Food and Parenting

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's not food... It's artificial chemicals and highly processed crap that kills, which is why this current generation is said to have a shorter life span than there parents. What I mean by a diverse diet is a diet with real food... fruits, vegetables, etc.

It's not anymore artificial chemicals and highly processed than anything treat you make in your own home... and no we don't have a shorter life span than our parents.... real food is anything that we can actually eat... "fake food" is what goes into my daughters play kitchen for pretend....

• shiybaby
    shiybaby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    What differentiates a Quest Bar (something you ate today) from GoGurt?

Would you let your child eat a Quest Bar or would you be concerned with chemicals?

Exactly: Maybe she should be more aware of the food in her OWN food:

Quoted from :http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/12/30/are-quest-bars-really-as-nutritious-as-claimed/
    Quest promotes itself as the “#1 Protein Bar” and at first impression the nutrition numbers look very impressive. Take, for example, the Vanilla Almond Crunch Protein Bar. It’s a 200-calorie bar, but only has half a gram of saturated fat. It’s got 20 grams of protein, which is 40% of the recommended daily intake. The fiber count is super high at 18 grams, almost three fourths of the daily requirement. Most Americans lack woefully in fiber intake; here an individual can erase her deficit with a single bar. Quest sells itself as a low sugar, low carb solution, claiming only 2-6 “net carbs”. Indeed, only 22 grams of carbs, of which 18 are fiber, and just 1 gram of sugars. Amazing.

But then you take a look at the ingredient list, and the house of cards comes crumbling down. This product has “gamed” the nutrition facts panel by using food-like ingredients to compose the bar. Let’s have a look at the Ingredient list:

Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharides, almonds, water, natural flavors, sea salt, lo han guo, sucralose.

First the pros: It is a short list.

Now for the problems. The protein sources are not something you can make at home or buy from a farmer. Whey protein isolate milk protein isolates are a byproduct of cheese production. Body builders buy them in powdered form to add to food and drink. In some cases, they may cause digestive problems such as bloating, cramps, and gas.

Next are the isomalto-oligosaccharides (IMO), the source of fiber in the bar. It is a syrupy goop that tastes slightly sweet but is not considered a sugar because it is a long chain molecule. Although it is found naturally in fermented foods, it is much cheaper to manufacture it in factories by applying enzymes to various starch sources. The problem with ingesting 18 grams of this IMO, is that it feeds only a small subset of our gut bacteria.

A balanced diet with a variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains will provide a much better fiber profile for your digestive system. In our book, IMO is a fake fiber. Incidentally, Quest is being sued now, with the plaintiffs claiming that the actual fiber count is lower than stated in the package.

But we digress.

Whenever we see natural flavors added to a product, we try to imagine what it would taste like without them. Added flavors are made in labs and serve to mask the lack of flavor of the other ingredients in the product. Ask yourself this – do you need to add natural flavors to food you prepare at home?

On to sweeteners.

Lo han guo, also known as monk fruit, is the Chinese equivalent of stevia. Instead of a leaf, this is a fruit. Monk fruit extracts, called mogrosides, can be processed to manufacture a powdered sweetener that is 200 times sweeter than sugar.

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener that may or may not cause cancer, bowel disease, and DNA alterations in mice. We understand that despite no added sugars, this bar is rather sweet due to the addition of processed and artificial sweeteners.

Bottom line:

This product is engineered to taste good and look like a nutrition powerhouse. In fact, it is a highly processed food-like product that we would not eat.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Clay Marzo is a professional athlete with ASD. Looks pretty healthy to me...

marzo.jpg

He looks fit, but you can't tell health by looking at someone. That's why we have medical tests.

shovel-digging-hole-for-digg.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    shiybaby wrote: »

Would you let your child eat a Quest Bar or would you be concerned with chemicals?

