grab a couple cans of corn, or partially fill a milk jug with water.

If you have a community pool, walk in the shallow end. Sign up for water aerobics. Just swim. (Remember, start small, do what you can, then add to it.)

51637601.png
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree ^^ you can't out work your fork. I also suffer from back issues and i found the elliptical or cross trainer as some call it really helpful. I lost the bulk of my weight that way. :)
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips- I really wish i could get to a pool- Maybe I will try at the Ymca but I think i will try short walks and look up the body weight exercises :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I love doing Leslie Sansone - her workouts are simple yet effective. You can do them at home, so they are excuse proof. You can check out some of her miles on youtube, her dvds sell for like 7-10 bucks at walmart or target.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I would recommend watching youtube for beginner workouts and culling the exercises you like/are able to do, as well as swimming/walking/body weight.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I started at 325, first just with getting my diet under control, then adding in a lot of walking, then swimming and a recumbent stationary bike. I did just that for a few months and have been able to work my endurance and strength up to a lot more, weight training, cycling, elliptical, running, etc. But really, anything that will get you moving and keep you moving is great, if you can only walk 10 minutes today, try for 11 next time and so on. Good luck and feel free to add me if you wish.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walk, water aerobics, bicycling.
  • kdadams66
    kdadams66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just start walking. When my weight loss started I could only walk 3.0 on the treadmill for 30 minutes. That's how it began. Gradually increased the speed, incline and duration. One day at a time. I can remember not wanting to even try the elliptical at the gym because I knew I couldn't do more than 5 minutes. That's how it began. 5 minutes.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I read about a guy who was so fat he could hardly move and the doctors gave him about six months to live. He decided he was going to lose weight by riding a bicycle, because he looked out the window one day and saw a guy riding. It took a special bicycle to hold his weight, but he managed to get down to a weight where he isn't overweight at all.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Walking would be a great place to start!
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    That's what I did when I started out years ago. :)
  • jamie_lynn35
    jamie_lynn35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've also found walking to be a good place to start. At the beginning, I just had to be realistic with myself about what I could do and not feel bad for that which I couldn't do. After I was doing well at a certain speed, I'd slightly increase the speed.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ive recently started dancing again. Its pretty simple..just put on your fav tracks and dance about! It doesnt matter how silly you look or what ur moves are! I found after 20 mins im sweating and my heart rate is raised.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You can always start with walking. I have challenges (disc degeneration and psoriatic arthritis) and started in mid-August with just short walks with a cane. Now I can walk for 3 miles. It hurt at first, but those muscles build as you use them. Do little bits at a time and keep adding to your time. Everyone starts somewhere.

A friend on another forum told me that she knew someone who trained between telephone poles on her street because that's as far as she could move. I found that so inspiring.