Replies

• allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    if you got to 129, you still would feel you needed to lose more. trust me
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think you look great and it is quite an accomplishment to go from a size 22 to where you are now - My hats off to you :)
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes, I appreciate where you are coming from! Gratitude, acceptance, and the knowledge you have gained and the improvements you have made to your health, happiness and aesthetics are the focus. You have done an amazing job and look wonderful. Keep allowing yourself to feel wonderful!
  • heartpix
    heartpix Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! I understand your feelings, though, because I am the very same way. I have 10 pounds to reach my goal, and I have trouble balancing self-image with numbers. I hope time will help. Reading this thread is great, and I hope you find that balance without thinking about numbers. BTW, I'm a 55 year old grandma, too. Great job on your healthy transformation!
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your successes! I try to stay in the mindset that my body is just my equipment, not me. But it's the only equipment I'm going to get so it's on me to care for it and keep it in the shape ready to do all the things I want to do. I have been working out most days for over a year, doing hard core weight lifting and although I look much better and have lost 2 clothing size, I have only lost about 12 pounds in a year. But I am hiking, bounding up the stairs, running with my girls, I have energy, I sleep great, my anxiety is way down, I'm trying new things like classes at the gym I never would have done before. I feel really good so I have to tell myself that is the real goal not the number in my head that is actually pretty arbitrary. There is so much pressure on women in particular to be 'er'--prettier, younger, thiner, curvier… I say let's make a promise to not be another voice in our head saying we are not good enough just as we are. That doesn't mean you can't keep working toward the more challenging goals, just deciding that it isn't the end all be all. You know, at my heaviest I was a size 14 and at my thinnest a 6 and even though it felt really really good to get into the 6, I was miserable overall. Now I'm a ten and even though I'd rather be a 6 again, I wouldn't trade my life and state of mind for it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Congrats & you DO look awesome ... period ... not 'look great for your age' nonsense. ;)

I think it's really easy to get fixated on a particular number and anything less - we internalize it as a failure.

The reality is that often times loosing the physical wait is the easy part & within a defined period of time. Our brains on the other hand takes awhile to sort of catch up if you will.

As long as you feel wonderful and vibrant just make a 'Note to Self' to tell your brain to hush & be content. As time passes, your brain will get the message. :)

@RaspberryTickleChicken I love your comment/s (always do! lol) this one in particular as its a very apt comment for me as well as the OP :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love this: "My body is just my equipment." I'm still a work-in-progress in this department, but the major change for me has been learning to see what I eat as fuel--for my body AND for my mind (i.e., a life without treats is no life at all). Like many people, I still see myself as the same, though consciously I know I wear smaller sized clothing. It is a mindf***, no doubt about it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for posting this topic and thank you to all who have responded. I'm "right there" in the quest to go just a little lower even though it doesn't make a bit of difference in how I feel or look if I'm 138, 140, 145 pounds. It makes no difference in how my clothes fit. I'm thrilled at 138 and mentally miserable at 142. I love how I look when I glance in the mirror and I don't critique my body but darned if I don't keep striving for that consistent "slightly under 140" number on the scale....
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats. I'm one of those "if only I was... " people, too. I don't seem to allow myself to be happy for my accomplishments so far. I admire your coming to terms with this. For me, I think little "I am not there yet..." can be a good thing. In the past I have yo-yo'd and I think that's because I always took my foot off the pedal and became complacent. This time, I have weight/size goals but also performance goals in mind. As long as I am able I will be working towards something. I hope it's not weight loss for the rest of my life but, instead, running a 5k or 10k, doing a biathlon, achieving PRs in strenght exercises, bodyfat% goals, etc. I'm hoping this is the winning recipe for me.

Again, I think you look fantastic.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thank you OP for posting this topic and thank you to all who have responded. I'm "right there" in the quest to go just a little lower even though it doesn't make a bit of difference in how I feel or look if I'm 138, 140, 145 pounds. It makes no difference in how my clothes fit. I'm thrilled at 138 and mentally miserable at 142. I love how I look when I glance in the mirror and I don't critique my body but darned if I don't keep striving for that consistent "slightly under 140" number on the scale....

You look great, too, btw!