Quoted from :http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/12/30/are-quest-bars-really-as-nutritious-as-claimed/
    Quest promotes itself as the “#1 Protein Bar” and at first impression the nutrition numbers look very impressive. Take, for example, the Vanilla Almond Crunch Protein Bar. It’s a 200-calorie bar, but only has half a gram of saturated fat. It’s got 20 grams of protein, which is 40% of the recommended daily intake. The fiber count is super high at 18 grams, almost three fourths of the daily requirement. Most Americans lack woefully in fiber intake; here an individual can erase her deficit with a single bar. Quest sells itself as a low sugar, low carb solution, claiming only 2-6 “net carbs”. Indeed, only 22 grams of carbs, of which 18 are fiber, and just 1 gram of sugars. Amazing.

But then you take a look at the ingredient list, and the house of cards comes crumbling down. This product has “gamed” the nutrition facts panel by using food-like ingredients to compose the bar. Let’s have a look at the Ingredient list:

Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharides, almonds, water, natural flavors, sea salt, lo han guo, sucralose.

Now for the problems. The protein sources are not something you can make at home or buy from a farmer. Whey protein isolate milk protein isolates are a byproduct of cheese production. Body builders buy them in powdered form to add to food and drink. In some cases, they may cause digestive problems such as bloating, cramps, and gas.

Next are the isomalto-oligosaccharides (IMO), the source of fiber in the bar. It is a syrupy goop that tastes slightly sweet but is not considered a sugar because it is a long chain molecule. Although it is found naturally in fermented foods, it is much cheaper to manufacture it in factories by applying enzymes to various starch sources. The problem with ingesting 18 grams of this IMO, is that it feeds only a small subset of our gut bacteria.

A balanced diet with a variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains will provide a much better fiber profile for your digestive system. In our book, IMO is a fake fiber. Incidentally, Quest is being sued now, with the plaintiffs claiming that the actual fiber count is lower than stated in the package.

But we digress.

Whenever we see natural flavors added to a product, we try to imagine what it would taste like without them. Added flavors are made in labs and serve to mask the lack of flavor of the other ingredients in the product. Ask yourself this – do you need to add natural flavors to food you prepare at home?

On to sweeteners.

Lo han guo, also known as monk fruit, is the Chinese equivalent of stevia. Instead of a leaf, this is a fruit. Monk fruit extracts, called mogrosides, can be processed to manufacture a powdered sweetener that is 200 times sweeter than sugar.

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener that may or may not cause cancer, bowel disease, and DNA alterations in mice. We understand that despite no added sugars, this bar is rather sweet due to the addition of processed and artificial sweeteners.

Bottom line:

This product is engineered to taste good and look like a nutrition powerhouse. In fact, it is a highly processed food-like product that we would not eat.

If it tastes good and fulfills my nutritional goals... then hell yeah I'm gonna eat it...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I <3 Quest bars.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I <3 Quest bars.

I would like them better if I didn't have to pay $2+ a bar for them... >:)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    I <3 Quest bars.

Absolutely true. It stings.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    shiybaby wrote: »

But we digress.

On to sweeteners.

Bottom line:

Sorry, but I am actually lolling. This is totally the opposite of what he thinks.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    All right I admit it. I let my son (who has extreme sensory issues) eat 1/2 a cookies and cream questbar as a "protien" choice sometimes. Bring out the pitchforks.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    All right I admit it. I let my son (who has extreme sensory issues) eat 1/2 a cookies and cream questbar as a "protien" choice sometimes. Bring out the pitchforks.
    I wouldn't sweat that, my mom used to let me have tastes of her slimfast shakes and nutrisystem food when that was "the thing" for weight loss. The chocolate pudding was icky :neutral_face:
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    lol my kids, and I dont need to lose any lbs. I just want to get some protien and fiber in to my kid however I can.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And the tar and feathers I think...I mean... :p:)
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    aakaakaak wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    aakaakaak wrote: »
    Okay piling on for cookies...
    "If they want a cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying."

