Should I eat my protein bar before or after training abs?

Is it better to eat my protein bar way earlier in the day before training my abs or right after I train them? Does it matter? Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Makes not one bit of difference. Do it whatever way you prefer.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    During
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Doesn't matter at all.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    it's more important that you get your daily protein, not necessarily when you take it throughout the day. just make sure you get a good percentage of protein with every meal. I try to eat about 20% of my calories In protein.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    If you are weight training (lifting) it does matter. I was eating/drinking part of my protein 30 minutes before and 1 hour after and some with my meals.

However, I was building so muscle quickly and my weight loss stalled. I was building a lot muscle and I was getting huge.

So I started eating/drinking protein 1.5 hour after work out and of course with my meals. I then started IF which I ate everything in a 6 hour window (for me from 11:30 to 5:30 and this made a difference too.

I think it depends on your work out (lifting, if and when you do cardio) and your goals and when you work out and start eating for the day (break fast) for muscle building. Muscle building I say before and after and of course with your meals.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    You should smear it on your abs.

JK. Eat it whenever you want. Meal timing windows are a myth.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Eat when your hungry! Timing wise, it doesn't really matter!

However I don't know about you, but I think an important factor here is if you're able to give your workout 100% after eating. I know I need time to digest before I do anything otherwise I'll be bloated and slower through my workout.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    There are different responses. Check the internet...

Here is one that says right after work out to build muscle: http://www.bigalsfamilyfitness.com/be-healthy/when-should-i-eat-protein/

there are professional body builders that can also recommend or have experience with this. Check these out on the internet. Various comments and recommendations.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    If you are just training abs then there is no reason to have pre, peri or post workout protein. You're not doing enough muscular damage to necessitate a large quantity of protein or carbs around the time of your workout. If you do some actual weight lifting at some point during that training session you would need to though.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    If you are weight training (lifting) it does matter. I was eating/drinking part of my protein 30 minutes before and 1 hour after and some with my meals.

However, I was building so muscle quickly and my weight loss stalled. I was building a lot muscle and I was getting huge.

So I started eating/drinking protein 1.5 hour after work out and of course with my meals. I then started IF which I ate everything in a 6 hour window (for me from 11:30 to 5:30 and this made a difference too.

I think it depends on your work out (lifting, if and when you do cardio) and your goals and when you work out and start eating for the day (break fast) for muscle building. Muscle building I say before and after and of course with your meals.

What in the world did I just read?...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

Wait so all I have to do to build muscle is eat a protein bar 30 mins before and I'll be huge??? Damn I've been doing it all wrong
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member

What the hell did I just read?

I can't even
    Where do I start

NO just no.
  • Hornsby
    adowe wrote: »

I can't even
    Where do I start

NO just no.

What? A 46 year old female building muscle instantly while eating at deficit because of the timing of protein doesn't sound plausible? Come on...

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member

What?

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Yeahhhh... No.
    bluth-no.gif
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Hornsby wrote: »

I can't even
    Where do I start

NO just no.

What? A 46 year old female building muscle instantly while eating at deficit because of the timing of protein doesn't sound plausible? Come on...

Even better a 46 y/o woman eating about 1000 calories a day is getting bulky
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member

I can't even
    Where do I start

NO just no.

Jen I'm lmfao !!! Why is it that these ladies seem to have no problem getting bulky on here, but I have to bust my butt to try to gain a little muscle. I must be doing it wrong too. Lmao!!!! :-) :-)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

lol.
  • Hornsby
    Thorsmom05 wrote: »

I can't even
    Where do I start

NO just no.

Jen I'm lmfao !!! Why is it that these ladies seem to have no problem getting bulky on here, but I have to bust my butt to try to gain a little muscle. I must be doing it wrong too. Lmao!!!! :-) :-)

Because if you don't believe in science, it doesn't apply to you apparently.

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Well, everyone here has pretty much put what I was going to say about women getting bulky in a deficit from protein timing... that alone is lol but especially that part in her profile that says she has to eat 800-1000 calorie to lose because she's 5'4 ". Not sure what magic you possess but lend me your magic to create enough energy on such low calories to build muscle.

Hai. 5'3.5 " here and I lose at 1650 net not exercising and I spent 7 months bulking (2350 calories) and don't seem to be able to get bulky. Can't wait to see where this goes...

w7iiww.gif
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Ate my protein bar, and am now waiting to get bulky!!!!! Lmao!!!
  • GiveMeCoffee

You're gonna look like this by tomorrow morning

muscle_korra_color_by_mariangts-d5dfz2r.png
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member

Lol.

Please stop offering horrible advice.

It's very misleading and I'd hate for someone to actually think this is true.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    before. Use it as an intensity test.

That protein bar should be a rental.
  • Phoenix_Down
    edited January 2015

You're gonna look like this by tomorrow morning

muscle_korra_color_by_mariangts-d5dfz2r.png

My god, Korra. You're shredded!
    fylmy9.gif
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Not during your workout for sure, but outside of that it doesn't matter. If you need something for during get some Gatorade.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    if you want to reduce fat % (and at the same time this will make your abs more visible) then it is best to exercise on an empty stomach, before breakfast...take for example BCAA instead of protein bar after you wake up...then training then eat. dring water during training
  • Phoenix_Down
    edited January 2015

Here is one that says right after work out to build muscle: http://www.bigalsfamilyfitness.com/be-healthy/when-should-i-eat-protein/

there are professional body builders that can also recommend or have experience with this. Check these out on the internet. Various comments and recommendations.

Because they can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true.

wmi647.gif

Also, of course there's different responses. All of your responses are complete nonsense and broscience. Congratz on being confusing
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    tziol wrote: »
    if you want to reduce fat % (and at the same time this will make your abs more visible) then it is best to exercise on an empty stomach, before breakfast...take for example BCAA instead of protein bar after you wake up...then training then eat. dring water during training
    This is also false.

Recent research has shown no fat-loss advantage from training fasted vs fed.

You can eat before training and see the same resuits in fat loss.
  • GiveMeCoffee

And I'm a french model

f4ecd837ce6daec3fc871a2a591e04b8b0a974a40cd836a6b84723d0265152bb.jpg