• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with go-gurts?
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I mean to offend no one. I'm just saying I personally would not feed that stuff to my children even with a balanced diet. If they want a
    cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying

I love the declarations of non-parents about how they will parent. It's adorable.

Yep.

To answer, I feed my 3 kids a mostly unprocessed vegan diet (on @$70 a week) yet, I buy them Oreos (on noes!) For their school lunches, because THEY LIKE THEM! I don't want my kids growing up thinking that treats are bad, because they aren't. I want them to have a healthy relationship with food, and I allow them to make choices. More often than not they chose fruit over cookies. But neither is bad.

And when you have 3 kids and work full time, or even have your hands full as a stay at home mom, sometimes, you are going to pick a store bought treat over all homemade 'unprocessed' version. Because you're tired, you need a break, it's easier. Don't demonize parents that make that choice.
    You really don't know until you've been there.

How do you feed your family on $70/week? I'd love your secrets!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    aakaakaak wrote: »
    Okay piling on for cookies...
    "If they want a cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying."

Chocolate Chip Cookie
    1 cup butter, softened - Separated, Enzyme added, pasteurized, aged, washed, salted
    1 cup white sugar - Really? What isn't done to process white sugar?
    1 cup packed brown sugar - white sugar with molasses...which is also a process
    2 eggs - U.S. eggs are chemically washed
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract - You make a chemical tincture of vanilla in pure alcohol
    3 cups all-purpose flour - Yep, pure bleached flour. Nope, no chemicals here.
    1 teaspoon baking soda - You mean NaHCO3? (Imagine the 3 is dropped)
    2 teaspoons hot water - Tap water frequently has fluoride and either chlorine or chloramine.
    1/2 teaspoon salt - The sea salt purification or salt mine purification process?
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips - First you process the cocoa powder. Then you add the processed fats and sugars to process semi-sweet chocolate chips.
    1 cup chopped walnuts - Soaked, husked, dried and sprayed for pests

So what part of an unprocessed cookie are you going to feed your kid?

That is not the recipe I use, I ise this

http://www.beginwithinnutrition.com/2014/04/07/chickpea-chocolate-chip-cookies-vegan-gluten-free/

Kids have no idea when they come to my house they are made from chickpeas, and they are normally the first thing to go.

And all those ingredients are still highly processed:

1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
    ½ cup all natural creamy peanut butter
    ⅓ cup maple syrup
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ cup vegan mini-chocolate chips
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    "If they want a cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying."

Chocolate Chip Cookie
    1 cup butter, softened - Separated, Enzyme added, pasteurized, aged, washed, salted
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract - You make a chemical tincture of vanilla in pure alcohol
    2 teaspoons hot water - Tap water frequently has fluoride and either chlorine or chloramine.
    1/2 teaspoon salt - The sea salt purification or salt mine purification process?
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips - First you process the cocoa powder. Then you add the processed fats and sugars to process semi-sweet chocolate chips.

http://www.beginwithinnutrition.com/2014/04/07/chickpea-chocolate-chip-cookies-vegan-gluten-free/

Kids have no idea when they come to my house they are made from chickpeas, and they are normally the first thing to go.

⅓ cup maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda

oh yes chickpeas are highly processed... not.
    peanut butter is good for you.
    i do not add salt

1/2 choc chips...you say everything on balance yet you are pulling this recipe apart.

did i say there was anything wrong with buying packaged? Gluten free biscuits are a rip off thats why we make our own and we have food allergies. I am not paying $5 for 6 biscuits!!!! Thats why we make our own.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My kids love go-gurt. We probably eat fast food at least once a week. They also love a lot of vegetables. If they don't like a food, they have to eat a certain portion of it anyway (my 4-year old will seriously close his eyes and hold his nose). The only time I make a separate meal for the kids is if I want to make food that is REALLY spicy for the husband and I. I apply the same rules to their diet as I do mine. Get plenty of nutrients and then there's room for whatever else can fit. And no, just because something is processed does not mean it loses ALL it's nutrients.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Being that I am 19 and inexperienced as I don't have kids of my own, I have to say I agree with the parents saying moderation and let them eat what they like. I could be slightly biased, because I was an extremely picky eater, but my mom let me have a good balance. There were plenty of nights where I had a peanut butter and fluffernutter sandwich with a glass of v8 vegetable juice for dinner. And I was a perfectly healthy kid with no health issues/weight issues (besides being slightly underweight for my age each year, but I am petite)

Also, in for troll tolls
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The other kid maintains a list of four foods that she will actually eat. Currently those are pepperoni pizza, grilled cheese sandwich, Mr. Noodles "soup", and fried egg sandwich. Anything not on the list will not be eaten, and it is not possible to out-patient this kid.

Are you suggesting that if you didn't provide these 4 foods, this child would not eat anything at home, ever?

(i know this wasnt directed at me but...)I have a kid on the spectrum, and YES THAT IS WHAT I AM SAYING.

If you think I havent tried and tried and tried again, read the books, tried this that and the other... visited multiple doctors,sent him to a "eating school" etc... about this food issue. You are so wrong. And I am still encouraging and trying.

