Should I eat my protein bar before or after training abs?

2»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    If you are weight training (lifting) it does matter. I was eating/drinking part of my protein 30 minutes before and 1 hour after and some with my meals.

However, I was building so muscle quickly and my weight loss stalled. I was building a lot muscle and I was getting huge.

So I started eating/drinking protein 1.5 hour after work out and of course with my meals. I then started IF which I ate everything in a 6 hour window (for me from 11:30 to 5:30 and this made a difference too.

I think it depends on your work out (lifting, if and when you do cardio) and your goals and when you work out and start eating for the day (break fast) for muscle building. Muscle building I say before and after and of course with your meals.

ROFLOL.gif
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    During

I've done this before haha
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    There are different responses. Check the internet...

Here is one that says right after work out to build muscle: http://www.bigalsfamilyfitness.com/be-healthy/when-should-i-eat-protein/

there are professional body builders that can also recommend or have experience with this. Check these out on the internet. Various comments and recommendations.

7m492s1groqg.gif
  • LotusAsh
    edited January 2015
    If you are weight training (lifting) it does matter. I was eating/drinking part of my protein 30 minutes before and 1 hour after and some with my meals.

However, I was building so muscle quickly and my weight loss stalled. I was building a lot muscle and I was getting huge.

So I started eating/drinking protein 1.5 hour after work out and of course with my meals. I then started IF which I ate everything in a 6 hour window (for me from 11:30 to 5:30 and this made a difference too.

I think it depends on your work out (lifting, if and when you do cardio) and your goals and when you work out and start eating for the day (break fast) for muscle building. Muscle building I say before and after and of course with your meals.

ykxqxvy8ukb1.jpg
    1.jpg 59.9K
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Protein timing only matters if your overall protein intake is low. Likely because you are dieting. If you are overall losing weight then some protein after a workout may help to build a little muscle and/or stall muscle loss. But if your protein intake over the period of a day is substantial there is really no such thing as an "Anabolic Window". That being said I usually try to have a bit of protein after I workout. Largely because it fills me up and stops me from instead eating the entire contents of my fridge.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Thorsmom05 wrote: »
    Ate my protein bar, and am now waiting to get bulky!!!!! Lmao!!!

You're gonna look like this by tomorrow morning

muscle_korra_color_by_mariangts-d5dfz2r.png

Yep that's me, all because I was able to get bulky while eating at a deficit....lmao... Wouldn't it be nice if it where that easy for women!!!!!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Quote from Brian a Sports Nutritionist:
    "Always eat something before cardio to burn Fat and NOT glycogen in muscles.
    Have protein bar or shake straight after weights to replace glycogen in muscles."
    This is NOT a myth people.
    I was doing cardio straight after getting up and burning glycogen in muscles and NOT the fat. Since having toast and banana before cardio when I get up I have MORE energy and burn fat straight away, then breakfast straight after. Protein shake after weights.
    In 2 weeks BF% 46.3% to 44.9% and muscle 21.3% to 23.7% I am 66 and used to be a body builder before statins almost destroyed my skeletal muscles. LONG way back to 20% BF
    Brian says there is a window for replacing protein and glycogen in muscles
  • LotusAsh
    Lestan48 wrote: »
    Quote from Brian a Sports Nutritionist:
    "Always eat something before cardio to burn Fat and NOT glycogen in muscles.
    Have protein bar or shake straight after weights to replace glycogen in muscles."
    This is NOT a myth people.
    I was doing cardio straight after getting up and burning glycogen in muscles and NOT the fat. Since having toast and banana before cardio when I get up I have MORE energy and burn fat straight away, then breakfast straight after. Protein shake after weights.
    In 2 weeks BF% 46.3% to 44.9% and muscle 21.3% to 23.7% I am 66 and used to be a body builder before statins almost destroyed my skeletal muscles. LONG way back to 20% BF
    Brian says there is a window for replacing protein and glycogen in muscles

Replacing glycogen yes... burning fat... no.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Your overall protein intake is far more important than timing. Beyond that, why are you only training your abs?
  • JennJayBee
    JennJayBee Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2015
    Well, I'm deleting my reply. I guess I should read before I respond. Whoopsie!
  • Lofteren wrote: »
    If you are just training abs then there is no reason to have pre, peri or post workout protein. You're not doing enough muscular damage to necessitate a large quantity of protein or carbs around the time of your workout. If you do some actual weight lifting at some point during that training session you would need to though.

Exactly.

Also, this thread is hilarious.