Chocolate Chip Cookie
    1 cup butter, softened - Separated, Enzyme added, pasteurized, aged, washed, salted
    1 cup white sugar - Really? What isn't done to process white sugar?
    1 cup packed brown sugar - white sugar with molasses...which is also a process
    2 eggs - U.S. eggs are chemically washed
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract - You make a chemical tincture of vanilla in pure alcohol
    3 cups all-purpose flour - Yep, pure bleached flour. Nope, no chemicals here.
    1 teaspoon baking soda - You mean NaHCO3? (Imagine the 3 is dropped)
    2 teaspoons hot water - Tap water frequently has fluoride and either chlorine or chloramine.
    1/2 teaspoon salt - The sea salt purification or salt mine purification process?
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips - First you process the cocoa powder. Then you add the processed fats and sugars to process semi-sweet chocolate chips.
    1 cup chopped walnuts - Soaked, husked, dried and sprayed for pests

So what part of an unprocessed cookie are you going to feed your kid?

That is not the recipe I use, I ise this

http://www.beginwithinnutrition.com/2014/04/07/chickpea-chocolate-chip-cookies-vegan-gluten-free/

Kids have no idea when they come to my house they are made from chickpeas, and they are normally the first thing to go.

And all those ingredients are still highly processed:

1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
    ½ cup all natural creamy peanut butter
    ⅓ cup maple syrup
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ cup vegan mini-chocolate chips

oh yes chickpeas are highly processed... not.
    peanut butter is good for you.
    i do not add salt

1/2 choc chips...you say everything on balance yet you are pulling this recipe apart.

did i say there was anything wrong with buying packaged? Gluten free biscuits are a rip off thats why we make our own and we have food allergies. I am not paying $5 for 6 biscuits!!!! Thats why we make our own.

I just...threw up...in my mouth...a little bit.

Please, for the love of all that's holy to NOT try and shovel that down your kid's throat and pass it off as a cookie. When I was a kid I had an aunt who used to try and do carob cookies and various other "healthy" methods. It was the most disgusting crap ever.

These are actually really quite yum,y. When the chickpeas are blended and used for flour, after being cooked you can not tell they are made from chickpeas. My girls love chickpeas so that helps a lot. But carob is DISGUSTING!!!!!

• TheVirgoddess
    Options

I do this sometimes, too. She likes them - whatever.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I do this sometimes, too. She likes them - whatever.

Don't worry doing this once and a while will not kill your child. Parenting is hard work!!!!

• k8blujay2
    edited January 2015
    Options

I still want to know what is wrong with gogurts and chicken nuggets?

Nothing... Though I liked the Chobani Champions better because I liked them and now I can't find them anywhere. :'(

Oh that's why... The discontinued the product for the pouches like they do for mashed fruit.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about feeding my kids the occasional overly processed or "junk" food as long as it isn't making up their ENTIRE daily menu (I think that is the direction OP was going with this). TBH-my only regret with my oldest daughter is making her separate meals from us. Our youngest daughter eats what we eat and isn't picky at all. The oldest? If it isn't one of her 5 regular meal choices, she isn't eating it. She also is very reluctant to try anything new. If I could give any advice to someone who has not had children, it would be to always feed your kids what YOU are eating (with few exceptions such as spicy food or choking hazards, etc.)!
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    Yeah my mom made us eat nothing but health food. Hippie city. I never had white bread until a friend and I were old enough to sneak up to a convenience store and buy a loaf of Wonder bread, which the 2 of us ate as mustard sandwiches (the whole loaf). Hiding in my playhouse.

Then college happened. And I discovered Twinkies and ate a whole box. And fast food. Because I could now eat the forbidden fruit whenever I wanted to.

I had a hard time learning moderation (and still do I guess). So I guess I'm saying I think that's the best approach.

Also, good luck to all the Judgy McJudgersons out there because...karma.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oy.

My kids are growing. 50% to 60% of their calories should come from carbs (preferably complex... But hey).

News flash, adults and kids have different dietary needs. If my kid wants a gogurt, they can have one. ONE, not ten. And I'll eat my chicken breast.

Oh, and they ocassionally get spaghettios. I'd have one too, but I think they taste like a can of smashed *kitten* holes.... But they like them.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    I <3 Quest bars.

I got a big box on Amazon (UK). I got the strawberry cheesecake flavour and after about 5 bars I've decided I don't like it. No wonder it was a bit cheaper....