I just cant cry about food anymore. He eats. he grows. he is in good health.

I highly recommend mealtimehostage.com for people with extreme picky eaters.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    an example- the boy's dinner was tortilla chips, pistachios, a glass of milk and a juice box. The rest of us had full plates with veggies, beans, chips, the works. But it is what it is.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

<hugs>

• melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Clay Marzo is a professional athlete with ASD. Looks pretty healthy to me...

marzo.jpg

Bless this post!
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options

Chocolate Chip Cookie

⅓ cup maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda

i do not add salt

1/2 choc chips...you say everything on balance yet you are pulling this recipe apart.

did i say there was anything wrong with buying packaged? Gluten free biscuits are a rip off thats why we make our own and we have food allergies. I am not paying $5 for 6 biscuits!!!! Thats why we make our own.

You missed the point of the post you quoted....

...and chick peas are processed, some more than others.

Also, pulling the recipe apart? I posted the ingredients (from the link you postes) and said they were processed. That's not exactly pulling a recipe apart is it? I made no comment as to whether there was anything wrong with it or not.

• Original_Beauty
    Options

Chocolate Chip Cookie

⅓ cup maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda

i do not add salt

Also, pulling the recipe apart? I posted the ingredients (from the link you postes) and said they were processed. That's not exactly pulling a recipe apart is it? I made no comment as to whether there was anything wrong with it or not.

I use the chickpeas you soak overnight, so no they are not processed.

• Original_Beauty
    Options

<hugs>

I can completely relate. You are doing an amazing job.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I mean to offend no one. I'm just saying I personally would not feed that stuff to my children even with a balanced diet. If they want a
    cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying

I love the declarations of non-parents about how they will parent. It's adorable.

Yep.

To answer, I feed my 3 kids a mostly unprocessed vegan diet (on @$70 a week) yet, I buy them Oreos (on noes!) For their school lunches, because THEY LIKE THEM! I don't want my kids growing up thinking that treats are bad, because they aren't. I want them to have a healthy relationship with food, and I allow them to make choices. More often than not they chose fruit over cookies. But neither is bad.

And when you have 3 kids and work full time, or even have your hands full as a stay at home mom, sometimes, you are going to pick a store bought treat over all homemade 'unprocessed' version. Because you're tired, you need a break, it's easier. Don't demonize parents that make that choice.
    You really don't know until you've been there.

How do you feed your family on $70/week? I'd love your secrets!

No secrets really, I shop at Aldis. I buy mostly dried beans, oats, fresh vegetables, canned tomatoes, rice, pasta. And all the fruits. Most things I make from scratch, including stuff like vegetable broth and breads. The stuff I can't get there I get at the bulk bins of our health food store. TVP, bulgur, lentils etc. The prepackaged vegan stuff is an occasional treat. I watch the sales at Kroger, this week Gardein was on sale. Fortunately Aldi is starting to carry things like organic soy milk and the like.

To give you an example bananas @ .44/lb, 2lbs of carrots for .99, 28oz organic canned diced tomatoes @ 1.49, organic soy milk $2.49/half gallon. Aldi is a lifesaver.

• Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options

Chocolate Chip Cookie

⅓ cup maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda

i do not add salt

The point of my post was not how processed chick peas are (which, they are btw. You do not pick them and eat them in their natural state - so they are processed.)
  • Original_Beauty
    Options

Chocolate Chip Cookie

⅓ cup maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda

i do not add salt

The point of my post was not how processed chick peas are (which, they are btw. You do not pick them and eat them in their natural state - so they are processed.)

I would rather eat this 'processed' food then packet foods with a ton of numbers, that is all that I am sayings let's agree to disagree.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options

Chocolate Chip Cookie

⅓ cup maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda

i do not add salt

I would rather eat this 'processed' food then packet foods with a ton of numbers, that is all that I am sayings let's agree to disagree.

That's nice for you - I would rather eat cookies I buy from a store that do not include chick peas as its main ingredient and also have butter and sugar in them, but that's just my preference, as your recipe is yours.

To try to explain the point you seem to have missed, most things are processed. Processed =/= 'bad' or 'unhealthy' or anything of the sort.

So, your recipe, while including a fair amount of processed foods, is absolutely fine, as is the one the poster gave.

Making cookies from scratch, which is what the OP gave as an example, does not make them less inherently processed. Nor are store bought cookies inherently unhealthy.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I didn't have Aldi where I lived before,
    but do have it near my new house. I <3 Aldi
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I used to have OP's attitude. Then I actually had a child and realized that reality is much different than the fantasy of being a perfect parent. I am sometimes ashamed at how I judged friends with kids, when I didn't have any myself, yet thought I knew how to parent.

For the most part, parents do the best they can. We all try to make good choices for our kids as often as we can but due to constraints like budget, time or sheer exhaustion, we do sometimes resort to processed foods. But thanks so much for your concern. I hope that when you have children of your own, you do a better job.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Simple solution - wear condoms.

Why do you care about other peoples kids and what other people are doing with their kids? Once you have kids, you can be "super parent" and do whatever the hell you want! (within reason).

Childless...and grateful.